Concert toms

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also recently saw this Thomas Lang video

I still have my Neil Peart-copied Slingerland concert tom kit.
I found this very interesting and a lot of fun. Thomas Lang has an incredible talent and a ton of enthusiasm when it comes to drumming. In a different era, he might have been the Carl Palmer of his time. It's too bad the music industry isn't what it used to be.

Michael M.

Reaction score
I used them mid-70s-80s because they projected more than double-headed toms on live gigs. I A-B'ed two sets, one with double-headed and one with Ludwig concert toms (identical sizes: 10-12-13-14) and the band chose the Ludwig concert toms. I later added a 6 & 8. Because they nested, they were also easier to schlep around. When I downsized later on, I switched to timbales for the same reasons - great projection and nestability.

View attachment 503782
Yeah I love my concert Tom's. I use 2 bass drums with 12, 13, 14 , 15 inch double -headers. Then the concert Tom's 6, 8, 10 are on one stand. I made a block of maple that has a 3" radius on one side, and a 4" radius on the other, and hooked the 6 and 8 together. C T ' s forever.

Michael M.

Reaction score
I really like concert toms 12” and smaller then double heads 13” and larger. The epic fills that Peart played on “Witch Hunt” demonstrate that configuration.
Yeah ! I loved seeing Mr. Peart wear out those C.T. s !

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see a uprise myself too, with a max the last year.

As mentioned earlier, the new John Mayer song has Aaron Sterling on drums, with concert toms.

He uses these live and in the videoclip.

He used a recording setup without resonant parts too.

So does Yussef Dayes:
1625758694081.jpeg

Also Gary Wallis used a full concert toms kit in 2020 for Schiller:

Last edited:

Danyellbals

Reaction score
I have also had a Ludwig Quadra Plus in opaque Vista Lite Black. Man, I liked that thing so much. I mean, it looks fantastic, and they are loud as hell. Every single time when my neighbor's dog was making noise in the morning, I started to play those drums. He even called the police a couple of times, but I didn't even receive a ticket. I really liked to troll that bastard. Actually, I adore musing, and I follow all the charts on show4me.com as they have the best songs there. Honestly, I was surprised that I actually found some proper charts.

Last edited:

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
Yeah I love my concert Tom's. I use 2 bass drums with 12, 13, 14 , 15 inch double -headers. Then the concert Tom's 6, 8, 10 are on one stand. I made a block of maple that has a 3" radius on one side, and a 4" radius on the other, and hooked the 6 and 8 together. C T ' s forever.
Several years ago I played this house kit that had a setup like that high up over the hi-hat. Needless to say I played a few more fills that night. The guys kit that it was came up excited afterwards, "I noticed you went for the high ones!"

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Growing up the Ludwig kit I had I took the bottom heads off because that was the thing to do when I was young well today I haven’t heard a concert tom that I’ve liked. Some sound dead as a box some sound like a timbale lol I’ll stick with reso heads

Reaction score
I think stick response feels a lot better with resos and the bigger drums need resos. The 6,8,10 and 12 sound really good but take the bottom head off your floor tom and it is disappointing. To my ear anyways.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I played on an old set of Rogers with no reso heads as a kid. I had no idea 2 heads were an option. I got a kit from the sears catalog when I was 7. It had reso heads AND a drum key. My mind was blown.

Reaction score
I had to share this on this thread. Straight up, simple and all maple concert toms. I am blown away by these. I would like to have the whole set! Well, maybe not the 13 and 15 but hey. They're pretty cheap too lol

Attachments