Competition in Music ?

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Why is music a competition ? One band/musician against another like it's a sport. Went to this show and so and so blew away so and so, this guy is better than that guy, etc, etc.

See a lot of discussion where it seems some have a chip on their shoulder and feel they constantly have to prove something about their favorite player and then others that always have to chime in and knock them down. And those stupid lists, worrying about where their hero is placed in a top 100 list. Does it really matter who's "the best" or is the music composition as a whole that's more important ?

Just thinking.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve found it to be primarily a “machismo” thing. Also, I’ve found that attitude to reside HEAVILY in the Metal and hard rock space moreso than other genres. Prog rockers can tend to be uppity a bit as well. At least from what I have experienced.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
I see it differently, to me it seems the less is more crowd feel the need to prove something. But this is only my opinion from what I've seen.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
World is based on competition. The old saying in youth sports- “ if it does not matter who wins then why do you keep score” ?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Why is music a competition ? One band/musician against another like it's a sport. Went to this show and so and so blew away so and so, this guy is better than that guy, etc, etc.

See a lot of discussion where it seems some have a chip on their shoulder and feel they constantly have to prove something about their favorite player and then others that always have to chime in and knock them down. And those stupid lists, worrying about where their hero is placed in a top 100 list. Does it really matter who's "the best" or is the music composition as a whole that's more important ?

Just thinking.
Yeah, it matters who’s the best.

Of course , those “stupid lists”
exist to keep score.

Yeah, it’s hilarious when someone gets all chapped and complains about music being measured just like every other thing in life — from cars to restaurants to supermodels, movies,
books, beverages and drums.

Yeah, it’s almost completely subjective, but all of us make judgements about our fellow humans’ beauty, passion, niceness and other qualities every minute of every day.

The Oscars, The Grammies, the awards handed out at your work conference, Olympic events like ice skating. It’s all complete BS, but each of us is driven by an unquenchable need to measure the immeasurable.

We might as well get mad at rain for being wet or Fire for causing destruction.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Do we keep score in music ? I guess that's what the top whatever lists are for ?

Off the top of my head, I think the recent Motley Crue thread had some knocking Tommys playing. Can someone show me an example of him actually playing bad ?

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Those awards seem to really pi$$ people off and the performances made while they are distributed judged like final exams.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Why is music a competition ? One band/musician against another like it's a sport.
I agree. As a drummer, I watch other drummers very carefully, and I pick up things; licks, moves or some technique. This is often from drummers that have less experience and training. I read once that Joe Morello used to do this, and would literally walk all around the drummer to watch his moves and technique. You liken it to sports. Being in IT, I liken it to computers. I am 59 years old, and I've met 15 year old kids that showed me stuff I didn't know.

Now for the flip side, and this is the only place I can think the sports analogy comes into play. In high school we were doing at least six jazz festivals a year, sometimes more. It was just about that time they (the schools) decided there should be no winners or losers. They did away with 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place trophies. I am telling you, all of the kids hated it. Every kid from every school hated it. We went there to win. Of course, at the time it was a contest. I think it took some of the wind out of the sails. I think the kids didn't play as well as they could have. I don't know if anyone even has competitive music festivals like that anymore.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Tommy Lee manages to keep a steady beat, but he’s sitting behind a band so dumbed down for its intended audience of 13-year-old glue sniffers that it makes it impossible to tell if he’s really good or not.

Last edited:

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Exactly, I was taught with competition in mind into concert/marching band, stage band, drum line etc. Seems it carries on into all aspects of a life in music, human nature to be the best. I guess you have this in any career to a point that some find it a need to find fault in their peers instead of appreciating what they see/hear or fear.

Some glue sniffing remarks I'll choose to ignore.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It has probably been competitive since ancient times. There was Goodman vs Webb at the Savoy in the 30s. There are competitions in high school jazz, marching and concert bands as well as Drum Corps DCI. I think it's a good thing for kids who are not jocks on a sports team or who might not join the military to be a part of an organized competition. I remember joining school band in my freshman year after marching season was over. Watching the drummers on the snare line I realized I had a ways to go and I worked hard to become section leader in my junior year with another guy breathing down my neck for the spot.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
It has probably been competitive since ancient times. There was Goodman vs Webb at the Savoy in the 30s. There are competitions in high school jazz, marching and concert bands as well as Drum Corps DCI.
Indeed, from Rich vs Roach & Battle of the Bands during the 50s 60s 70s and onward to talent competition shows like Star Search & American Idol, music competition events have been around forever because the general public likes and supports them. It a money making gimmick that'll probably never cease in one form or another. It's simply human nature regardless if one likes it or not.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kinda like a sculpt-off ...

“Allllll-RIGHT! Artists to your stations!
Hammers in hand.
Chisels at the ready.
The first to complete the Angry Squirrel piece ...
will be crowned SCULPTYSPEEDER!!!
Get set!
AND HAMMERS AWAY!!!”

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If a venue is labeled as a competition their is nothing wrong with that and the contestants know what they are getting in to. We had "Battle of the bands" in high school and it was great. Some events are competition and some are not.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve found it to be primarily a “machismo” thing. Also, I’ve found that attitude to reside HEAVILY in the Metal and hard rock space moreso than other genres. Prog rockers can tend to be uppity a bit as well. At least from what I have experienced.

The competitive nature of hard rock bands isn't by chance. Read Van Halen Rising. They weren't gift wrapped record deals and had to run the gauntlet of backyard parties, battle of the bands in their respective towns before moving on to dive bars and finally showcasing original material. It was at the battle of the bands level that individual musicians set themselves apart and joined forces to move up to the next level. As heavy metal split off to various sub genres, there was competition to see who was the fastest, heaviest, loudest or who had the sleaziest, raunchiest image.

TomR

Reaction score
I think it's human nature to compare and contrast, but often it can be handled an immature way. For example, those who build themselves up by ripping into others. The way I look at it is simple: music is an art and we are all at different levels in our journey. I always look to learn something from others, regardless of their proficiency level, and encourage them to excel in their craft.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Kinda like a sculpt-off ...

“Allllll-RIGHT! Artists to your stations!
Hammers in hand.
Chisels at the ready.
The first to complete the Angry Squirrel piece ...
will be crowned SCULPTYSPEEDER!!!
Get set!
AND HAMMERS AWAY!!!”
I take it for granite that you must be stoned to post this schist.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I think it's human nature to compare and contrast, but often it can be handled an immature way.
"Diss Rap"
(mocking/ridiculing/threatening, and even shooting other rappers)
It's a thing now, a big thing, and it's been happening since the days of Kool Moe Dee, Mc Hammer & Grandmaster Flash and "Rap Battles"

Seems like every week I see the headline "Rapper shot dead by rival Rapper's posse"
It's become a turf war of words and it's absolute insanity.

:eyeroll:

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
By raising the standard we're encouraged to strengthen what we already have or consider other possibilities . Celebration of mediocrity has accomplished little if anything in the field of human endeavor .

Darwin was, to a certain extent , correct . How committed we are to climb to the top of the heap is, I happen to believe, an entirely individual choice . I am free to engage in it or not , but don't try to get in anybody else's way .

Last edited:

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I actually LIKE that aspect of it and I think it's a healthy thing. I love how drumming can be part art and part sport at the same time...also think rivalry can spur continual improvement as long as you don't let it become a destructive thing. I'll gladly drum battle anyone who throws down the gauntlet and it's nothing personal, just an opportunity to test my abilities, challenge myself & give it my very best. I also love bickering with Bonzo's fanboys about how Cozy is the greatest drummer ever. Honestly I don't see the harm in any of it.

Latest posts