header.nohb.html

Concert Toms are Back

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Roger Pope had his set up in a rather interesting "triangle" arrangement

The kit he used with Hall & Oates in 1978.
s-l1600.jpg

View attachment 566144
I loved this ad in the late 70s with Roger Pope. I remember seeing it in Musician magazine back then and I just drooled over that kit with the triad 6,8,10 high toms. Roger Pope was the "it" drummer back then, playing with Elton John and Hall & Oates. Great player!

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
The late Whitey Glan used a set of Rogers concert toms along with his Camcos.

pentti-glan-716090cf-d801-4933-9337-950f0066b03-resize-750.jpg
I loved Whitey with his side-ways mounted bass drums and the Camco/Rogers (concert toms) kit featured in the movie "The Rose". Oddly, there's virtually no information to be found on this unusual setup that he used. No one ever thought to interview him? After all, he even played with Alice Cooper during the "Welcome to my Nightmare" era and he was a monster player out of Toronto. RickP even knew him and Whitey and I shared the same B-Day! It's a shame that he's gone...

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Whitey with his side-ways mounted bass drums and the Camco/Rogers (concert toms) kit featured in the movie "The Rose". Oddly, there's virtually no information to be found on this unusual setup that he used. No one ever thought to interview him? After all, he even played with Alice Cooper during the "Welcome to my Nightmare" era and he was a monster player out of Toronto. RickP even knew him and Whitey and I shared the same B-Day! It's a shame that he's gone...

I was friends with Whitey and talked to him a couple times about the Camco kit he used with Bette Midler in the movie The Rose . This was not the first kit he used with the bass drum mounted flat . Whitey had this old Rogers lot that he stripped off the wrap and took off the bottom heads of the Toms and the Reso head of the bass drum . He would throw all the hardware into the bass drum for transport to local gigs . That old Rogers was beat up but he loved it and under his had it sounded fantastic .
Whitey still had the Camco kit in storage , not sure what happened nor that he has passed on .

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was friends with Whitey and talked to him a couple times about the Camco kit he used with Bette Midler in the movie The Rose . This was not the first kit he used with the bass drum mounted flat . Whitey had this old Rogers lot that he stripped off the wrap and took off the bottom heads of the Toms and the Reso head of the bass drum . He would throw all the hardware into the bass drum for transport to local gigs . That old Rogers was beat up but he loved it and under his had it sounded fantastic .
Whitey still had the Camco kit in storage , not sure what happened nor that he has passed on .
I remember you telling me that story, Rick. Whitey died in November, 2017.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gary Mallaber, when he appeared on-screen in "Phantom Of the Paradise"?
This was an interesting kit, aside from the 13 inch concert tom with mini classic lugs, the floor tom had Mach Lugs and the bass had Classic lugs.

MV5BNjc1Y2MzYjEtZDE0ZS00Mzc1LWI3MzktNzYyNTIzZWIzMjU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Attachments

• 20220617_174326.jpg
    20220617_174326.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 12