Complete my Paiste setup with a Ride

Moonman

Reaction score
Actually it only comes in a 22” model. Anyway, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the 602.. keep drumming
I see where I made the mistake. Didn't realize it's the formal name of the Stewart Copeland model. Long day... Ha.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
He ships internationally

Canadian $$ makes this sweeter

I think this one is generic enough to stay out of the way, but maintain its own voice .

Last edited:

Black Label

Reaction score
I'm putting together a set of mixed Paistes and have a hole in the ride position.

Here's what will fill the rest of the puzzle...

15 DE hats
18 Full crash
20 Twenty Light ride (as crash)
20 Trad Med Light Swish

A good point @shiek_yerbouti made was to be cognizant of the relationship b/w the ride choice and DE hats.
I have a couple models in mind but would love to hear any opinions before sharing what I've been looking at.

I appreciate the input in advance. Thanks!
That is a seriously nice set up that you have there! I would also not overlook the 22" DE Mk1 ride. I have one which I use with 14" DE hats and 18" twenty crash and 20" twenty custom full crash and it works really well - even for rock and blues. It is crashable and it wash-rides beautifully if you are into that kind of thing. It is certainly not a one trick pony and is way more versatile than what it is given credit for. And under lights it looks really cool too :cool:

Moonman

Reaction score
Update:
I have the hats, full crash, and 602 Classic ride in possession. I have a 20" Giant Beat thin and 16" full crash w/ rivets on the way. Guilty pleasure is a 16 on the left of my hats.
I'm digging everything so far and can't wait for the Giant Beat to show up. I think this will end up being a nice flight for me to sample, modify and adjust. For now, the jury's still out and I can't wait to really play them.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Enjoyng watching your journey Moonman.

Interested in hearing your take on that 602 Classic ride.

I have been listening to Paiste sound samples and I keep coming back to that one and the 2002 rides.

They have that Paiste "ping" that seems to be missing in a lot of the other Paistes to me.

Moonman

Reaction score
Enjoyng watching your journey Moonman.

Interested in hearing your take on that 602 Classic ride.

I have been listening to Paiste sound samples and I keep coming back to that one and the 2002 rides.

They have that Paiste "ping" that seems to be missing in a lot of the other Paistes to me.
Mongrel, Thanks for asking. I LOVE the 602 and you're right, it does have the ping you're talking about - just enough and not too much. It's so responsive - all of the Paistes I've gotten have that quality. I'm super happy with it right now. Very clean, classy sound with a beautiful resonance to my ears. Honestly, it sounds even better than I'd hoped or expected; "just like a great cymbal should," if that makes sense.

Moonman

Reaction score
Mongrel, Stopped by a local shop and tapped on a 22 2002 "Ride". It's WAY more 'pingy' than the 602 by comparison. Based on just a few light touches, I'd say the 602 ping factor is much more controllable depending on how you play it. The 2002 ping sounded immediately brighter and louder whereas the 602 had it, but just more subtle. My opinion is the 602 will take on the character of the player more than the 2002. Don't know what you're looking for but behind the kit the 602 is for me. With that being said, I did hear a rockabilly band and loved the way the guy's ride sounded in the audience. It wasn't harsh or clangy and sounded great. I was really surprised when I got a closer look and saw it was a 2002.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, Moonman-THANKS for your detailed analysis....much appreciated.

Looking for the best way to scratch my "Paiste" itch without buying a bunch of cymbals only to find out they aren't what I was looking for after all. Too many of those sitting around here already. Have a nice set of K dark thins...a complete set of "new" As, one or two oddballs like my Sabian HH rbdr and an Istanbul Mehmet 50s "Nostalgia" ride that play well with either. Scored a UFiP 22" Vibra ride on an Amazon impulse buy...not quite sure about that one yet. Definitely not blown away by it.

Listened to every Paiste ride sound sample on their website, and pretty much keep coming back to the 602 Classics and the 2002s. Reminds me of the A\K relationship. Similar but different. Bright\Dark I think would describe it. Ultimately, having a set of both would be nice, but that ain't happening this year....lol.

