• 14EF7E1B-85B6-4E5D-89CD-F82680F2C905.png
    14EF7E1B-85B6-4E5D-89CD-F82680F2C905.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4A969919-36CF-4E8F-89D0-2418B95809DF.png
    4A969919-36CF-4E8F-89D0-2418B95809DF.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 27

clockworkorange

Reaction score
My great uncle was 3rd cousins with Queens engineer. That means I know things ……

This guy did ok with them

IMHO I can only really tell when its the 15 16 or the 18

But putting a diplomat on the eight tom I think he made famous
speaking of which, heard him and chester on the abacab tour, sound was phenomenal, open air CNE, but chester's drums sounded better. I was in front row so, I could actually get some unmic'd bleedin' coming at me :) My favourite 'combo' drummer, guy that combined concerts and double-headed toms was hands down, Tony Brock.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of which, heard him and chester on the abacab tour, sound was phenomenal, open air CNE, but chester's drums sounded better. I was in front row so, I could actually get some unmic'd bleedin' coming at me :) My favourite 'combo' drummer, guy that combined concerts and double-headed toms was hands down, Tony Brock.
I went down The Baby’s rabbit hole on Spotify 2 weeks ago , love Tony Brock and his Ludwig kit !!!!

Ryukyu

Reaction score
Nope, nope not gonna do it. I had a concert tom kit back in the late 70's. Don't like the sound and don't like the look.

clockworkorange

Reaction score
I went down The Baby’s rabbit hole on Spotify 2 weeks ago , love Tony Brock and his Ludwig kit !!!!
Brock's got some great John Bonham stories, lol. The sample snare for Cheap Trick's 'The Flame' was supposed to be one of Brock's samples he recorded.

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
The only bad part of concert tom kits is the number of mics you need to correctly mic them.
You know, all through the 80s, both and Phil Collins and Chester Thompson had one mic over two drums. Look at old pictures from the early 80s and you'll see this to be true. These pictures below are from the ABACAB era:

PhilCollinsDrummer-931.jpg
Phil2.jpg
Phil3.jpg
Chester1.jpeg
chester2tour-munich-gig-at-olympiahalle-1981-2AHKHBE.jpg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know, all through the 80s, both and Phil Collins and Chester Thompson had one mic over two drums. Look at old pictures from the early 80s and you'll see this to be true. These pictures below are from the ABACAB era:

View attachment 564239 View attachment 564240 View attachment 564241 View attachment 564242 View attachment 564243
That surprises me. But their sound guys forgot more in their pinkie than my entire knowledge of sound reinforcement. I was always told one mic inside the bottom of each concert tom.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Brock's got some great John Bonham stories, lol. The sample snare for Cheap Trick's 'The Flame' was supposed to be one of Brock's samples he recorded.
Interesting, I've never heard that info. That song has quite the story though. Nick Graham wrote it, and the label offered CT to choose from from one of two songs. Look Away (which ended up played by Chicago) and The Flame. Neilson hated it from what Ive read. Thanks for sharing that little tidbit. Im a big fan of Bun E, and Cheap Trick.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I didn't realize Bill Murray played concert toms

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've been back for so long now, they ought to be on their way back out again. :)

Who's got their power toms ready to go?

GeddyPeart

Reaction score
I inherited an 80’s tama set with a bunch of concert Tom’s. It’s a nice change from the traditional sets most everyone’s always using. They sound just fine and provide pretty darn good touch of style…something different…most non-drummers don’t care regardless…but they notice the drums are different.

clockworkorange

Reaction score
That surprises me. But their sound guys forgot more in their pinkie than my entire knowledge of sound reinforcement. I was always told one mic inside the bottom of each concert tom.
Doc, I think as sound reinforcement technology got more advanced the old tried and true could be infringed upon for different changed techniques, but the reasons that favored the mic inside were what the guys doing sound at the time found most reasonable for starting points in their attempts to 'clean' things up in live mixes...of course with studio stuff, you didn't necessarily have those same concerns. You also had the earlier considerations on the number of channels you were using at the time, if you stuck a mic up into each tom that was a channel a tom, mic from the top, you can get two toms from one channel.

Last edited: