Confessions of a cymbal gear-head

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sure, true for anyone at any time. Gear sniffing is a luxury that many of us choose to spend our time and resources on, but we'd all be better players if we focused on technique and artistry instead. Some of the best music I've ever heard was performed and recorded on whatever crummy gear the artist could get their hands on.

But high end cymbals sure do sound sweet. I love their subtleties and complexities, and I'm delighted when I find two or more that complement each other perfectly.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Do you worry about your gear or do you enjoy buying gear? There´s a difference, you know. :)

I love cymbals, and I love getting new stuff. Shopping won´t make me a better player but great instruments do inspire me to play more and sometimes even differently (in a good way). So - win-win for me.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Do you worry about your gear or do you enjoy buying gear? There´s a difference, you know. :)

I love cymbals, and I love getting new stuff. Shopping won´t make me a better player but great instruments do inspire me to play more and sometimes even differently (in a good way). So - win-win for me.
That’s true!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sticking with Zildjian As can never be a bad thing, but as compared to what? I.e., which other cymbals do you own? If the rest of your collection is B8 junk, then the answer is obvious. But if you also have a stock of Istanbuls or Soultones, or Ks or HHs, then the answer might be a bit tougher.

In the end, though, I guess the "correct" answer is, "Which do you like/enjoy the most?"

GeeDeeEmm

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Oh god

Here’s my load of cymbals

Paiste signatures
Paiste 3000s
Sabian hhs
Zildjian a s
Sabian xsrs and xs20s
Stagg dhs
Wuhan cast bronze

Too many actually

But it’s fun trying to find the next best thing
Even though it’s an endless quest!!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guilty here too. I've use all Paistes 99% of the time. I've got too many to mention.
The best cymbal I own, is the 15 2002 SE hats. Not only do they sound great, the chic really cuts through, and had helped my time. If my left foot is off, those hats really me know. Ime, once my L foot got truly solid, my time really improved. I had always thought it was solid, until I started using thoes

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I rarely buy new cymbals. Just usually getting/holding nice 50's A's. Some I love and cherish forever. Others I think of as a good investment.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm guilty too..... I own approx 80 cymbals most are Zildjian but I do have Sabian and Bosphorus too. That being said they don't make me play better, I just enjoy them and the hunt for them! Some years ago I took a few golf lessons the instructor told me " practice don't purchase" LOL. I am able to stick to this for golf....drums n cymbals...not so much :)

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
While it's nice to have great tools, they are no substitute for imagination and conviction.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Guilty here too. I've use all Paistes 99% of the time. I've got too many to mention.
The best cymbal I own, is the 15 2002 SE hats. Not only do they sound great, the chic really cuts through, and had helped my time. If my left foot is off, those hats really me know. Ime, once my L foot got truly solid, my time really improved. I had always thought it was solid, until I started using thoes
So I guess you´re basically telling me to go and buy the 602 SE hats my dealer has on sale? Thanks, just what I needed to hear. :-D

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never heard the 602 SE (15's?), but if it has pronounced chic, it definitely helped my consistency. I had never had hats that loud, crisp, or cutting. The 14 Sig SE, nor the 14 2002's has the volume, although they also sound amazing! I've still yet to hear any of the new 602's. If they're as I've heard in vids, I think I need a 20 thin crash
Even the 14's with the ching ring wasn't as helpful for me.
Good luck with em!

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why is the love of gear hunting equated with more practice?
As drumming is one of my passions, why wouldn't I be curious about the gear we use? It's not feasible for me to practice all the time at home, so why not indulge my passion in ways that interest me when I cannot practice?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have so many cymbals and such from various brands

Seems I’m always looking for the next great thing

I’m thinking...wouldn’t it be better if I just kept my zildjian a’s and worked on my game than worry about my gear?
Yes because there's lessoned within one cymbal.

What happens is; the opportunity to explore everything in ("say a good") one cymbal is , if it's not on-stage pretty steadily you never get to explore everything.

Sitting at home it's " if this one was a little heavier""if this one was a little bigger" "If this one was a different make". We all do that.

Taking one for a year on stage exploring everything - you and it- can do together and you get a different perspective on it.

The cymbals " I loved on stage" get lonely alone at home by themselves and all kinds of thoughts creep into one's head. Yea I know I do it.
You have to keep in mind -sitting at home- however pleasant that may be- none of these (cymbals) are getting road-tested. So don't judge them all -too harshly.
they are a different animal (when they are) out there on a gig.
Stage is the laboratory where sounds are pulled from, out of, and into a cymbal.
Home alone (not recording) is a warehouse a stockroom just can't put cymbals drums everything to the test (unless you're recording and playing it back etc)

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why is the love of gear hunting equated with more practice?
As drumming is one of my passions, why wouldn't I be curious about the gear we use? It's not feasible for me to practice all the time at home, so why not indulge my passion in ways that interest me when I cannot practice?
Yes, yes, and yes!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have so many cymbals and such from various brands

Seems I’m always looking for the next great thing

I’m thinking...wouldn’t it be better if I just kept my zildjian a’s and worked on my game than worry about my gear?
Hi.
For many years now Ive only owned 4 cymbals
Ride, crash, hats, china
But.....i would buy,sell,buy,sell..continually...losing money and getting all emo over it.
My friends at cymbalholic.com said "you should have a variety of cymbals so when you get moody and want to change..you have options and dont have to keep doing this "
So for the last two years I accumulated 10 rides, 9 crashes, and 8 sets of hi hats.
Lots of variety amongst Zildjian and Paiste brands

So after gigging ALL of those cymbals in various bands and rooms Ive sold all(almost all) of them off.
Why?
Because I always came back to the same 4 cymbals. That was a sign that my experiment was successful.
For ME the result was go back to my set of 4 cymbals and just play and be done with it.
It could have turned out differently...i.e. have a few sets and some more options.
But. I gave it a try and now I am 100% focused on music not looking at videos and buying and selling. Ill always look in the for sale section and chime in if a hear a nice cymbal...but not with intent to purchase.

For me ? Im done. It feels good.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Latest posts