Concert Tom Versatility

dpaulb

Reaction score
Are concert toms suitable for various styles other than pop and rock? Jazz for instance?
I am wondering about '70s 3-ply Slingerlands.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think the "3 ply" gives you all that much with a concert tom. But I would think the higher pitched sizes like 6, 8 and 10 can give some extra voices to a jazz kit. In essence bongo's. And those were included in some of the old 40's and 50's kits. I'm not sure what you'd do with the larger sizes though. You might be able to get by with 12 and 13 tuned higher. ???

dpaulb

Reaction score
I don't think the "3 ply" gives you all that much with a concert tom. But I would think the higher pitched sizes like 6, 8 and 10 can give some extra voices to a jazz kit. In essence bongo's. And those were included in some of the old 40's and 50's kits. I'm not sure what you'd do with the larger sizes though. You might be able to get by with 12 and 13 tuned higher. ???
What I'm considering is 8x12, 9x13, 14x16 with double headed bass drum.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was playing a 1982 Yamaha 8000 series concert tom kit (8,10,12,13) a short while back. 16 and 18 FTs and 24" kick. And I tuned them a bit higher for less rock/pop and a lighter sound. I think they did ok. I was using Remo CS dots on the concert toms. But I think you can tune your drums up a bit and get close to what you're looking for. Danny Seraphine played concert toms for a while with Chicago. He made anything sound good though.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are concert toms suitable for various styles other than pop and rock? Jazz for instance?
I am wondering about '70s 3-ply Slingerlands.
I had a friend, a true be-bopper (born in 1935) who had a spare kit he would occasionally bring ( was a Yellowish Ludwig concert tom probably 12/14/20) and I can still hear the gig that day.. afternoon jazz inside as usual (Pittsburgh)
Concert toms (in jazz) really stand-out (shout-out)...of course he only played the right notes..but the concert toms--stood out. Regular person (non-musician) probably wouldn't notice... So yep can be done with an If..

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
And of course you have the father of Concert Tom kits..

Chico Hamilton

who never played a gig without a Concert tom set ( 99.8%)
Can hear him all day long on youtube.
He is/ was one-of a kind

A Jazz standard --->

So it's how you/judicious use of the toms...
bass and snare (cymbals) are stock pretty much

(double-word DFO score use of word "judicious"

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think concert toms are generally a drum that makes one optimal sound, than you can tune up or down. I have a concert tom kit, and I’ve played all styles with them, but they’re gonna sound like concert toms.

dpaulb

Reaction score
And of course you have the father of Concert Tom kits..

Chico Hamilton

who never played a gig without a Concert tom set ( 99.8%)
Can hear him all day long on youtube.
He is/ was one-of a kind

A Jazz standard --->

So it's how you/judicious use of the toms...
bass and snare (cymbals) are stock pretty much

(double-word DFO score use of word "judicious"
I enjoyed that very much!

Reactions: JDA

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roy Haynes also went through a concert tom phase- he even played Vistalite concert toms in the mid 70's.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

He was the first I ever heard use a 16 bass drum as well

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I A/Bd A 10” concert Tom next to a double headed Tom . I was shocked at how close they sounded .

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Chico Hamilton even used a single-headed bass drum apparently at some point.

Concert toms to my ear ssound a little bit like double-headed drums with the reso at a lower tension. A concert tom has a lower fundamental tone than a double-headed drum with both heads the same.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's something appealing to me about a person with concert toms, like they've decided with such conviction the sound they want that they've removed any possibilities for another option. No cut-out bottom heads for them. Pretty gutsy.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's something appealing to me about a person with concert toms, like they've decided with such conviction the sound they want that they've removed any possibilities for another option. No cut-out bottom heads for them. Pretty gutsy.
Ha , have you seen the concert tom Craviotto Kit ... ???