Considering a rack for cymbals and asking for your input

Joe61

Reaction score
I have been paying attention to time for setup and tear down the lase few gigs now. Trying to shorten the process. I have identified three areas of concern. Cymbal stands, cowbell and other related accessory's and adjusting the positions of those items prior to play. I am very happy with tom mounting as is. Quick and precise.

My idea is to eliminate the four cymbal stands and replace with a two section rack like the picture. Place a section across the front and then a section back along the right side supporting those cymbals. All of the cymbal mounts would never be moved. This rack has a hing point in the middle. In practice I would, with the cymbals removed, fold the rack at the half way point and carry to or from the trailer. The accessory items could hopefully find a home on the rack also.

What do you folks think?
Any input would be great.

Attachments

Ptrick

Reaction score
Racks are great for consistency and cleaning up floor space. I use one at home. For gigging, the drawback has always been setting and tearing them down, which can be tedious. If you are only partially breaking it down each night, and have the room to travel and store it like that, it sounds pretty ideal.

Joe61

Reaction score
Racks are great for consistency and cleaning up floor space. I use one at home. For gigging, the drawback has always been setting and tearing them down, which can be tedious. If you are only partially breaking it down each night, and have the room to travel and store it like that, it sounds pretty ideal.
Agree. I will only go down this road if I don't have to disassemble.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do your cymbal stands have memory locks? That's all I use with my kit and it makes set up / tear down a breeze. The cymbals are always in the same place / height.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i would have a couple of concerns.
1) you already mentioned bulk. So i might add is the bulkiness better than the few minutes of setup time? the rack will probably weigh as much as the stands and require a separate trip to the trailer. It will be cumbersome with the arms attached.
2) will the arms stay put during transport? Seems to me they will probably get knocked around a bit and require tweaking.
2) will you like the look of it in front of your classic set?
3) do you really need four cymbals? It looks like you have two rides (20”) and two 18” crashes. Maybe you could get away with one versatile ride and replace one crash with a smaller one you could fly off the tom stand? That might only require clamping and arm to the stand for setup.
4) racks offer consistency, as stated, but they also eliminate floor clutter. I would think putting the toms on there would be desirable if you decide to go that way.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a pair of Gibraltar stealth racks on the left & right sides of my kit. The cymbal holders are all tagged with colored electrical tape on the arm & receiver/tilter and memory locked. That way I can leave the vertical tubes (including tom holders for two rack toms) on the racks and remove the boom arms. The only hardware in my hardware case is the hihat stand, snare stand, throne base, floor tom legs & cymbal arms. Sets up & tears down pretty quick.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are using a trailer as I did some years ago; I mounted all drums and cymbals on the rack. Using a small rack with a wing on each side I mounted a 8, 10, 12, 13 toms and two cymbals with room for more cymbals. Also had a mount for cowbell and block. At the end of a gig after removing drums and cymbals I just folded the wings and carried the rack to the trailer and set it in the center of trailer. I pulled 5x8 trailer and rigged all other items (pa system, speakers, music stands, mic stands, etc.,etc.) to two wheel dollies then pull straped all dollies with equiptment to the walls, which left an open area in the center for the rack and never had to tie it down in any way, it just set there. I also did the same thing with my Hi-Hat...BUT...make sure you put it close to the front of the trailer. One night it was the last thing to load and like a dummy I put in next to the back door; the bouncing of the trailer broke the bass of the stand. If your rack has to be next to the back door make sure it's tied down.

My two floor toms were on legs, in your situation you could also mount them on the right side bar of the rack that you have pictured above. I wouldn't use both racks and stands, that's just more things to do and it will still look like a chrome forest.

I don't have a need for trailers at this time and I've gone back to stands. Racks are heavy but do tear down fast but I'm a lot older now, their just too much for me to handle plus I'm playing smaller kits now. With some ingenuity and research you can mount two toms on one cymbal boom stand and clamp boom and extra cymbal from it. The new light duty stands are out of the picture though, so don't go there.

sherm

Last edited:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My full rack setup with all arms is lighter then two 9000 double tom stands (it is even lighter then the Hex rack II).

So I went with a rack all the way.

So I went with a rack all the way.

The picture is from the designing process, where the vertical ride bar was ditched as it didn’t added anything but extra hassle.

Cut off all the extra tubing and it is now a sleek, floor clutter cutting, consistent work station.

Best thing I have could have done for any of my setups that require more then two cymbals and one tom.

I do have the horizontal bars as low as possible, this so they don’t sit in front of the beautiful shells of the drums. Something that regular stands do u fortunately.

Attachments

Last edited:

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find racks are great, but if your band is more of an opening than closing one, getting offstage between sets is a bit trickier

But for gear placement, they’re the best... I used to have a 7-cymbal setup and could get everything perfect in less than 10 minutes

Joe61

Reaction score
Do your cymbal stands have memory locks? That's all I use with my kit and it makes set up / tear down a breeze. The cymbals are always in the same place / height.
Yes all except one are memory lock and the height of the cymbals is always the same, no tweaking necessary. I find my self spending and inordinate amount of time moving stands to the stage, positioning and then tear down and packing up.
Thank you for the response.

Joe

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use the Pearl square tubed, double sided one, ICON I think its called . Very convenient to position cymbals, but pretty darned heavy to shlep around . I've been toying with the idea of replacing the six steel uprights with PVC and shortening the sides by @ 10" or so .

Joe61

Reaction score
Great input everyone. I will be continuing my research to see if this is the right move for me.

Thank you!
Joe

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I switched to a Gibraltar rack about 20 years ago, and have never regretted it. For any setup of more than four drums I've found the rack to be lighter, and that advantage grows as I add drums or cymbals.

The rack's main advantage to me is consistency of setup. Also, I break the whole thing down into two bags: one for tubing and one for tom and cymbal arms attached to clamps. Everything on the kit is memory locked, and it all comes together very quickly.

Latest posts