Confirmation of last Chicago built Supraphonics

How bad were things in Chicago before the move?

• Just keeping your head down...

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Pure Kaos, Chaotic as all get out...

• Depressing

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Worse than all that...

• Total voters

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are my 84’s:
6.5x14 anniversary
5x14 supraphonic bowtie
No numbers

Attachments

• 598F064D-AF9C-46C0-9ACA-3D87B1D18D96.jpeg
    598F064D-AF9C-46C0-9ACA-3D87B1D18D96.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 23

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What in the world leads you to believe that the blistering is caused by moving a drum from a fresh to salt water environment????

Further, since when has Monroe been moved from SW NC to the coast?????? Your "theory" has zero basis in fact!
The phenomenon is the result of the Prop Stream, a wind current below the Jet Steam that moves air from East to West. It was first discovered by the Wright Brother in their work in the Outer Banks and is now host to many Cessna style aircraft. The relationship between the Prop and Jet Stream produces convection pulling moisture from the Atlantic and rebounding off the Appalachians. This environment is prime for bending and shaping wood. Ludwig and Gretsch have know this for years. Unfortunately, Ludwig quickly learned about the negative impact on Ludaloy shells imported from the Midwest.
1655912763819.jpeg

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@drumtimejohn ...Are these pictures of a late Chicago era snare that you own?
I would like to archive them...
I purchased it on DFO for $112.50, replaced the heads, wires, strainer (P86), and hoops and eventually sold it for $200. It sounded like any Supra I’ve played. The pictures are of the drum when I owned it. For historical value, it did not have internal Ludaloy stamp/markings or the blue Ludwig sticker.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The phenomenon is the result of the Prop Stream, a wind current below the Jet Steam that moves air from East to West. It was first discovered by the Wright Brother in their work in the Outer Banks and is now host to many Cessna style aircraft. The relationship between the Prop and Jet Stream produces convection pulling moisture from the Atlantic and rebounding off the Appalachians. This environment is prime for bending and shaping wood. Ludwig and Gretsch have know this for years. Unfortunately, Ludwig quickly learned about the negative impact on Ludaloy shells imported from the Midwest.
View attachment 567137

Well, having distributed EXTERIOR metal products for more than 40 years, I would argue your theory and documentation may be convincing (to some) but has been disproven in the field in our experience.

Any metallic product sold (by us) for coastal applications (typically aluminum), is AAMA 2605 rated (aka Kynar) and performs quite well on the coast (although not mandated by code). We continue to specify it inland as an option (80-100 miles) inland, few select it, but opt for AAMA 2604 which has been performing quite well for many, many years. A snare drum in a box in Monroe is 180 miles from the coast, is in an indoor conditioned space and clearly not subject to atmospheric conditions, be it fresh or salt air.

I believe the cause of Supra blisters has been researched and discussed ad nauseum for at least 25-30 years that I've been here dating back to Harry's site. Quite simply aluminum and the chrome process Ludwig was out sourcing didn't get along too well.

Guess we can agree to disagree on all this, certainly not worth my time, but when I see a comment like yours I feel compelled to call it out.

Cheers,
R.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s the ethics police primarily reflecting the changing of parts and posts (edit/delete), as well as, misrepresentation of the drum not it’s price. Yet if it helps I’m tracking 1299, 899, 449, and now 499. The hoops are likely half the value and those could be had for $150 shipped on DFO this year.

Attachments

• 26DC473C-74BF-45EF-85EC-C42C8A8F02D9.jpeg
    26DC473C-74BF-45EF-85EC-C42C8A8F02D9.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 13
  • A4C6395A-F8F3-480E-8514-49A00CB5DFDD.jpeg
    A4C6395A-F8F3-480E-8514-49A00CB5DFDD.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 14

Commodore

Reaction score
Perhaps it’s the ethics police primarily reflecting the changing of parts and posts (edit/delete), as well as, misrepresentation of the drum not it’s price. Yet if it helps I’m tracking 1299, 899, 449, and now 499. The hoops are likely half the value and those could be had for $150 shipped on DFO this year.
What are you? I was offered $300 for them when the listing began.

You've taken over this thread, been stupid and judgemental.

Nobody misrepresented anything ...I just asked a question.

I need some help, here! You're following me like a Proctologist...

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You have a late chicago built supra. You might want to change the title from “confirmation of last” to “very late” to get less flack. There is zero reason to believe this drum was the last out of Chicago and since there would be a collector mark up if such a thing were true, or prove able, feathers get ruffled

Commodore

Reaction score
You have a late chicago built supra. You might want to change the title from “confirmation of last” to “very late” to get less flack. There is zero reason to believe this drum was the last out of Chicago and since there would be a collector mark up if such a thing were true, or prove able, feathers get ruffled
Thanks. Will do. Right now, It now says "among the last." This guy is acting like some kind of a stawk...er.

He's following every change in an offsite ad.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are you? I was offered $300 for them when the listing began.

You've taken over this thread, been stupid and judgemental.

Nobody misrepresented anything ...I just asked a question.

I need some help, here! You're following me like a Proctologist...
GLWS.