Concert toms

BillC

Reaction score
You guys got me on this one. I jokingly said about 10 years ago that concert toms would be the next “thing”.
Joey Waronker has a couple of kits with concert toms we made. His core kit for the Roger Waters tour was a 5pc 6ply maple with 6 ply rings. One thing many people don’t know about Joey is how good his ear really is. We were trying to make drums that would cover the different eras of Floyd music along with Rogers solo work. Jake remembers probably better than I do. I remember we built 2 sets of concert toms in two different ply thickness. Initially I thought, “what does it matter?” But it actually did matter. Both same size and depth. But the sound was different. I had obtained a set of raw beech shells from Rob Birenbaum, founder of HQ percussion many years ago. They were added to the kit. So if memory serves me correctly there were 8 concert toms. On both sides of the 5pc doubleheaded 6&6 kit. Shipped him the drums in LA. He and his tech sat at his storage space with a stereo tuning the drums to match the sounds of the record.
As fate would have it the Waters tour started in KC. I relearned a valuable lesson. Don’t assume. They made a great difference in the sound of the drums in the music. If I remember correctly they were ran through an analogy board at FOH. Although I was 61. I felt 16 again. He and his tech did a fabulous job making them sound right. And Joey stayed true to the drum parts. It was one night when concert toms were a thing of beauty.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
For a while, I played small size concert above my hats tuned really high and tight. They wear mostly accent toms- very similar to Taylor Hawkins. They were fun but ultimately got changed out for more cymbals. Great for big fills and ska type stuff though.

Attachments

Stalky55

Reaction score
Had a pair of Maxwin, by Pearl, 8" and 10" back in the late 70s for a short while whilst playing in a country rock band. Main kit, as always, Hayman 4 piece. Soon went back to just 4, less to transport and set up. We're a bit of a fad really.
Having said that, I've always played with bottom heads removed on all but snare, obviously, since I began playing in '68. All down to preference I reckon. If you're happy with your own sound what does it matter?

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree Halldorl! Just took delivery of a new kit, adding in the 8 & 10 concert Tina for just the reasons you describe. Yes, my friend in the early 80’s has the black Octa-plus outfit…which was great, but the tone and spice you can create with a concert tom is something I will always appreciate…like a splash, but different.
That’s a very pretty kit. Dig the colour! Congrats!

Monday317

Reaction score
It seems that concert toms are becoming popular again, curious what your thoughts are? They were really popular back in the day and you saw them everywhere. I see a lot of people talking about them but don't really see them that much. I'm curious why?
In my own experience, a tom is a tom is a tom. If you prefer no bottom head, fine. Aluminum shell? Fine. Square (diameter = depth) tom? Fine. Like Duke Ellington said, If it sounds great, it is great...

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A drummer guy playing concert toms with some singer songwriter guy I've never heard of....on some cable access show Johnny Kibble or something...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got mine back from Ludwig fire on a trade plus he added a 16x16 concert floor and bass drum shell. I have to get all the heads back on and all set up. 9x10, 11x12,12x13,13x14 in blue sparkle dated 1989 or 90 don't remember. We're new old stock straight from the factory...as the Cash songs says "they're cheaper that way"

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Had a pair of Maxwin, by Pearl, 8" and 10" back in the late 70s for a short while whilst playing in a country rock band. Main kit, as always, Hayman 4 piece. Soon went back to just 4, less to transport and set up. We're a bit of a fad really.
Having said that, I've always played with bottom heads removed on all but snare, obviously, since I began playing in '68. All down to preference I reckon. If you're happy with your own sound what does it matter?
My dad had a set of purple Haymans before he moved to the states from Ireland and bought the old Ludwigs I’m still playing. I always wondered what they sounded like

Spoonman

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my own experience, a tom is a tom is a tom. If you prefer no bottom head, fine. Aluminum shell? Fine. Square (diameter = depth) tom? Fine. Like Duke Ellington said, If it sounds great, it is great...
That’s a very pretty kit. Dig the colour! Congrats!
Thanks Halldorl, it’s called Bronze Mist.
I have to admit, when I saw your added concert toms, it pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger and added them in! No regrets at all!

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
I used to Love concert toms, had a big silver/gray set of Pearl's w/ concert toms back in the late 70s, sort of like Peter Criss / then a large TAMA set w/ concert toms early 80's .... Now days , not so much. I still Like concert toms, but love the deep ringing , sustain, full sound of a great double headed tom. I kept the tiny 8" bongo/concert tom from my old TAMA set. Will always keep that one. That was the best sounding one of the bunch.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of threads based on premises that only exist in the poster's mind.

This one's interesting because I can't remember the last time I saw a pro drummer playing concert toms, but there are still a surprising number of single-headed toms being manufactured ... including:

Concert Tom Sets: Who Makes Single-Headed Drums These Days? (drummingreview.com)
TreeHouse Drums...as well

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
You guys got me on this one. I jokingly said about 10 years ago that concert toms would be the next “thing”.
Joey Waronker has a couple of kits with concert toms we made. His core kit for the Roger Waters tour was a 5pc 6ply maple with 6 ply rings. One thing many people don’t know about Joey is how good his ear really is. We were trying to make drums that would cover the different eras of Floyd music along with Rogers solo work. Jake remembers probably better than I do. I remember we built 2 sets of concert toms in two different ply thickness. Initially I thought, “what does it matter?” But it actually did matter. Both same size and depth. But the sound was different. I had obtained a set of raw beech shells from Rob Birenbaum, founder of HQ percussion many years ago. They were added to the kit. So if memory serves me correctly there were 8 concert toms. On both sides of the 5pc doubleheaded 6&6 kit. Shipped him the drums in LA. He and his tech sat at his storage space with a stereo tuning the drums to match the sounds of the record.
As fate would have it the Waters tour started in KC. I relearned a valuable lesson. Don’t assume. They made a great difference in the sound of the drums in the music. If I remember correctly they were ran through an analogy board at FOH. Although I was 61. I felt 16 again. He and his tech did a fabulous job making them sound right. And Joey stayed true to the drum parts. It was one night when concert toms were a thing of beauty.
Joey also picked up several Jenkins-Martin concert toms, and was mixing them with your C&C drums! These are pics of him playing with “Beck”. ;)
27993664-7198-4C51-BC19-0D223B82C0AA.jpeg F53EEF3A-A3BF-4307-83D2-7BB1CF115C4E.jpeg

Stalky55

Reaction score
My dad had a set of purple Haymans before he moved to the states from Ireland and bought the old Ludwigs I’m still playing. I always wondered what they sounded like
I've had 3 sets of Haymans over the years, first in 1973 was silver ingot, then gold ingot, currently have an early (68) in midnight blue.
How do they sound? Depends how you tune 'em, but always loud!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days drummers seem to be scaling their kits back. If I catch a local band the drummer might have a 5 piece kit at most, but just as likely might only have one or two toms. The more toms you have, the more concert toms become advantageous. For that reason, I just don't see them coming back in a big way.
I agree and I wouldn't wanna pay what they cost today. I already have the full set of 8 plus the 20-inch Gong drum of the late '70s and early '80s. Tama's Imperialstar line. Also have the full set of 8 octobans from Tama back in the early 80's. Got a set of 6 home-made aluminum Hextobans. Got all Remo Roto-toms in every size plus a 2nd 18-inch. I also have all 8 sizes of LP timbales. Once I get my home rehabbed I'll start at making a pair of 24-inch bass timbales. Already have the stainless steel and hardware for them. Got six old-school calf-skin heads on Craigslist that are in perfect shape. We'll see how they sound.

Last edited: