Complete my Paiste setup with a Ride

Moonman

Reaction score
I'm putting together a set of mixed Paistes and have a hole in the ride position.

Here's what will fill the rest of the puzzle...

15 DE hats
18 Full crash
20 Twenty Light ride (as crash)
20 Trad Med Light Swish

A good point @shiek_yerbouti made was to be cognizant of the relationship b/w the ride choice and DE hats.
I have a couple models in mind but would love to hear any opinions before sharing what I've been looking at.

I appreciate the input in advance. Thanks!

Moonman

Reaction score
You might prefer something heavier. I have a 22 ME and I don’t think it would work in your set up. Nor a 602.

Probably a DE Mark 2
Out of curiosity, is it the hats or the 20" Twenty Light ride (crash) that's eliminating so many of the ride choices? I.e. if the 20" ride wasn't in the setup, would that allow the ME or 602 to work? Thanks!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is it the hats or the 20" Twenty Light ride (crash) that's eliminating so many of the ride choices? I.e. if the 20" ride wasn't in the setup, would that allow the ME or 602 to work? Thanks!
Yes... the size and sonic width/weight of that as a crash says you need a heavier and more pronounced ride, at least to me and probably others here. Get the same size ( 20") crash ( Masers Dark/602/Big Beat/ thats thinner or washier and you can go with a thinner 22 ..

Moonman

Reaction score
I think a masters deep ride would honestly be perfect in this mix.
I've wondered about this one, too. Seems to be a logical fit -- do you have experience playing it? I've been lingering around the Paiste Soundroom and have the 24 Deep, 24 GB, 22 DE MKII, 22/24 Big Beat, 22 Dark Crisp, and 22 ME + Classic. They all sound pretty good with the DE hats and 18 Full Crash. Everything sounds great -- I'm temporarily obsessing about this - thanks again for any and all input!

Moonman

Reaction score
Yes... the size and sonic width/weight of that as a crash says you need a heavier and more pronounced ride, at least to me and probably others here. Get the same size ( 20") crash ( Masers Dark/602/Big Beat/ thats thinner or washier and you can go with a thinner 22 ..
Perfect. Thank you. The Twenty Light has simply been the choice as I got a great deal on it years ago and is currently in my bag. This good advice.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you. The Twenty Light has simply been the choice as I got a great deal on it years ago and is currently in my bag. This good advice.
A 24 ride could work too. It’s not something I would choose but a lot of folks like them. Also, if you’re in a serious guitar driven rock situation you can go with 2002’s. Classic sound , can’t go wrong there. But bright for sure

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree on 2002 Ride. The DE hats have a pretty bright attack. I never got to try mine with the 22" 2002 Ride that I had, but I believe that combo would work well.

skelt101

Reaction score
Moonman,
IMHO, your biggest challenge here is trying to make a cohesive unit using two very different "crashes". The 18" Signature Full Crash is bright and crisp with that Paiste "shimmer", whereas the 20" Twenty Light Ride is dark and trashy. The line that best marries these qualities is probably the Dark Energy. But, how do you use your ride? Are crash accents important to you? Do you play the bell much? Are you looking for a wall of sound, or something with more precision?

Moonman

Reaction score
Moonman,
IMHO, your biggest challenge here is trying to make a cohesive unit using two very different "crashes". The 18" Signature Full Crash is bright and crisp with that Paiste "shimmer", whereas the 20" Twenty Light Ride is dark and trashy. The line that best marries these qualities is probably the Dark Energy. But, how do you use your ride? Are crash accents important to you? Do you play the bell much? Are you looking for a wall of sound, or something with more precision?
These are great questions you bring up @skelt101. I could tell something was off (hoped it was the 20 crash, but was worried it could be the hats) based on the feedback I've received, but this is super clear and is helpful. The Twenty Light Ride (crash) has really been by convenience and I should probably sell it or set it aside for this. I'm going to ponder your questions and report back after i've answered them. I appreciate all the input guidance everyone has contributed.

Moonman

Reaction score
Did you look at the Blue Bell Ride?
I haven't b/c I thought it only came in a 20" model. I did, however, decide to purchase a 22" 602 Classic Medium and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I absolutely love the 18" Full Crash I just received and would like to seek a nice compliment to it and take the Twenty Light Ride out of this setup; unless I'm not able to sell off enough gear to fund the transition. Always appreciate input and feedback. Thanks for sharing.

sillypilot

Reaction score
Actually it only comes in a 22” model. Anyway, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the 602.. keep drumming

Moonman

Reaction score
When you said Blue Bell, I thought you meant "Bluebird." My bad -- I'll look into it b/c I haven't heard of that one. Thanks.