Completely lost Newbie

Ems

Reaction score
Little confused Does your husband play drums or just has them. Are drums his main instrument?

Little confused why he can't answer any question
He plays for fun just like I do and has had just a little training. We're both beginners.

Ems

Reaction score
Omg thank you so much everyone! You are all awesome!
I will definitely try everything and I will definitely stick around!

Ems

Reaction score
Yamaha Live Custom are nice drums enjoy them
Yes they are. When I was a kid I had my own set and it was sheeet made of sheeet. Made me stop playing because the sound was awful.

Now that my husband traded his little jazz set for this one I just had to try playing again after 20 years.

Ems

Reaction score
What town are you in City/ Country? thxs...
I'm in finland! Maybe I should try to buy a lesson from Kai Hahto. I guess he could show me tuning also. I just feel stupid taking up his time since I'm not really a drummer just a person playing for fun

Reactions: JDA

Ems

Reaction score
Comparing crash cymbals to recordings is tricky. The louder you play, the splashier and thinner they sound. If you play softly, the cymbal sustains longer and sounds darker.
Try to find some video of your favorite players and see how much enegry they put into playing. If you want to play lighter, you might need thinner crashes (not chinas, these have a different character). If you can imagine playing louder, get some earplugs (seriously) and just do it; listen to how your cymbals sound now.
I play loud and HARD! :blob7:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm in finland!
You must get in touch with longtime friend/cymbalholic/DFO/ member.... ThomasL..!!!!! That's where he lives too : ) ThomasL is a very accomplished drummer..

I sent a note to post here; maybe you live near +

Last edited:
Reactions: Ems

Ems

Reaction score
You must get in touch with longtime friend/cymbalholic/DFO/ member.... ThomasL..!!!!! That's where he lives too : ) ThomasL is a very accomplished drummer..

I sent a note to post here; maybe you live near +
Awesome!

Reactions: JDA

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play loud and HARD! :blob7:
Drummer after my own heart!!!

Welcome to the forum, Ems. Lot of people here with an insane amount of knowledge. I'm not one of them. LOL

There is so much information out there right now, so much on YouTube to learn from for free. It's amazing. Start with a couple of beginner lessons and watch performance videos. You can learn so much just by watching others play the instrument well.

I wouldn't mess with the kit's tuning. The muffling ring mentioned above is a better idea. I also agree it's better to get your own cymbals and eventually your own kit as soon as that's a viable option.

Ems

Reaction score
Drummer after my own heart!!!

Welcome to the forum, Ems. Lot of people here with an insane amount of knowledge. I'm not one of them. LOL

There is so much information out there right now, so much on YouTube to learn from for free. It's amazing. Start with a couple of beginner lessons and watch performance videos. You can learn so much just by watching others play the instrument well.

I wouldn't mess with the kit's tuning. The muffling ring mentioned above is a better idea. I also agree it's better to get your own cymbals and eventually your own kit as soon as that's a viable option.
I don't want it muffled I think, just lower. But I will definitely watch the videos.

Ems

Reaction score
Welcome! Stick around....after 55 years drumming, I’m still learning new things here.
The more you know, the more you understand that you have no clue, right?! :D

ThomasL

Reaction score
Thanks, Joe! But, I play vintage drums and tune high so I might not be the OP is looking for. Here is a list of Finnish drummers offering lessons if it is of any help: