Concert toms

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used them mid-70s-80s because they projected more than double-headed toms on live gigs. I A-B'ed two sets, one with double-headed and one with Ludwig concert toms (identical sizes: 10-12-13-14) and the band chose the Ludwig concert toms. I later added a 6 & 8. Because they nested, they were also easier to schlep around. When I downsized later on, I switched to timbales for the same reasons - great projection and nestability.

MikedToms003.jpg

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama made me a set of 8” and 10” Star Maple concert toms and I absolutely love them. For smaller toms I like them much more than double headed. They bite and cut through plus they complement the rest of the double headed kit very nicely. Not strange at all. Engineers love them. Win, Win.

Check the fill at 1:14, fit nicely within the kit:

DBED2E6B-762D-4E80-A095-E5C9180C98B3.jpeg

Reaction score
A drummers sound is highly individualistic and personal. The drums you choose should reflect the sound you are looking for. There is no right or wrong and to each their own. Concert toms are a great way to add to your current lineup and enhance your sound. I added a couple of SPL toms from Musicians Friend. Explore your sound and have fun doing it.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the OP, what evidence is there for the statements "concert toms are becoming popular again" and "a lot of people (are) talking about them?"
So, is there evidence needed? Wow, concert tom police in da house!

Jim (drumnhands) works for Yamaha, he’s most likely in the know.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people are bringing them back in the same hipsterish way that some people brought back wax curled mustaches. I wouldn't call that a widespread thing. Not a fan myself.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, is there evidence needed? Wow, concert tom police in da house!

Jim (drumnhands) works for Yamaha, he’s most likely in the know.
There's a lot of threads based on premises that only exist in the poster's mind.

This one's interesting because I can't remember the last time I saw a pro drummer playing concert toms, but there are still a surprising number of single-headed toms being manufactured ... including:

Concert Tom Sets: Who Makes Single-Headed Drums These Days? (drummingreview.com)

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just from a very quick look on Instagram: Nate Smith, Ben Sesar, Joey Waronker, Taylor Hawkins, Tim Baltes, Chris Whitten, Matt Chamberlain, Todd Sucherman, Dan Bailey, Richard Jupp, and Paul Mabury have all used concert toms recently. They're not an every-song thing, but they're a super useful effect. I'd argue that many of the currently in-vogue tom sounds are substantially easier to get using concert toms. If you don't like the look, you can get the sound by using a mesh head on the bottom.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lotta drummers back in the day just cut out their bottom heads. Take a 14-inch tom and just cut out a 12-inch port on the reso side allowing keeping the look of a double-sided tom. No chance of misplacing the rim or screws.