Comparison of Maple Kits Under 1,500

Stoked2

Reaction score
I know ultimately it will come down to what kit I choose . Just looking to hear from you folks as to what you think of the following kits and what you prefer and why? I am looking at Pdp Concept Maple, Gretsch Catalina Maple, Sonor Aq2 Stage. Thoughts?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have spoken here on the PDP Concept Maple CLASSIC ... short answer - it is a phenomenal kit.
The others I cannot speak to.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own Cat Maples and there is a PdP co cept Maple at the srudio I practice at some times. The pdp concept maple and cat maples are great drums for the money. The Sonors I don't have experience with. I prefer the kick on the Cat Maple to the PDP, the toms are about on par with each other although I obviously prefer the heads on my kit (single ply coated ambassadors vs 2 ply evans somethings on the concept maple). I wish my cat maple had been available in some of the pdp sparkle fades.

That's my 2 cents hope it helps!

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I know nothing about these, buuuut...I like attempting to be helpful so, maybe consider finding yourself a set of Gretsch Renown RN 1 or RN 2 that you could try out.
The RN 2 are newer and easier to find, but I have a set of RN 1's and love em. They have great features and sound great. The hardware is sturdy, beefy, looks classy. Honestly looks more expensive than it was. I've never owned a set of USA customs, but I've been told that these RN 1's are the closest you can get without actually shelling out the big bucks. Some of the longer tenured Gretsch guys around here may disagree, but that's what I've been told.
These drums are easy to tune as well.
I played Pearl for a long time before wanting a change, but they have some great kits in this price range as well. The Session studios are a great value in my opinion! Good luck!

Rick

Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a set of Catalina Maples. They were just okay. Look for a nice used set of better quality drums......what sizes?

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As you are hearing, you can get a range of maple kits for $1500. How many drums are you looking for. What sizes? Do they have to be new or is used fine?

bjisteve

Reaction score
Add the Canopus Yaiba to your list. Really nice drums, especially at the price.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
You might look at the Ludwig Neusonics $999 and Inde (can't remember but I think you can get a kit pretty close to your budget from them)

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Sonor you listed but the Gretsch Renown RN2 will be a step up from either the Pdp Concept Maple or Gretsch Catalina Maple. And it's under $1500.

What sort of tone are you after?
Do you play with other musicians?
What kind of music will you be playing with this kit?
Are you looking to record or play live?
Do you have a preference on sizes or number of drums?
What drums have you heard that you particularly like?

This may help us steer our recommendations more accurately than us throwing out things that we like.

boomtat2.0

Reaction score
Yamaha Tour Custom 5 pc ...all maple, well built, great hdw, street price $1299. use the extra cash for a new crash/splash. you can also flip the snare if you dont need it...just sayin'.....

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I'd sell my Broadkasters (listed elsewhere here) for $1500 + shipping, and they are several leagues better than anything you're looking at. 12/16/22. https://www.drumforum.org/threads/gretsch-broadkasters-12-16-22-mint.167939/#post-1867058 or look on Reverb for it.
This. IMHO, the Broadkasters are the best Gretsch kit I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned many, Catalina’s being the only Gretsch kit I would never buy again. Do yourself a huge favor and pick up the BK kit. You will not be disappointed.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seems whenever someone asks us to compare two or three products, we all chime in with many other choices...it's annoying, but I do it too...

Two years ago I wanted to buy my "last" set... parameters were a similar price range to yours (but flexible), maple drums (but I could have strayed), lacquer wood finish (glossy, not satin) and available sizes 10, 12, 14, 18 and 6.5 x 14.
The sets on my radar were:
Inde (had the finish I wanted - black wood grain lacquer - but the up charges for glossy, 14" deep bass instead of 12" and a 6.5 snare put the price way above my budget.
Tama Superstar Classic maple - had most options I wanted, but the 6 lug floor tom bothered me too much... made it look cheap.
Yamaha Stage Custom... not maple, 6 lug basses and floor toms looked cheap to me.
Canopus Yaiba. Had the color I wanted. If I bought the bop set, I'd have a 5" snare. Could have ordered add on 10" toms and a 6.5 snare but they would have been birch. (Not a real big deal to me)
Pearl Decade maple. Didn't like the finishes...
PDP Concept Maple... satin finishes and those lugs made them a no go for me.
DW performance had everything I liked but a bop set with a 6.5 snare and a 10" tom brought the price to well over $2000...I could have lived with that.
I went with the Gretsch Renowns. They didn't have a gloss black wood grain lacquer that I wanted, but they had a dark brown (cherry burst) which was real close. All sizes and add ons were regularly available (so I could still add a bunch of toms, another snare or bass size easily), they had the maple shells, cooler rims (Gretsch 302) than the others, and they use a lot of the same hardware and have the look of more expensive Gretsches.
Now, I couldn't test drive any of the above, so I made my choice based on looks and features. Have had the set for about two years and haven't regretted it.
Before I got this set, I lucked into a Gretsch USA custom in the exact sizes I wanted for almost nothing, but they were in blue sparkle, and I was tired of looking at loud finishes (all I've ever had) and the cut back wrap was noticeable even with the heads on and that bugged me a lot. I prefer the Renowns to USA customs I had.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha Tour Custom 5 pc ...all maple, well built, great hdw, street price $1299. use the extra cash for a new crash/splash. you can also flip the snare if you dont need it...just sayin'.....
Tour Custom doesn't come with a snare for $1299.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never owned a set of USA customs, but I've been told that these RN 1's are the closest you can get without actually shelling out the big bucks. Some of the longer tenured Gretsch guys around here may disagree, but that's what I've been told.
It's true.

Latest posts