Compact drum kit - 20" BD is no smaller than a 22" BD ??

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I mean is this.
If you look at compact drum kit with 1 up and 1 down. Lets say with a 12" rack and a 14" floor.
The footprint width of those two drums is wider than 20".
Meaning that a 22" BD wouldn't necessarily be a "wider" footprint than a 20" BD.
So, when creating a compact kit, I don't see an advantage to a 20" over the 22" BD.
Now, BD depth is definitely a concern. I'm just talking about drum diameter here.

I don't see the advantage to stepping down from a 22" BD to a 20" or 18" when trying to make a compact footprint on stage.
The snare, toms, and ride will still dictate the required width.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel the same, 20" and 22" are essentially the same size footprint-wise. I always assumed you go down to an 18 for lower volume situations. I've never used and less than a 22", even for lower volume gigs. I might change out the beater to a softer felt to lower the volume but I wouldn't get a smaller kick just for those gigs.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well you might be able to say the cymbal stands (legs) Right and Left on either side of the bass will be able to be, pulled in closer (to the center) So the set may be narrower East- West.
.....N.....
W,,,,,,,E
,,,,,S....

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it isn't stage footprint that is the issue but weight and what fits into your vehicle better ...... I have always been happier with an 18" bass drum of 14" depth and that is as loud as needs be for any situation.
True. In my situation it is all about playing on very small stages. Travelling size and weight is not the issue. In my case, I don't see that an 18" or 20" would necessarily take up any less space than the 22", assuming the depth is equal. I would always use a 12" rack tom and a 20" ride. So, the bass drum diameter doesn't even come into play on my stage footprint.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I set up my Hipgig and Radio king’s. 16” and 22” basses. 13” and 16” floor toms.Measuring across, 2” difference in width. Not much! That’s partially due to the floor Tom

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The smaller bass drum makes a little difference as you can squeeze the amps in a little closer if using a bass drum mounted cymbal arm for the ride and arrange other cymbal stands or in extreme cases only go with the one cymbal....but not much of a difference. Like others said volume is a difference, but not by much either. Also an 18" is a little easier to carry...I prefer the 22" but use the 18" more it seems

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it's all about how the tom is mounted. I prefer 12" rack toms and I like them more over the kick than to the left of it (or right depending on your hand) if using a snare stand to hold it. In fact that extra 1" that a 22" kick moves my 12" to the left is enough to keep me from using a snare stand with that size kick and I'm back to hauling a heaver cymbal stand to fly the tom off of.

I prefer the sound of a 22" the weight and flexibility of an 18" so a 20" is my comprimise.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
What I mean is this.
If you look at compact drum kit with 1 up and 1 down. Lets say with a 12" rack and a 14" floor.
The footprint width of those two drums is wider than 20".
Meaning that a 22" BD wouldn't necessarily be a "wider" footprint than a 20" BD.
So, when creating a compact kit, I don't see an advantage to a 20" over the 22" BD.
Now, BD depth is definitely a concern. I'm just talking about drum diameter here.

I don't see the advantage to stepping down from a 22" BD to a 20" or 18" when trying to make a compact footprint on stage.
The snare, toms, and ride will still dictate the required width.
So, in your mind, a 22/13/16 kit and a 20/12/14 kit both have approx. the same footprint.
Is that what you're saying?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find that stage depth is usually the prime real estate and width not as much, at least on the stages I play on. That is why I am so anti-18" depth. The improvement in sound--if there even is one, but let's not go there--is not, imo, worth the increased heft.

I love the 8"x20" bass drums that I've heard from Premier and Pearl.

Such a challenge to try to make something ergonomically feasible for easy setup/teardown. I almost wish I needed one frequently.

Dan

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
You have to go to some unusual sizes to make much of a difference in either stage footprint or vehicle space. I have a 10” deep 24 that definitely fits shallow stage space better than average; and I have a converted 16x16 that definitely fits better in a compact car.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I converted a 18" tom to a bass drum but full foot print was the same as the 22" bass.
#1 I play two toms up mounted from cymbal stands; a 10 and 12 tom so it didn't matter what the size bass drum I was using.
#2 From front to rear was the same because both bass drums had a 16" depth.

LOL, one night a bandleader said he like the smaller bass drum better because it saved space. He was suprised when I explained why there was no difference in the overall foot print.

But now I have a 14x20 bass drum, same thing with a 10 and 12 tom but it is shorter by 2" from front to rear. This last weekend I added the ATLAS rail mount and an extra ATLAS tom mount to the bass drum. I've decided when playing in crowded areas I'll just use one tom mounted from the rail and one cymbal arm (ATLAS Scissor Lift) mounted from the tom mount. That configuration eliminates two Cymbal/tom stands which WILL make a much smaller foot print from side to side.

sherm

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find that stage depth is usually the prime real estate and width not as much, at least on the stages I play on. That is why I am so anti-18" depth. The improvement in sound--if there even is one, but let's not go there--is not, imo, worth the increased heft.

I love the 8"x20" bass drums that I've heard from Premier and Pearl.

Such a challenge to try to make something ergonomically feasible for easy setup/teardown. I almost wish I needed one frequently.

Dan
I agree on the BD depth. I have a 22 x 14 Yamaha BD that sounds as good or better than any 18" depth BD. I see some brands making 16" deep BDs again. Hopefully, the trend continues and we see 14" deep again, as standard.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never approach "compact" as a size issue it's more of a "what I need to bring" issue. I try to always bring as little as possible to get the job done, there have been many times I use a 20" bass drum at 16" deep but then I just have a snare, hats and a crashable ride cymbal mounted off of the bass. This takes almost no room on the stage at all.

chillybase

Reaction score
This is a timely thread as I've been kicking around the idea of slightly downsizing my kit to a 20/14/12. Sometimes I consider bop sizes.

If the sizes don't change the footprint, do they benefit from being lighter or compact in other ways?

A couple of reasons, I'd like to go smaller are:
1) To fit in my Honda Fit better
2) To save my back (Xrays over the summer revealed discs that will eventually go - and I'm only in my early 40s)

I still haven't moved on the idea yet.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes a smaller drum will fit better in a small car. For weight, obviously a smaller size of the same brand model will weigh a little less; but a different design of drum might use lighter materials, so you can pick a lightweight bass drum without downsizing.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me a 22" is standard, sounds the best, and "feels" natural.
I can do a 20" if needed, but an 18" is just a challenge.
Even if I can get a good sound from an 18", the feel just isn't there.
The way the beater rebounds off the head if very different from a 22".

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer a 20"er for tom and ride height.
This is what I was thinking I need a 20 for. I want my rack tom to only be slightly higher than my snare drum head and with only enough inward tilt to keep from hitting the rim constantanly with the stick.