Comparing Cymbals...

cruzdoggie

Reaction score
I am trying to find new cymbals here and can't choose out of the brands... which ones are the best?

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
The ones that sound good to YOU! Try to spend as much as you can because generally you get what you pay for. All the big names are great when you get into their higher lines. I happen to prefer Zildjian A's.

cruzdoggie

Reaction score
yeah i guess you have a point there. i have a zildjian custom k ride that sounds amazing but my crashes aren't what i wanted... i want more of the crash and less hum or tone that i get out of mine...

reidjazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cruzdoggie said:
I am trying to find new cymbals here and can't choose out of the brands... which ones are the best?
I ditto the comments here...find what sounds good to you. The name on the cymbal matters little; it's the sound that you're after.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine came into a jam session that I co-host with a ride cymbal that just killed it. No logo or stamp on it. I later found out it was a Dream Bliss series ride. I now play these same cymbals because they have the sound I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I think a lot of folks won't try them because they're not a Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc. Their loss..

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
reidjazz said:
cruzdoggie said:
I ditto the comments here...find what sounds good to you. The name on the cymbal matters little; it's the sound that you're after.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine came into a jam session that I co-host with a ride cymbal that just killed it. No logo or stamp on it. I later found out it was a Dream Bliss series ride. I now play these same cymbals because they have the sound I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I think a lot of folks won't try them because they're not a Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc. Their loss..
or maybe they plain just dont like them :)

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Blindfold yourself then go into a shop's cymbal room. Lot easier choosing that way.
Regards
DonS

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
DonS said:
Blindfold yourself then go into a shop's cymbal room. Lot easier choosing that way.
Regards
DonS
If you find a cymbal you like, make sure you take the blindfold off before you get all excited and try to run out of the cymbal room---there could be consequences! :D

art

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretty much ALL the major brand cymbals are excellent.

I agree with the Dream Bliss series...i cannot keep a Dream ride or crash people come offer me A or K Zildjians for them...my Dream bliss hats (knock on wood) are NOT going anywhere. These are just sweet cymbals.

Overall i am a Zildjian man myself...A, K even some Z's like the hats with K top a Z Dyno beat heavy bottom. I love em all but usually wind up with A's and K's on the Drum stage.

Check out pawnshops...the other day i found 5 cymbals in one 3 were A. Zildjians bought all 5 for $120 sold one Z for $110 to the person who told me they were in the shop...he made payments on them...

Used cymbals to me at least ARE the way to go...usually are cheaper and you get a cymbal that hopefully won't change on You very much.

Good luck... just shopping for cymbals is FUN... i go to Austin periodically when i have $$$ and check their pawnshops...getting harder to find great deals but they are out there.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
art said:
Pretty much ALL the major brand cymbals are excellent.
Hmm, I think it would be more accurate to say all the major brands have both good cymbals and also absolute sh!t cymbals. Which is which is subjective.