Concert Snare

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a Yamaha concert snare for a very low price, but I must confess, I don't know the difference between concert and a drumset snare. May I draw on someone's expertise? It is most likely maple, as the seller said "blonde wood."

I will be seeing the drum this afternoon, so any quick help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Johnny

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There really isn't a difference between a "concert" snare and a "drum set" snare. The differences are usually in choices made in terms of heads, head tension, snare wires, and drum sizes.

Ludwig snare drums have been very popular with concert band and orchestral drummers for many years. I have played concert literature for over 40 years. I usually play a Ludwig Black Beauty or a Rogers Dyna-Sonic.

I know thousands of school concert bands have used Acrolites for decades.

As a director, I would often have my percussionists change snare drums depending on the selection. This could vary between wood and metal shells and the size of the drum.

When playing marches and some military band music (ala Holst) I preferred a drum with at least a 6 1/2" depth and less tension. Some more contemporary works sounded best with a much crisper sound that called for a piccolo snare.

Yamaha makes some nice snares so I think it comes down to...do you like the sound of that specific drum?

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
Thank you very much, ReGal. That was my thought, also. A snare is a snare, but for all my years, I still have so much to learn.
That's why I like this forum! The mystery will be resolved this afternoon when I see it, and of course I'm hoping this will be a "Craig's List Coup." Film at 11.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe some concert snares have multi functional strainers. I'm not sure of Yamaha.

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
As Bob indicates ...can have multi-functional strainers and snares.

Also...designer timber jacks the price...recently I was sniped on one that

was flying under the radar on e-bay.

They hold some interest for me.

Peace, Chas

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=63102&CTID=234900

drmhed

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If they said the drum is "blonde", it might be the Yamaha CSM Series 'Intermediate' concert snare. Yamaha CSM They do offer a Berlin Symphonic Snare.....which along with the Pearl Philharmonic, a Black Swamp model, and maybe a couple other brands, have the '3 snare' configuration...usually two thicknesses of coated cable, and bare steel snappy snare wires. The coated cable snares are supposed to approximate the old school 'gut snare' sound, while the bare snappy snares afford a nice crisp sensitivity at the lower dynamic range. These are excellent drums for orchestral playing. The Yamaha CSM might actually be a good drumset snare...depending on the gig and your tuning choices. How much they want for it?

Slightly OT...I use a Pearl Philharmonic (ply). It's a really dandy orchestral snare. Here it is being used by one of my students, playing "Jeda Suite" by Todd Ukena, in our district solo and ensemble competition. Pretty darn good playing for an 8th grader! (The adjudicator is the principal timpanist in our symphony.) Jonathan playing "Jeda Suite"

Last edited by a moderator:

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Slightly OT...I use a Pearl Philharmonic (ply). It's a really dandy orchestral snare. Here it is being used by one of my students, playing "Jeda Suite" by Todd Ukena, in our district solo and ensemble competition. Pretty darn good playing for an 8th grader! (The adjudicator is the principal timpanist in our symphony.) Jonathan playing "Jeda Suite"
Please pass on my compliments to Jonathan! That was a LOT of music for an 8th grader. I had not heard this solo, but will be ordering a copy of it. I especially like mvts 3 and 4.

If I could offer one suggestion it would be to use a tone ring on the 4th mvt. I like the bit of ring the drum has, but think a tone ring on the movement with the most notes and articulations would make a nice musical contrast.

Hope he sticks (no pun) with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmhed

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please pass on my compliments to Jonathan! That was a LOT of music for an 8th grader. I had not heard this solo, but will be ordering a copy of it. I especially like mvts 3 and 4.

If I could offer one suggestion it would be to use a tone ring on the 4th mvt. I like the bit of ring the drum has, but think a tone ring on the movement with the most notes and articulations would make a nice musical contrast.

Hope he sticks (no pun) with it.
Thanks. I will pass your compliments along to Jonathan. He's a great student...smart, talented, hard working, dedicated, with very supportive parents, too...(A big 'plus')...and getting to be a great drumset player, too. He made Middle School All-State Band this year. I agree about the muffling on the last movement. I think part of the articulation deficit was due to the room, and his parents' small video camera. He could have even played more toward the center of the drum. But yeah, as I was watching it live, and then watched the vid, I was thinking a piece of Moongel (or tone ring) would have come in handy... :wink: I'm glad you're ordering "Jeda Suite". There are a number of interpretive questions, and a couple of printing corrections that Mr. Ukena answers on his web site. I communicated with him a few times about this piece. If you have any questions, let me know.

Sorry 'bout the temporary hijack, Johnny. So, did you get the drum? How much? What is it? Hijacking minds want to know... ;)

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, if you can grab a great snare at a great price buy it and decide later! One of the most awsome snares I've ever heard was a huge snare George at Rockin' Robin in Houston had at the drum counter. It was either a Yamaha or Pearl (Yammy I thing), black laquer, 15 X alot and it was amazing! Probably only really had an orchestra application, but WHAT an instrument! Near 2K for it too. If I'd had $$ to burn I would have gotten it! Good luck and let us see it once you bring it home.

drmhed

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you can grab a great snare at a great price buy it and decide later! One of the most awsome snares I've ever heard was a huge snare George at Rockin' Robin in Houston had at the drum counter. It was either a Yamaha or Pearl (Yammy I thing), black laquer, 15 X alot and it was amazing! Probably only really had an orchestra application, but WHAT an instrument! Near 2K for it too.
It was probably something like this...
Pearl Orchestral Field Drum
Although, Steve Weiss' price on this is actually not bad...for what you get. I'd love to own one of these for certain orchestral needs. But like you said..."if I had the money to burn".

So Johnny, surely you've seen (and purchased?) the snare by now. We're all sitting on the edge of our seats! What's the verdict???????

Latest posts