Complete Newb question

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a Focusrite 18i20.
It comes with a bundle of free DAW, and plug ins.
Can i record a drum kit with Pro Tools first?
Could anyone suggest a free DAW that will, if Pro Tools first doesn't. User friendly is a huge plus.
I use PC.
Thanks

electrodrummer

Reaction score
I've been using Cakewalk for aeons. It's now free. So that's an option.

But, yes, you can use Pro Tools.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll try Cakewalk, as the title makes it seem easy. Before i go drop some $, i do want to try Pro tools, to see if i like it.
Do you know of any video editing software with the same criteria?

gbow

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll try Cakewalk, as the title makes it seem easy. Before i go drop some $, i do want to try Pro tools, to see if i like it.
Do you know of any video editing software with the same criteria?
Protools is quite possibly the least user friendly DAW you'll find. Cakewalk is a good option, as is Reaper and Studio One Pro. Cakewalk is free, Reaper is $60, and Studio One Pro is a bit higher.

As for video editing, take a look at Powerdirector, it's about the most full featured at a reasonable price point.

gabo

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I actually have been looking at Studio One Pro.
It seems like the best bang for the buck. It's on sale for $270. That's a whole lot cheaper than Pro Tools.
I'm just wondering about the plug ins, and updates.
I can't wait for my kits to sound like my kits.
I'd like to be able to run 3 cameras for my video editing.

gbow

Reaction score
Thanks!
I actually have been looking at Studio One Pro.
It seems like the best bang for the buck. It's on sale for $270. That's a whole lot cheaper than Pro Tools.
I'm just wondering about the plug ins, and updates.
I can't wait for my kits to sound like my kits.
I'd like to be able to run 3 cameras for my video editing.
I've used Studio One for 4-5 years now after being a cakewalk user for about 20 years. I really like Studio One. It comes with a robust set of plugins as a part of S1, actually enough to do full production. I also use Izotope's plugins, Ozone, Nectar, and Neutron, but really you could do everything with just the included tools. I also own Reaper and have used it some, but it requires more external plugins.

I also use Addictive Drums 2 for layering drum sounds.

As for video, with powerdirector you can sync as many cameras as you like. But they do have a tool that will "auto sync" up to 4 cameras by looking at the audio and aligning them. But of course you can always manually align cameras by looking at the audio and lining them up. It's just not as quick and user friendly as using the tool. Go check out instructional videos on youtube, there are a ton for powerdirector.

Here's a youtube playlist from a charity event we did. All the video was done in powerdirector, cameras were gopro's, and the audio was done in Studio One Pro.

gabo

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gbow!
It looks like Studio one it is!
Are there any drivers that have to be installed, or anything that may bog me down?

gbow

Reaction score
Thanks Gbow!
It looks like Studio one it is!
Are there any drivers that have to be installed, or anything that may bog me down?
Just ASIO drivers for your sound card.

I would also highly recommend heading over to the Presonus forums. They have a good community over there. All of these DAW programs take a bit of patients and learning to get your head around. They are all very involved to say the least.

The forum over there you want to post in is the "Studio One Forum Community Support" forum.

gabo

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I would also highly recommend heading over to the Presonus forums. They have a good community over there. All of these DAW programs take a bit of patients and learning to get your head around. They are all very involved to say the least.

The forum over there you want to post in is the "Studio One Forum Community Support" forum.

gabo
Thanks again, I'll check them out.
When i got the new Focusrite, all the drivers automatically were installed, when the Focusrite software was uploaded. Hopefully the new new Studio One 4 will have something similar.
Yeah, i tried navigating through Abelton, and there's a lot to learn...to say the least

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

gabo
It looks like with Studio one pro 4, and because i will be using a lap top with Asio, all I'll have to do is follow the installation instructions., and I'll be set.
I did find out Pro Tools First will allow me to record drum tracks (up to 18 *more than I'll need)
So, I'll see if i could get my minimal pc skills to record, and edit a track. If i can, or can't, I'll still be purchasing Studio One Pro.
I'm psyched!
The EAD10 is great for not capturing the sounds of my drums. It's great if you want a wavering click track 90% of the time, and great for getting frustrated as hell

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a giant Reaper fan. Been using it for years. But whatever DAW you use, eventually you'll realize whatever edrum modudle you have, you'll start to dislike the sounds and want to use VST's like EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, etc instead. So at somepoint learn to record the MIDI data too and not just audio. (I always record both so I have a choice).

