Concert toms

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seems that concert toms are becoming popular again, curious what your thoughts are? They were really popular back in the day and you saw them everywhere. I see a lot of people talking about them but don't really see them that much. I'm curious why?
They were popular during the drums should sound like cardboard boxes era.

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems that concert toms are becoming popular again, curious what your thoughts are? They were really popular back in the day and you saw them everywhere. I see a lot of people talking about them but don't really see them that much. I'm curious why?
These days drummers seem to be scaling their kits back. If I catch a local band the drummer might have a 5 piece kit at most, but just as likely might only have one or two toms. The more toms you have, the more concert toms become advantageous. For that reason, I just don't see them coming back in a big way.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
I use 6-8-10 concert toms and 10-12-13 double head rack toms. I think it works really well, double head toms are perfect for hard rock fills and concert toms are for progressive rock fills. The tune or sound between 10" toms (concert/double head) mix interestingly well.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They were popular during the drums should sound like cardboard boxes era.
They sound great when they're tensioned right. So do roto-toms. I plan to get a bunch of concert toms at some point. Not many companies offer them in their regular catalog though. Yamaha only offers them in one finish, from their classical percussion dept.

Those would probably match (finish-wise) the Tour Custom drums in the Chocolate satin finish:

mattr

Reaction score
They sound great when they're tensioned right. So do roto-toms. I plan to get a bunch of concert toms at some point. Not many companies offer them in their regular catalog though. Yamaha only offers them in one finish, from their classical percussion dept.

Those would probably match (finish-wise) the Tour Custom drums in the Chocolate satin finish:
This is the dilemma I had putting together my big kit from Pearl. Getting a matching finish on the kicks to match the Symphonics would have made them a custom Masterworks order, and something like $1500/ea 15 years ago. Now, had I thought it through then I should have went with the 4-ply mahogany Philharmonics… but the 6 ply maple Symphonics definitely bark!

1988fxlr

Reaction score
I’ve got a kit and they sound cool for the a very percussive attack with quick decay, but I would never personally seek them out. Just get old pinstripes and cut along the line to run as resonant heads for the same effect without losing versatility. A 13” tom will still nest in 16” floor that way, and I would guess a 10” would nest in the 13”.
5A01A239-CF77-49BB-8047-DB0135824166.jpeg
AF848A67-5AAF-4AA8-8C22-5EAC2F73C5B6.jpeg

flatwins

Reaction score
I
I’ve got a kit and they sound cool for the a very percussive attack with quick decay, but I would never personally seek them out. Just get old pinstripes and cut along the line to run as resonant heads for the same effect without losing versatility. A 13” tom will still nest in 16” floor that way, and I would guess a 10” would nest in the 13”. View attachment 504217 View attachment 504218
I have a North high hat stand if you don’t already have one.

1988fxlr

Reaction score
I

I have a North high hat stand if you don’t already have one.
I don’t but I’m trying to curb my gas right now. Finally moved out of an apartment into a house two weeks ago and have already bought new hi hats and reheaded an 11 piece kit. Should probably acquire furniture before more drum toys. I’m guessing you’re an airhead rider from the name? You over on advrider by any chance?

flatwins

Reaction score
I don’t but I’m trying to curb my gas right now. Finally moved out of an apartment into a house two weeks ago and have already bought new hi hats and reheaded an 11 piece kit. Should probably acquire furniture before more drum toys. I’m guessing you’re an airhead rider from the name? You over on advrider by any chance?
Good eye! I do have a few airheads from ‘63-‘78. Unfortunately they collect more dust than miles. Noticed your HD handle as well. I’m on ADVRider but don’t get over there much.

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Good eye! I do have a few airheads from ‘63-‘78. Unfortunately they collect more dust than miles. Noticed your HD handle as well. I’m on ADVRider but don’t get over there much.
I’m oilleaker over there. Might need a crossover build at some point. Maybe vistalites on a ural hack

josephhand

Reaction score
Ok, drum novice / hack here... can someone explain to me why you need a special drum with one head? Why not just remove the resonance head from a normal tom to achieve that effect? Is there a major tone difference? or is it an aesthetics thing?

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Ok, drum novice / hack here... can someone explain to me why you need a special drum with one head? Why not just remove the resonance head from a normal tom to achieve that effect? Is there a major tone difference? or is it an aesthetics thing?
You can remove the resonant head from a regular tom to get the same effect, but its better to cut a head to protect the bearing edge. Concert toms/single headed toms do sound significantly different. Faster attack with very little sustain. They are also easier to tune to specific pitches as there are less overtones to deal with.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I have always liked a 10” or 12” concert Tom mixed in with my double headed toms. I saw Danny Seraphine doing this back in the say. Something about a flam on a concert Tom that inspires me. I would not have an entire kit though

Attachments

Spoonman

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama made me a set of 8” and 10” Star Maple concert toms and I absolutely love them. For smaller toms I like them much more than double headed. They bite and cut through plus they complement the rest of the double headed kit very nicely. Not strange at all. Engineers love them. Win, Win.

Check the fill at 1:14, fit nicely within the kit:

View attachment 503785
Totally agree Halldorl! Just took delivery of a new kit, adding in the 8 & 10 concert toms for just the reasons you describe. Yes, my friend in the early 80’s had a black Octa-plus outfit…which was great at the time. Now, I find the tone and spice you can create with a concert tom is something I will always appreciate…like a splash, but different.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

It's the same. That's how the 'sound' started out, with drummers in the 70's removing the bottom head on their toms to gain more volume and to cut out some of the unwanted resonances. This was the early days of multi-mic recording and people just found the continuous hum of double headed toms a PITA.
What happened when removing the bottom head of regular toms was that the remaining tensioning nuts often rattled. Also, you often lost your bottom rim and tuning rods over time. So drum companies jumped on the trend and offered single headed toms (by design).

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just refinished a gretsch 9x13 to go with a single headed 8x12 that Im going to ise for some gigs this summer. Very melodic and interesting tone variation from the ususal double headed scene. Reminds me of Airto or Roy Haynes or Chico Hamilton. I dont really dig the sound of the single headed floor tom though.
08777EA1-B0EE-4791-BF4C-16A7D47F9B24.jpeg

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That all happened before I was born, but didn't drum companies already make them like that for concert/symphonic percussion? You don't really want the sustain of a double headed tom when the reverb of a concert hall lasts 5 seconds. They also make nice clean single tones that are easy to tune in intervals. I played a nice set of Ludwigs in a percussion ensemble once.

superunknown

Reaction score
Im looking for some TAMA superstar concert toms 6&8 in candy apple red if anyone has any they dont want.