Compact drum kit - 20" BD is no smaller than a 22" BD ??

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A 20" will save you exactly one inch per side over a 22". Certainly not an earth shattering difference. Similarly, my personal experience has been that I like my cymbals in the same place regardless of which set I use, so I'm not really saving any real estate there, either. As others have said, depth usually plays a more important role on a stage than width.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking I need a 20 for. I want my rack tom to only be slightly higher than my snare drum head and with only enough inward tilt to keep from hitting the rim constantanly with the stick.
Yup. I want each drum at an angle where I can do a rim shot. Floors too.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OP mentioned ride size being a factor, too. I find that's true, and that's why I prefer 20" rides most of the time on small stages, or even an 18" flat as main.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Since there's a playability factor involved, my 24/12/16 doesn't take up that much more space than my Breakbeats 16/10/13. There's probably a 3" or 4" difference in width at most and no difference in depth since they're both 14" deep bass drums. However, because the Breakbeats are individually smaller they appear more compact as a whole and look like they take less stage space since there's no side-by-side comparison and they also "look" quieter, even if they're not much different in that regard as well.

A 20" will save you exactly one inch per side over a 22". Certainly not an earth shattering difference. Similarly, my personal experience has been that I like my cymbals in the same place regardless of which set I use, so I'm not really saving any real estate there, either. As others have said, depth usually plays a more important role on a stage than width.
That one inch difference is irrelevant once you add in a floor tom, at least in my setup. My floor tom is positioned the same regardless of the size of the bass drum, so the diameter of that drum is more of a consideration in the overall width of my setup. Comparing the floor toms in my regular kits to my "compact" kit they're 16" vs 13" so really only a difference of 1.5" either side. Like you said, not an earth shattering difference.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, just today at work I was going to buy an 18x15 bass drum for my "small" kit. But in reality my 20x12 takes up LESS floor space, and sounds fuller to me.
Cool, I just saved myself $200!

Stretch
let me get this straight...a 20x12 takes up less space than an 18x15?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, 3” less depth of stage space, and the difference in width doesn’t make any noticeable change to the usable stage space.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
There is a slight difference between the 20” and 22” but not to the point that one should consider switching to 20” to save space.
Your bass depth, cymbal setup, and your own height dictate what area you need for your entire setup in my opinion.
I like the 18” and 20” with shallow depth more for the rack tom position, I don’t like to setup my tom on a snare stand and my 22” bass drum doesn’t give me the tom position I want. I have both 18” and 22” and currently considering a kit that happens to come with 20” bass. The smaller sizes are way more portable and easier to transport in any car.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I only changed to a smaller bass because of the weight factor, I'm now 75 years old and still enjoy playing. For years I lugged around a 16x22 bass; a Ludwig late 80's and that thing is heavy. So I converted the hardly ever used, 16x18 floor tom to bass. Although not saving foot print I did save a lot on weight. Last year I purchased a smaller new kit but because the 18 was lacking in some venues like out doors and extra large dance halls I decided to buy a 14x20 bass which only saves 2" of front to rear floor space but it does cover my needs and it is much lighter than the 16x22 bass.

sherm

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
let me get this straight...a 20x12 takes up less space than an 18x15?
A 20x12 is 240 cubic inches while an 18x15 is 270 cubic inches, but I'm assuming he means it takes up less space because it's shallower and that's generally where bass drums affect the stage space the most.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
A 20x12 is 240 cubic inches while an 18x15 is 270 cubic inches, but I'm assuming he means it takes up less space because it's shallower and that's generally where bass drums affect the stage space the most.
Yes, when I said floor space I was referring to the depth, which to me is where it takes up more or less space that's noticeable on a stage area. True, an 18" diameter will take up 2" less sideways space than a 20", but to me that's less of an issue when trying to crowd into a small area.
Because I now mount both my crashes and ride cymbal off the top of my bass drum [on my Yamaha kit], as well as the one rack tom, I have much less taking up "floor" space. However, with my Ludwig kits I still have the ride cymbal on a stand on the ground, so it takes up a little more floor room.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think we are mostly all agree that the bass drum width (diameter) is not a big factor for stage space, considering the ride, toms, etc. width make up the main factor. However, bass drum depth does have a direct impact on stage floor space. I don't think I'll ever buy a 18" deep BD drum again. My 16" and 14" deep BDs are not lacking at all in tone. BD weight? Even the largest BD is lighter than a guitar amp. Travel space? Yeah, this is where a smaller BD, all around, has it's benefits. But when I guy tells me my kit is too large on stage, I'll make it clear that the BD diameter is not a factor.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Was thinking about "space" the other day. Had a gig a while back where the bandleader tells me..."we want to all fit on the stage so bring the small kit possible" 5 piece band on a 8x10ish stage. Fine I brought 14x18 kick with a 18" ride mounted to it, snare and hats. We also have a piano player in the band, he of course still brought his 88 key keyboard...why not tell him to bring a 61 and just deal with it. We also had upright bass that day...maybe he should buy one of those electric "stick" basses to save space.... ok rant over, I feel better :)

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
The place we played Saturday had a really shallow stage, so I set up as far into the corner as I could. However, the backline kit had an 18" deep bass drum, so it was right behind our bass player's legs. It's kind of a pain to get drums in there because of the very narrow staircase up to the stage, but I think it might be worth it to bring my own kit next time, especially considering the condition of the hardware and drums there.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
A 20x12 is 240 cubic inches while an 18x15 is 270 cubic inches...
Beach Boy,

I think you may have transposed area for capacity.
20x12 bass drum displaces 3769.92 cu. in.
18x15 bass drum displaces 3817.044 cu. in.
...20" bass drum still displaces less volume, though, so either way you're right...but now the figures are correct. ;)

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In terms of space saved you're absolutely right. There is virtually no difference if depth is equal. I happen to like 18 and 20 inch bass drums (for stated tom height) but fully acknowledge it's not taking up less space. They're a bit more portable and fit in the car easier maybe but even that depends on the drum. Pretty sure my Club Date 22 weighs less than my Brooklyn 18.

There's really no reason to use a Breakbeats other than you think it's cool.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a smaller pub last week with my Tama Neo Mod, 10x20 bass drum, and everyone appreciated the smaller footprint. Also, it could cut through a live band with elec guitar, elec bass, cello, and sax just fine.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Beach Boy,

I think you may have transposed area for capacity.
20x12 bass drum displaces 3769.92 cu. in.
18x15 bass drum displaces 3817.044 cu. in.
...20" bass drum still displaces less volume, though, so either way you're right...but now the figures are correct. ;)
You're right. I'm blaming it on my kid :) He's always going for the keyboard when he's on my lap.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Small stages usually mean smaller venue. Why bring a 22 BD? Even if it's a pancake size?

I regularly gig with a nesting kit with a 16" bd. With a riser and an Aquarian Superkick or Powerstroke3 head, it works out great for most situations and it's easy to move.

FWIW, I also have an 18, 20 and 22 BD. Unless its a loud rock gig, I can play what I need to with the 18 or 20 just fine. But what I love most about the 16 or 18 kits are they are easy to move around and easy to store at home.

Shallow BD's can be cool too. There's a bar in Brooklyn I play that has a house kit with a really shallow 18 x 10 BD that is so much fun to play. I do love that drum...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The more I gig my 16x16 conversion, the more I like it in terms of punch and where the tone sits in the mix of my small jazz/funk combo. I have other bigger or more “normal” basses, and they stay at home more often lately. Because of the depth, and the fact that I have it up on tall legs, it actually takes about as much stage space as a 22x16. But it’s easier to pack up and throw in the back seat.

Latest posts