Have fun!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a giant Reaper fan. Been using it for years. But whatever DAW you use, eventually you'll realize whatever edrum modudle you have, you'll start to dislike the sounds and want to use VST's like EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, etc instead. So at somepoint learn to record the MIDI data too and not just audio. (I always record both so I have a choice).

Have fun!
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for sure.
I do have an edrum kit, but this will be for accustic kits.
The ead10 is a stereo mic mounted on a bass drum.
I dog'd it, but it did get me to start recording, and it's been my best PT since back surgery.
If i had to do it all again from square 1, I'd start with the that EAD again. To get a decent recording, ya really can't make any mistakes, as ya can't post edit.
That should be a huge benefit once i begin recording, with the ability to edit.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for sure.
I do have an edrum kit, but this will be for accustic kits.
The ead10 is a stereo mic mounted on a bass drum.
I dog'd it, but it did get me to start recording, and it's been my best PT since back surgery.
If i had to do it all again from square 1, I'd start with the that EAD again. To get a decent recording, ya really can't make any mistakes, as ya can't post edit.
That should be a huge benefit once i begin recording, with the ability to edit.
Since you brought up Reaper.
What is it about it you like? Is it only for ekits?

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
The EAD10 is great for not capturing the sounds of my drums. It's great if you want a wavering click track 90% of the time, and great for getting frustrated as hell
With all due respect, if the EAD10 is giving you that much trouble, you're going to have a lot more issues trying to learn how to use a DAW. The EAD10 is basically plug and play compared to setting up your own mics and recording anything usable in a DAW.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, if the EAD10 is giving you that much trouble, you're going to have a lot more issues trying to learn how to use a DAW. The EAD10 is basically plug and play compared to setting up your own mics and recording anything usable in a DAW.
I see where you're coming from. The EAD isn't giving me technical problems, it's just way too basic. It has poor audio, and video quality, and the Rec n Share has far too many glitches. It doesn't capture the sound of my kit (s)
I've had no trouble operating the thing.
It has it's places, but I'm moving on.
I'm glad i got the ead, and started with it. It's led me to bigger, and better

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. The EAD isn't giving me technical problems, it's just way too basic. It has poor audio, and video quality, and the Rec n Share has far too many glitches. It doesn't capture the sound of my kit (s)
I've had no trouble operating the thing.
It has it's places, but I'm moving on.
I'm glad i got the ead, and started with it. It's led me to bigger, and better
I'm sorry, but again, that's just not true -- the audio quality on the EAD10 is very good. And the video quality will be governed by the camera on your phone, not the EAD10.

How do you have the EAD10 set up? What are you running it into? Are you using triggers, or just the mics? Are you using USB audio or the analog outs? If analog, how are you connecting to your computer?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't postvedit on the ead, the audio can be good, but it depends on the configuration, and tom size, as well as other variables. For video, i can only use 1 camera.
If i want to make a video, the new firmware allows me to speak, but the quality is awful.
The metranome on my ipad works 10% of the time, unless it's recorded quantized..
I've had no problems operating the ead. However if using the single stereo mic, the floor tom can be blocked out.
Here, I'll give an example of it working well, and than when it wasn't picking up the floor tom.
The trigger didn't pock up the FT well here.
In this situation it worked well, but if i had made major mistakes, there's no way to post edit in detail

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To make the FT audible, i was smashing the crap out of it, and i can't get the true sound of the kit.
The click didn't work on either of those tracks.
Also the I'll sometimes put up a china behind the ft.
It won't be heard, and if it is, hardly.
I'm just ready to move on.
I'm selling it. It has 1.5 years of extended warranty left, plus an extra snare trigger

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I've just been lucky :) Good luck with your journey!
You can post edit? If you use large toms, or 2 FTs, you can hear the 2nd just as well as the 1st?
What if you want to split screen? Or talk?
I've heard several, and only 4 piece kits have sounded good.
Could you post a vid?
But it still never sounds like a real kit.

Latest posts