Concert toms

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm putting together my first ever single headed ultralight kit right now featuring four CF Tempus toms all about 5" deep plus a 5" deep Pork Pie bass drum.

I'm a late bloomer.

SKINZ

Reaction score
There's a lot of threads based on premises that only exist in the poster's mind.

This one's interesting because I can't remember the last time I saw a pro drummer playing concert toms, but there are still a surprising number of single-headed toms being manufactured ... including:

Concert Tom Sets: Who Makes Single-Headed Drums These Days? (drummingreview.com)
U FIT THAT PERFECTLY POSTS IN UR OWN MIND

:cyclopsani:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Up 'till about 3 years ago, concert toms totally disapeared from the drum scene. Locally anyway. And all of a sudden, yes, they've made a comeback. I've started seeing friends of mine proudly posting their ebay/reverb/classified finds of concert toms sets on fb/insta. Mostly in indie/hipster circles, but a few rockers and even jazzers (the less traditionalist ones) have caught on as well. And they eventually started showing up on stages and in studios, a weird freak occurence at first, but now, not a rare sight at all.

In my area there is even a resurgence of interest in Simmons SDS series hexa-pads. Have you checked the prices on those lately?? Freaking ridiculous!!!

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together my first ever single headed ultralight kit right now featuring four CF Tempus toms all about 5" deep plus a 5" deep Pork Pie bass drum.

I'm a late bloomer.
I'd like to see/hear that when you've got it all together. Not sure how a 5" deep bass drum would sound.

flatwins

Reaction score
Just from a very quick look on Instagram: Nate Smith, Ben Sesar, Joey Waronker, Taylor Hawkins, Tim Baltes, Chris Whitten, Matt Chamberlain, Todd Sucherman, Dan Bailey, Richard Jupp, and Paul Mabury have all used concert toms recently. They're not an every-song thing, but they're a super useful effect. I'd argue that many of the currently in-vogue tom sounds are substantially easier to get using concert toms. If you don't like the look, you can get the sound by using a mesh head on the bottom.
Todd Sucherman’s Premier concert tom kit is a thing of beauty.