Confessions of a cymbal gear-head

Ptrick

Reaction score
Hi.
For many years now Ive only owned 4 cymbals
Ride, crash, hats, china
But.....i would buy,sell,buy,sell..continually...losing money and getting all emo over it.
My friends at cymbalholic.com said "you should have a variety of cymbals so when you get moody and want to change..you have options and dont have to keep doing this "
So for the last two years I accumulated 10 rides, 9 crashes, and 8 sets of hi hats.
Lots of variety amongst Zildjian and Paiste brands

So after gigging ALL of those cymbals in various bands and rooms Ive sold all(almost all) of them off.
Why?
Because I always came back to the same 4 cymbals. That was a sign that my experiment was successful.
For ME the result was go back to my set of 4 cymbals and just play and be done with it.
It could have turned out differently...i.e. have a few sets and some more options.
But. I gave it a try and now I am 100% focused on music not looking at videos and buying and selling. Ill always look in the for sale section and chime in if a hear a nice cymbal...but not with intent to purchase.

For me ? Im done. It feels good.

Your mileage may vary.
Yes Tom, I know that journey well. Took me 15 years of searching with cymbals, currently on the tail end of a 14 year search for the perfect snare.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sticking with Zildjian As can never be a bad thing, but as compared to what? I.e., which other cymbals do you own? If the rest of your collection is B8 junk, then the answer is obvious. But if you also have a stock of Istanbuls or Soultones, or Ks or HHs, then the answer might be a bit tougher.

In the end, though, I guess the "correct" answer is, "Which do you like/enjoy the most?"

GeeDeeEmm
"B8 junk" So is it in your opinion cymbals made with B8 alloy I'd junk?
My first set of cymbals ever were Sabian B8's, and yeah, I concider thoes garbage.
Paiste has a number of B8 cymbals that are true pro cymbals. Giant Beats, 2002's, Rude, etc.......I don't know of many drummers that would consider those Junk.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste has a number of B8 cymbals that are true pro cymbals. Giant Beats, 2002's, Rude, etc.......I don't know of many drummers that would consider those Junk.
Hah! I should have listened to my wee inner voice that - within 1 second of hitting the "post reply" icon - told me, "somebody's going to take that as an attack on all B8 cymbals." Well, sure enough . . . .

Mea Culpa.

GeeDeeEmm

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hah! I should have listened to my wee inner voice that - within 1 second of hitting the "post reply" icon - told me, "somebody's going to take that as an attack on all B8 cymbals." Well, sure enough . . . .

Mea Culpa.

GeeDeeEmm
Ha, man you didn't need an inner voice to see that coming. That was an 80 mph fastball, right down Broadway.
I'm pretty shocked I'm the only one. Paiste B8 is as good as cymbals sound.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
I've never heard the 602 SE (15's?), but if it has pronounced chic, it definitely helped my consistency. I had never had hats that loud, crisp, or cutting. The 14 Sig SE, nor the 14 2002's has the volume, although they also sound amazing! I've still yet to hear any of the new 602's. If they're as I've heard in vids, I think I need a 20 thin crash
Even the 14's with the ching ring wasn't as helpful for me.
Good luck with em!
BTW Reverb is selling 15 specially ordered sets of 602 15” sound edge cymbals. They are asking $620 but accepted my lower offer immediately so thank you drum center Portsmouth! Best set of hats ever.....and my second pair to boot. Couldn’t resist the the cymbalholic primal urge to send more of my hard earned $$ to the cymbal gods. I have a great business model when it comes to new pies......but new & sell at a loss! Either that or buy more cymbal cases which I have about 7 now (all Paiste pies)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need more cases as well. There's someone local selling brand new 602's at $380. I really love the 15 SE, but we seem to have similar tastes. The 15 2002's aren't good for every situation (small afternoon lunch gigs), but I have 2 sets of 14's too. They both are heavy, but from different decades. The lighter pair will work for any occasion.
Yeah, you convinced me. The guys an hour away, and they really are brand new. Looks like a road trip some day this week. There are also some 17 DE's nearby, so I'll see how it goes with the 19's.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
The 602 14” heavies still elude me but I do I have a set of 14” mediums that are nice. Really loving the 602 15 SE’s can’t say enough about em except I would definitely use 2002 15 SE’s for louder situations

Latest posts