Competition in Music ?

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it's human nature to compare and contrast, but often it can be handled an immature way. For example, those who build themselves up by ripping into others. The way I look at it is simple: music is an art and we are all at different levels in our journey. I always look to learn something from others, regardless of their proficiency level, and encourage them to excel in their craft.
Im not competitive in life or in drumming.
If someone plays better,faster,harder,melodically or has a higher paid job or more material goods than I,so what?
Is it a matter of life and death?
No,then so be it.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I take it for granite that you must be stoned to post this schist.
I've bentonite plastered in paris totally off my alabaster all afternoon ... <kerf> <kerf>
Just didn't think you'd anneal me to the banding wheel so soon.
Next time, I'll keep my riffler and my rondel a bit closer to my shank ring.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Like I said, just thinking.

I think it's a good thing to push yourself to be your best. I was there in the middle of it myself and feel it definitely made me strive and work hard to be the one on top.

There is always those who are gifted and I have always enjoyed hearing and seeing them. Some seem to be put off by anyone that's better than they are and they beat them down at every chance. That I've never understood.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get the rankings and such because it's all subjective; Best/Worst. And I don’t think competition and being suppotive of other musicians and or bands is mutually exclusive. The scenes I've been involved with have always been very supportive. Sure, you want the best crowd reaction you can get everytime so you go out and play like it's your last time but my experience hasn't ever been that bands will undercut each other, at least not in the scenes I've been a part of. On Friday I played a show and all the bands were fun and good but in different ways. Everyone acknowledged what was great about the other acts and all the bands were hanging out during and after the show and none of us had ever met before. It was pretty cool. Now we all have new contacts to get more shows in other areas. Win/win.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the first band competitions for schools were organized by music stores.....to boost rentals and sales.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do recall the days of my youth , jazz band /dance band/ Orchestral band/ Vocal chorus...... the pecking order of the was typically the best players sat in the First chair / solists ect ect and so on and so forth (if you sucked you didn't play)
I look at competition with peers as a positive , a vehicle to drive and motivate one to excel and achieve personal goals.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Competition in any field, even with one's self, produces exellence.

Popularity contests on the other hand....

It is up to you to know and to celebrate the difference.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
While it's fine to be aware of what else is out there in the sense that it can give one a better idea of what is expected commercially, it has nothing to do with being the best you can be. That is a function of a desire to play what you hear and working diligently and consistently to be able to do so.

All the folks I respect are human beings who have done the very best they can with what they were given. We can all do that, if we chose to - but it takes work and time.

No one else has lived your life and perceives things as you do. Consequently no one else will respond to the questions the music asks just as you would - assuming you're not just trying to play a cover verbatim. Even then, we all have different instruments, ways of playing the instrument, and consequently, generate different sounds.

gbow

Reaction score
What's great about music is you can treat it as a competition if you so choose. But you can also treat it other ways. I just play, enjoy playing, enjoy trying to get better and working on my craft. I enjoy other people's playing and watch and try to learn from them too.

But for me it's just what I do. I'm comfortable in my own skin and that's enough. I know I'll never be "Buddy Rich" and I also know that I can do the things I need to do for the music I enjoy. I also really enjoy watching other drummers, most drummers that play regularly are good enough to NOT be considered "bad" by my standards. Just different.

gabo

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I wish it were more like an 80's break dancing battle. You'd better not show up Saturday night with sloppy flamadiddles, lest ye be shown up by the rival's secret weapon.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
My most quantum-leap as a player came from being the weakest member of a really good band.
I sweated bullitts but improved, gaining confidence and authority. I was not in competition with the others in the band, but sorta with myself to be as good as them.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My most quantum-leap as a player came from being the weakest member of a really good band.
I sweated bullitts but improved, gaining confidence and authority. I was not in competition with the others in the band, but sorta with myself to be as good as them.
Outstanding!
It’s art.
Like a great actor on the set can raise the level of the performances of the others, so too does a great musician raise the bar.
It’s that reach we do to better our own voice behind the instrument.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Outstanding!
It’s art.
Like a great actor on the set can raise the level of the performances of the others, so too does a great musician raise the bar.
It’s that reach we do to better our own voice behind the instrument.
I was told when I was young, "Play with the best players you can". To gig, to just get to play drums on a stage, I have not always taken that advice. But, yeah, when you play with good players, the enable you, lift you.