compairison video of my cymbals

Base

Reaction score
I decided to make another video of (most of) my Jazz cymbals. It´s been a few years since my last one and obviously I have a lot of time on my hands these days....
This time i decided to go with sets instead of single pies. I´ve tried to capture the sound of the cymbals as accurate and naturally as possible without any effects. And I´ve also brought them up a bit more than normal in the mix so they can be heard better. All the volume settings stayed the same for each different set, so if a cymbal sounds louder it actually is. Unfortunately my playing is a bit sloppy at times, but it should still deliver a sufficiently accurate representation of the cymbals.
I thope you can find a spare 15 minutes to watch, and am loking forward to your feedback.
thank you

IJR

Reaction score
My favorites for me were the Light, Ren, and prototype. Was the 20" K Prototype prototyping a Bill Stewart?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones that stood out to me were the Johan hi-hats. I've never heard of Johan — do you know any backstory on them?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! Those sounded great.
I've never really shopped for a Jazz setup of cymbals. Not sure why.
But those cymbals blended so well.
It's wild, but I don't really like the sound of a jazz cymbal by itself when I test one. It's odd sounding to me.
But when they sit in with the music like you have here ... just wow. They sound incredible.
I have some learning to do ... obviously.
I didn't have a favorite. They honestly all blew me away. So perfect sounding with that music.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old ks the most mature
not saying one always wants to be the most mature but they're the old sound because they were the old sound.

the "Dark set" was interesting..
thing is If you're going to play a "Motian set" the tune could have changed to (a Motian- style tune (if that even exists in a music minus one)
(otherwise almost unfair to compare modern with the old Ks - the old Ks were there (on record) and in the style of the background music track (the others not) in the old bop context
almost a stylistic thing (favoring old Ks) when it comes to old bop ...now if the background (music) was* different say a total modern funk hip hop...then the adaptability of the "cyms" might have changed.

2 cents
* different say a Donna Summer disco music minus vocal background
the semi hardbop background track as it was plays right into the old Ks hand.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones that stood out to me were the Johan hi-hats. I've never heard of Johan — do you know any backstory on them?
Johan was a Belgian cymbal maker who died in 2008. Google Johan VDS. As did Mike Skiba. And Roberto Spizz. I've always wondered if working on cymbals caused or contributed to their passings....

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Scdr was the best. No contest ...not an opinion...fact

:D

Ha ha

Nice video

.... ps did you read my private message?

marc3k

Reaction score
Best 15min spent today! Thanks for sharing - great playing! You have an exquisite selection of cymbals!
That K Con Renaissance is great, I always wanted to buy one but think they're too expensive.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just noticed after watching again that you play alot farther in on the scdr than i do on mine.
I play closer to the edge.

Is that on purpose? Feels better/sounds better?

What is the weight on the scdr

ThomasL

Reaction score
You make them all sound great. The old K set was my favorite, but I also liked the K Con Light and the Proto. Even the block stamp was very nice for an A ;-)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the skip around version....nice playing! The Ren was nice but similar to the Light. I like the K Istanbul #4

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great sounds all round but I wasn't too fond of the Agop Xist. I own a set of Johan 14" hats myself and got a good kick out of seeing/hearing another pair out there. Fabulous instruments.

What weight is the K Dark medium ?

Base

Reaction score
My favorites for me were the Light, Ren, and prototype. Was the 20" K Prototype prototyping a Bill Stewart?
You´re correct. I was looking for a sound in that direction. I´ve bought it from a very well known drummer who has very good connections to Zildjian and he told me it was made in the developing stages of either series 2 or 3. don´t remember exactly, sorry!

Reactions: IJR

Base

Reaction score
Johan was a Belgian drummer and, as JazzDrumGuy allready pointed out cymbal maker that unfortunately has left us far too soon. He did nice work reworking (and oftentimes completely) cymbals. I noticed him through cymbalholic maybe 15 years ago and bought about 4 from him as far as I remember. He made hats especially for me to fit my then goto set of an Agop LE06 and a Jojo Mayer fierce ride that he reworked to sound similar to a KCDCR in 20,5. I´ve long sold the cymbals, but will never part with the hats. They are hands down the best set for small group acoustic Jazz that I´ve ever seen or heard. I´ve gotten lots of compliments from them (for hi hats - how often does that happen?) and always come back to them after one show should I bring one of my other pairs. And I´ve heard a few others made by him that, while not as fantastic as mine :wink: still all sounded excellent. I´ve since come to the conclusion, that they´ve been his special forte and Johan hi hats aresomething very special.

Base

Reaction score
Old ks the most mature
not saying one always wants to be the most mature but they're the old sound because they were the old sound.

the "Dark set" was interesting..
thing is If you're going to play a "Motian set" the tune could have changed to (a Motian- style tune (if that even exists in a music minus one)
(otherwise almost unfair to compare modern with the old Ks - the old Ks were there (on record) and in the style of the background music track (the others not) in the old bop context
almost a stylistic thing (favoring old Ks) when it comes to old bop ...now if the background (music) was* different say a total modern funk hip hop...then the adaptability of the "cyms" might have changed.

2 cents
* different say a Donna Summer disco music minus vocal background
the semi hardbop background track as it was plays right into the old Ks hand.
How comes I knew before you´d like the old Ks the best......?

fact is I do too :)
I get what you´re saying about the different music styles, but then the video would ´ve lost the compairison aspect.

Base

Reaction score
I just noticed after watching again that you play alot farther in on the scdr than i do on mine.
I play closer to the edge.

Is that on purpose? Feels better/sounds better?

What is the weight on the scdr
The SCDR neither sounds nor feels good to me :)
actually I like the way it sounds on recordings. But it´s so much more heavy and stiffer than what I like to play, that I´ve only used it for one Jazz gig. And when I play Rock I´m so used to the Dark Medium (playing it since they first came out) that I´ve also only used the Dark Ride only very few times. I´ve kind of known this before, but the guy I bought the (absolutely fantastic and now my goto for Rock) Dark hats from offered it to me for an ok price at the same time, so after initially declining I thought I´d give it a try...
I think I tend to play all my cymbals kind of inthe same area (?) So I do it too with this one.
It´s allready stored away in one of the bags on the bottom, so I can´t tell you the weight right now.

as for your pm please read below.

Base

Reaction score
A
You make them all sound great.
The old K set was my favorite,
but I also liked the K Con Light and the Proto. Even the block stamp was very nice for an A ;-)
thanks!
me too :)
As you might remember the Light is a gift from Billy Hart and, given by the looks, he has played it quite a lot. And I bought the Proto from another well known guy (but am not allowed to say his name by him).
So they kind of should sound better than most even with me playing, given the fact that these guys get to pick their cymbals from the best ones for sure.

Base

Reaction score
Great sounds all round but I wasn't too fond of the Agop Xist. I own a set of Johan 14" hats myself and got a good kick out of seeing/hearing another pair out there. Fabulous instruments.

What weight is the K Dark medium ?
Sorry but I´ve long forgotten the weight since I bought it on cymbals only soon after they were released. But I seem to remember that I went for one of the lighter ones...

Base

Reaction score
Thanks
Vater Bebop 550s hickory

I´ve recorded the video with a gopro hero 7 and then combined withe the sound using the VSDC free video editor.
for the sound I used a pair of LEWITT LCT040 Match overheads and an AKG D112 for the bass. I recorded with reaper through my (not very good) Steinberg UR 44 audio interface and did no more sound treatment than experimenting with mic placement and getting the levels.