Competition in my neighborhood!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next door neighbor has just got a kit! He's good too, learned properly in school and everything. First time I heard him he had got the kit for only a couple of days and was jamming Steely Dan songs with the fills!

I'm not giving up though, just keeping me humble (like I needed him for that lol)

There's a r&b band over on the block East, bluegrass pickers around the corner to the North and a church band with sound system somewhere near too

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey that's a good thing! When I started playing I had a drummer move into my neighborhood in the Bronx that was 7 years older than me. He turned me on to every jazz drummer in the world. The very first albums I owned were Buddy Rich, Tony Williams, Gene Krupa and Max Roach. I had their stuff before I ever got into the far more popular albums of the day back in 1972. As Roch said, "Go and cop some of his chops".

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is very cool, and never a bad thing.

About seven years ago my wife and I were walking around the block with a dog that we had recently rescued. A young woman who had just moved in came out to the sidewalk to meet our pooch. After introductions, she noticed I was wearing a Zildjian shirt. "You're are a drummer?! My husband plays!"

The four of us became very good friends. Mark is a jazz cat, plays a jazz sized set of Gretsch Renown drums. We have been jamming together since we met. And yes, we steal chops from each other whenever we can. :D

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I absolutely love hearing someone practicing their instrument (especially drums) in the neighborhood. (Even if it is bagpipes!) Just knowing that there are other musicians nearby is a nice, familiar feeling to me.

I also love hearing garage bands rehearsing, but that's fast becoming rare these days as teens and young adults are making music alone in their bedrooms via computers. (And I'm sure COVID has kept garage bands from forming.)

And bless their parents for supporting the racket!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love hearing someone practicing their instrument (especially drums) in the neighborhood. (Even if it is bagpipes!) Just knowing that there are other musicians nearby is a nice, familiar feeling to me.

I also love hearing garage bands rehearsing, but that's fast becoming rare these days as teens and young adults are making music alone in their bedrooms via computers. (And I'm sure COVID has kept garage bands from forming.)

And bless their parents for supporting the racket!
I think noise intolerant neighborhoods are what prevents garage bands from forming. Seems like everything is just quieter now than when I was growing up.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Keltner, Jimmy Karstein , Dave Teegarden, Jamie Oldaker , Rock Salad ... whew !! lotsa great okie drummers . Must be something in the water .

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine is bringing his 4th grader over to see my drums today. The kid has an electronic kit but said there's nowhere to plug it in. There would be more that story and I'd think his parents would know, but it's not my deal. The kid has been wanting to come over for awhile now and since I'm all vaccinated, today it'll happen. He's all amped up! haha

Another neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road plays drums about every other day and he sounds good. We were all planning to meet up and jam awhile ago. I think it'll happen soon.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Keltner, Jimmy Karstein , Dave Teegarden, Jamie Oldaker , Rock Salad ... whew !! lotsa great okie drummers . Must be something in the water .
I keep trying to get David Teegarden's son Matt to come over again and coach me again. He came over one time and it helped a lot! Yes there are good players here for not really having much of a music "industry". I think it is the weather more than the water, it's pretty miserable outside most of the time here, except right now this week is lovely

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep trying to get David Teegarden's son Matt to come over again and coach me again. He came over one time and it helped a lot! Yes there are good players here for not really having much of a music "industry". I think it is the weather more than the water, it's pretty miserable outside most of the time here, except right now this week is lovely
The wind gets old .......