Considering a very small drum set and would like some advice.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been a bigger drums guy. My first kit had a 20" bass drum but everything else over the years has been mostly 22 to 24. I've been enjoying the heck out of my newer INDE 20-10-14 set, though. It plays much bigger than it is. I play rock and blues mostly, not necessarily in that order.

We're planning to turn our home office area into a small music room just for my wife and me to mess around with keyboards and drums for the fun of it. We're keeping our main music room in our basement where my bigger gear is, but this office area needs a much smaller and somewhat quieter set.

Wow, there are some interesting options out there, from cheap to expensive. I like cheap but I want excellent.

I want to stay within the 16" to 18" (prefer 16 if possible) diameter range with depth from 10" to 12". ish. I'm not in a big hurry. I can wait for the right set.

What concerns me most is that I don't know much about small drum sets in the 16" bass drum range. Advice would be appreciated.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 old American Singles. 8X12 16x16 and a 14 of some sort; 10x14/12x14/14x14..
Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll all be '68 Slingerlands in Lavender Satin Flame Pearl..
But you'd be getting three hardwood classic (tone) shell with 3 Old American Singles.
3 Rogers 3 Slingerlands 3 Ludwigs...Three G's..Three of anything good..
Build the Set.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having just gotten a bop sized kit with an 18” BD, I would never go smaller. That’s as small as I would go, especially if you play un mic’d. And if you go 16” or smaller, you will definitively need a lift to hit the middle of the head to get any kind of resonance.

I think the 20” is the best all around BD. Volume and resonance is perfect and is still easy to tow around IMHO.

MelvinJones

Reaction score
I play "tiny drums" in a novelty-type jazz/covers band that uses a 16" kick with a 6" tom and a 12" floor tom.

My 2 cents: With the right muffling and tuning that kick can get by on almost any gig (especially when it's mic'd) no lift needed, tbh.
Plus its tiny and easy to haul to the gig/rehearsal.

Check out reverie drums https://www.reveriedrums.com/ they aren't cheap, but they look excellent. Small too!

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play "tiny drums" in a novelty-type jazz/covers band that uses a 16" kick with a 6" tom and a 12" floor tom.

My 2 cents: With the right muffling and tuning that kick can get by on almost any gig (especially when it's mic'd) no lift needed, tbh.
Plus its tiny and easy to haul to the gig/rehearsal.

Check out reverie drums https://www.reveriedrums.com/ they aren't cheap, but they look excellent. Small too!
You muffle that BD?

I can’t picture that needing muffling, but hey, if it works, that’s cool.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having just gotten a bop sized kit with an 18” BD, I would never go smaller. That’s as small as I would go, especially if you play un mic’d. And if you go 16” or smaller, you will definitively need a lift to hit the middle of the head to get any kind of resonance.

I think the 20” is the best all around BD. Volume and resonance is perfect and is still easy to tow around IMHO.
So how ru liking the Pork Pies

MelvinJones

Reaction score
You muffle that BD?

I can’t picture that needing muffling, but hey, if it works, that’s cool.
Depending on the gig, yeah some felt strips on the batter. Sometimes we're wallpaper, or in a small room and we need to be quieter than we'd like, haha
Outdoor gigsor bigger rooms without mics, I take the felt off and let that sucker rip!

another_drummer

Reaction score
Just read your post in another thread. There should be a lot of Catalina club Jazz kits around for not too much money and they do sound decent. Just avoid the snares.

I play a pre 2004 GMS bob kit, 16/10/13, never had any problems being too quiet. Trouble with anything in odd/uncommon sizes (18 x 10 BD) something good is hard to find and often costly.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
3 old American Singles. 8X12 16x16 and a 14 of some sort; 10x14/12x14/14x14..
Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll all be '68 Slingerlands in Lavender Satin Flame Pearl..
But you'd be getting three hardwood classic (tone) shell with 3 Old American Singles.
3 Rogers 3 Slingerlands 3 Ludwigs...Three G's..Three of anything good..
Build the Set.
Not sure about the lavender satin flame, but I like the idea of finding some vintage singles. Maybe some sparkle jelly beanery could be an option. The only thing is I wouldn’t want a 16” deep bass drum, and a FT conversion would be the only way I can see to make that work.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want a 16” deep bass drum
So many guys have had their "length cut" (off a 16x16 FT/BD
So there's that
Too much trouble for me) but that's me
Plus can always restore to floor tom ahem standing if circumstance dictate) They never really do)
This 16X16 has been a bass drum--from the second day I got it. Tons of gigs with it.
Little money-maker.

gChopHouse010-1.jpg

gChopHouse010-1.jpg GretschSmallGretsch004.jpg JDAbabySet.jpg SunFrontRb.jpg

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how ru liking the Pork Pies
Ahh you remembered!

They are everything I hoped they would be, great tone, easy tuning and just beautiful shells and craftsmanship. Can’t say enough about them really. Getting used to the 18”BD has been a bit of a challenge, and I’m still playing with the tuning, but it’s in there and real close to where I want it.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want something just for your music room and you like cheap, try finding a used Ludwig Breakbeat or a Pearl Rhythm traveler or maybe even one of those SPL bop kits. I frankensteined together a little kit with a Pearl RT bass drum and a DW piccolo tom & Pearl flat timbale. It'll fit in a corner and sounds fine for quieter gigs and in the environment you're talking about.

2018-04-27-Romilos002.JPG

2018-04-27-Romilos003.JPG

Cpb282

Reaction score
If you don’t mind a hair smaller on the bass drum and don’t mind a jazz oriented set, check out the Canopus club kits. 12x15 BD, 7x10 tom, 12x13 floor tom. I’ve seen them used between $1k and $1.5k.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gotta play devil's advocate here...

I got a 22", a 20" and an 18", all sound great (all three are fairly deep).

I recently converted a 16x16 FT to a bass drum and have been working a LOT on the tuning (and I do know how to tune a bass drum). It sounds like crap no matter what kinda heads, muffling (or lack of muffling) etc... no OOOMPH, no life, all impact.
I will never buy a bass smaller than 18". Period.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a more involved conversion project, I had good succes with taking 3.5ish inches out of the centre of a 16x16 mahogany ft to keep the re-rings and lug holes intact. Used a 1" strip of the wood I took out to make a centre re-ring.
20200620_081400.jpg

Currently getting along nicely with my club date 12 and 14". Would love to do it properly with a ludwig shell and club date BD hardware, but thay is an expensive project that is a long way off. Focusing on sound for now.
20201101_100737_HDR.jpg

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the 12/14/18 Catalina bop kits... I just got one this very week, have only played on it for a couple brief sessions but I am very much impressed. Toms sound great and tuned up in a breeze... coated Vintage Emperor batters all around including the kick, with a felt strip. They impressed me.

E0FC446E-0505-4C2E-B249-66C1C16E5385.jpeg

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a 10-12-14-18 Faux "Premiere". Birch toms and mahogany converted 18 bd. Vintage Premier hardware and merlot wrap.

Premier 2.JPG Premier 4.JPG