Leaning more toward the 602 classics based on your description above. Controlled "ping", slightly darker, and overall lower volume. Sounds like a great way to get the Paiste shimmer without blowing out an ear drum lol. I play a lot with acoustic guitars and smaller, mellower, gigs, but I'm itching to move away from "dark and clangy" and the 602 Classics sound like a great fit for that. Of course the lower price of the 2002s are a constant temptation-especially since like 5 of them just popped up on the for sale board here...*sigh*!

Then I saw a Bonzoleum video where he was comparing a Zildjian "S" Family cymbal to the 2002s....I'll tell you what-that S series sounds closest to Paiste I have ever heard Zildjian get. And the rides are like $180! And there are all those claims that the PST7s are "90%" 2002 for half the price...

My head is spinning.

Dear Santa, A nice set of 602s-22, 20, 18, with 15" hats...would be awesome....

Thanks again, Moonman, great thread.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Imo, you can't go wrong with Paiste pro lines.
Depending on the sound you're going for, 14 Heavy Sigs, 14 Heavy 2002's can cover just about everything, and fit any mix. 15 SE 2002 hi hats are amazing hats!! The only thing with em, is your (not meaning you personally), is you have to be on your game. The chic from just time keeping can, and has been so outstanding, it threw me off when I first started using em.
8 inch Sig splash (best splash period!)
24 2002, or GB's, depending on how large ya want your wall of awesomeness.
Vintage 18 inch (1600 gramish) 602's.
20 inch Giant beats, 18 2002's, and if ya like a decent amount of cymbals,
18 Sig Full, and 16 2002.
Oh, can't forget 18 inch 2002 china.
I'll mix em up, and ya can't go wrong.
My thoughts anyway

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As an owner of almost every line, I suggest the Dark Energy MKII 22" as well as many others here have.
It must be me and my unsophisticated ears....maybe the tinnitus?

But doesn't that MkII Dark Energy sound closer to a Turkish cymbal than a Paiste? Don't get me wrong it is a great sounding cymbal.

That is what I found with many of their ride cymbals as I went up the Paiste line listening to sound files. They started to lose that 2002 "sparkle" and that certain high pitched ring that I was hearing. I hear it in the 602 Classic, but not really in the 602 MEs (which sound closer to A Customs to me lol), etc.

The higher up the Paiste line I went...the less "Paiste" they sounded to me.

But to me "Paiste sound" was always the GB/2002/602 lines so that is the perspective I am coming from.

GREAT sounding cymbals no matter what though.

skelt101

Reaction score
To my ear, the Dark Energy line is the perfect medium! It combines the Paiste shimmer (though not as pronounced as 2002, 602 and Giant Beats) with some Turkish trashiness from the Traditionals and Masters! Perhaps not for everyone, but works for me! :thumbleft:

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To my ear, the Dark Energy line is the perfect medium! It combines the Paiste shimmer (though not as pronounced as 2002, 602 and GB) with some Turkish trashiness from the Traditionals and Masters! Perhaps not for everyone, but works for me! :thumbleft:
I noted an increased "shimmer" in the redesigned Zildjian As, and an Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia 50s ride. I remember thinking "Paiste" when I first heard them. So there is a bit of cross breeding going on.

dale w miller

Reaction score
It must be me and my unsophisticated ears....maybe the tinnitus?

But doesn't that MkII Dark Energy sound closer to a Turkish cymbal than a Paiste? Don't get me wrong it is a great sounding cymbal.

That is what I found with many of their ride cymbals as I went up the Paiste line listening to sound files. They started to lose that 2002 "sparkle" and that certain high pitched ring that I was hearing. I hear it in the 602 Classic, but not really in the 602 MEs (which sound closer to A Customs to me lol), etc.

The higher up the Paiste line I went...the less "Paiste" they sounded to me.

But to me "Paiste sound" was always the GB/2002/602 lines so that is the perspective I am coming from.

GREAT sounding cymbals no matter what though.
The Dark Energy and Signature Series sound as Paiste as you can get in my opinion. The only one that borders is a B20 cymbal itself, the Twenty Series.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Sound *closer* to....not "like".

It's just an opinion man, with a playful shot at Vinnie for an attempt at some humor....I didn't run over your puppy...

Lol
I suppose you’re right in a way, an A Custom with an older Sound Creation.

That’s ok, he just peed everywhere :)