Completely lost Newbie

Ems

Reaction score
Hi!

New to the forum, no knowledge about drums and English it not my language... So I'm really sorry if this is going to be confusing.

So, I like to play the drums. Just for fun and I have never had a lesson. I play my husband's yamaha live customs and they sound great.

The problem (besides sucking at playing drums) is that I have no clue. Neither does my husband

The drums sound great. They are tuned and the sound of the toms and cymbals fit the kind of music he plays (jazz mostly). I play Pennywise, Risa against and Sum41 and I feel that the toms are tuned too high?

At first I thought the toms were too small but after doing research I think they just need to be tuned lower? How the hell does a newbie do that (or is it possible)? The skins are the ones that came with the set (the set is bought 2 years ago and was brand new) )

Problem two is the sound of the crashes (and maybe the ride too). I find that the sound keeps going round and round the more I hit the crash and it just does not sound great after a while. So you think I need thinner/lighter crashes? The sizes are the same as the ones of my favorite drummers' but the sound is not nearly as light and nice.

I understand its almost impossible helping me since I have no specs of anything since I don't know. But generally, do I need to tune or do I need to replace the skins of the toms? And the cymbals, buy smaller crashes or some splashes or just thinner (china?) ones?

I can upload som pics if needed.

And thank you for reading this wall of text.

Ems

Reaction score
Find a teacher -in person- local to you- too many difficult variables- to type- Some things must be seen--how they're done -- ideally -- in person
Yeah I think you are right. But I really, really hate playing in front of people so I just like trying to figure stuff out like this as much as possible...

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two people sharing one drum set, with two different tuning/cymbal preferences...difficult. Your options include:

- Leave it as is, and live with it.
- Get your own cymbals, put on your cymbals when you play, and tune the toms down, to your taste. Husband will have to re-tune, and put his cymbals back on, each time...doable, but kind of a pain.
- Get your own set, have it exactly like you want.
- Get a electronic drum set. They have many drum kit settings, for different sounds. Much easier to click a few buttons then option#2.

Good luck.

Ems

Reaction score
Two people sharing one drum set, with two different tuning/cymbal preferences...difficult. Your options include:

- Leave it as is, and live with it.
- Get your own cymbals, put on your cymbals when you play, and tune the toms down, to your taste. Husband will have to re-tune, and put his cymbals back on, each time...doable, but kind of a pain.
- Get your own set, have it exactly like you want.
- Get a electronic drum set. They have many drum kit settings, for different sounds. Much easier to click a few buttons then option#2.

Good luck.
He is fine with tuning down and getting new cymbals. He's not that picky

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Start off here with these 3 tuning videos. They show an easy way to do it for a beginner. You might want to watch his other videos as well. He's very good!
I'd try tuning your current heads first and see how they sound. If they don't sound to your liking, then you can possibly buy better heads. After you have that resolved, then you can focus on the cymbal issue:

• Love
Reactions: Ems

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Comparing crash cymbals to recordings is tricky. The louder you play, the splashier and thinner they sound. If you play softly, the cymbal sustains longer and sounds darker.
Try to find some video of your favorite players and see how much enegry they put into playing. If you want to play lighter, you might need thinner crashes (not chinas, these have a different character). If you can imagine playing louder, get some earplugs (seriously) and just do it; listen to how your cymbals sound now.

Reactions: Ems

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I play my husband's yamaha live customs and they sound great.

The problem (besides sucking at playing drums) is that I have no clue. Neither does my husband
Little confused Does your husband play drums or just has them. Are drums his main instrument?

Little confused why he can't answer any question

Last edited:

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO! Not everyone here will agree with me (most will probably not) but I think that you need a 17" Zildjian A Medium Thin (or A Custom) Crash, a 20" Zildjian Medium Thin Crash Ride, and a set of Zildjian 14" A Custom Hi Hats. Those cymbals will give you what you're looking for, I do believe.

Also re-head your set with something like Remo Ambassador Coated batter heads (or something similar) along with an Evans Emad (single ply) bass drum head. The resonant (bottom) heads are probably okay on a two year old set, but the batter (top) heads that come on new sets are usually not great when they are new.

Then watch the videos suggested above and get the sound you want.

Then make your husband do something nice for you because you improved the drum set so much.

Then play along with the AC/DC Back in Black album turned up very loud. You'll be rocking - that I can promise you! :icon_e_biggrin:

Once again, welcome!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The drums sound great. They are tuned and the sound of the toms and cymbals fit the kind of music he plays (jazz mostly). I play Pennywise, Risa against and Sum41 and I feel that the toms are tuned too high?

At first I thought the toms were too small but after doing research I think they just need to be tuned lower? How the hell does a newbie do that (or is it possible)
O I get it now. Get your own drum set leave his alone He sounds like he knows what he's doing---
Really shouldn't mess with another drummers tuning even if he's your Dad brother husband

Or use the muffling O- ring below

Last edited:

Rock Salad

Reaction score
the muffling O ring sets that you just throw on the tom toms might do the trick for you both. the tuning can stay where it is but the muffler rings will take away the ringing that bothers your sensibilities.
You are not lost. You found the right place. You may need a cymbal or two of your own, and you can find those here too!
393BE9DE-31CA-4FD1-8504-99527E362222.jpeg

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the muffling O ring sets that you just throw on the tom toms might do the trick for you both. the tuning can stay where it is but the muffler rings will take away the ringing that bothers your sensibilities.
You are not lost. You found the right place. You may need a cymbal or two of your own, and you can find those here too! View attachment 448735
How well do they work on the dog? :blush:

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Start off here with these 3 tuning videos. They show an easy way to do it for a beginner. You might want to watch his other videos as well. He's very good!
I'd try tuning your current heads first and see how they sound. If they don't sound to your liking, then you can possibly buy better heads. After you have that resolved, then you can focus on the cymbal issue:
I've seen that Thumpification video! Hilarious!