header.nohb.html

Conga Training

jsp210

Reaction score
Nice! Wondering if that is a quinto/conga setup or conga/tumba. Any thoughts?

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Wondering if that is a quinto/conga setup or conga/tumba. Any thoughts?
*** Edit - Too bad this video is gone. It was pure conga genius.

Tata Guines looks like conga and Tumba.

Tata was a god. When I first discovered Tata Guines, I talked to my high school music teacher about it, and I told him "I don't think I will ever be able to play like that". His response was "You never will. It is a culture you have to be born into from birth". I think he was right about that. One thing I have in common with Tata is I have always used two congas, usually a quinto and conga. Sometimes I throw in the Tumba, but on most jobs it was always just two congas. I've been playing around recently with all four, but I still like two congas.

This is a cool video. I am throwing it out here because it is literally the first time I ever saw Tata Guines. A friend from JCR Percussion sent it to me many years ago. Recorded in his home with an old VHS tape video recorder. Just blew my mind. This is the video that made me think "I will never be able to play like this".

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tata Guines looks like conga and Tumba.

Tata was a god. When I first discovered Tata Guines, I talked to my high school music teacher about it, and I told him "I don't think I will ever be able to play like that". His response was "You never will. It is a culture you have to be born into from birth". I think he was right about that. One thing I have in common with Tata is I have always used two congas, usually a quinto and conga. Sometimes I throw in the Tumba, but on most jobs it was always just two congas. I've been playing around recently with all four, but I still like two congas.

This is a cool video. I am throwing it out here because it is literally the first time I ever saw Tata Guines. A friend from JCR Percussion sent it to me many years ago. Recorded in his home with just an old VHS tape video recorder. Just blew my mind. This is the video that made me think "I will never be able to play like this".

Awesome video thank you for sharing this. Wow.

Jazz Turkey

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents…

For me, A percussion life has some clear break downs of conga patterns

I can’t even follow the Tata chops. He is on a whole different level. A couple of drums, no cymbals, no hardware…. Incredible.