Considering a very small drum set and would like some advice.

drumfishe

Reaction score
I've always been a bigger drums guy. My first kit had a 20" bass drum but everything else over the years has been mostly 22 to 24. I've been enjoying the heck out of my newer INDE 20-10-14 set, though. It plays much bigger than it is. I play rock and blues mostly, not necessarily in that order.

We're planning to turn our home office area into a small music room just for my wife and me to mess around with keyboards and drums for the fun of it. We're keeping our main music room in our basement where my bigger gear is, but this office area needs a much smaller and somewhat quieter set.

Wow, there are some interesting options out there, from cheap to expensive. I like cheap but I want excellent.

I want to stay within the 16" to 18" (prefer 16 if possible) diameter range with depth from 10" to 12". ish. I'm not in a big hurry. I can wait for the right set.

What concerns me most is that I don't know much about small drum sets in the 16" bass drum range. Advice would be appreciated.
A Canopus Club Kit will work. 15” bd, 10&13 Tom’s. Sounds much bigger....love mine! Good luck!!

Attachments

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Things I've learned so far that I wish:
I wish the Sonor Safari had a more shallow bass drum.
I wish the Sonor Martini had a wood snare drum.
I wish the Tama Club Jam had a deeper floor tom.
I wish the Tama Club Jam Flyer had a bigger diameter floor tom and came in more colors than just red.
I wish the Yamaha Stage Custom Hip had a little deeper floor tom without snares. (I know, that may be a little picky on my part)
I wish the Gretsch Catalina Jazz had a shallower bass drum (I still like it and I acknowledge that I'm wishing it were something it's not supposed to be)

I'm intending no negativity here. I'm saying I like every single one of the ones I've listed, but there's a compromise with each. I've got to either find the right compromise or wait for something else to show up that I'm not expecting.

By the way, the Gretsch Brooklyn Micro in WMP checks every one of my boxes, but with kitchen cabinets going in next week it's just not in the budget. I do think I'll be saving up for one of those in the future though, and maybe it's worth waiting for.

Tom Holder

Reaction score
I've always been a bigger drums guy. My first kit had a 20" bass drum but everything else over the years has been mostly 22 to 24. I've been enjoying the heck out of my newer INDE 20-10-14 set, though. It plays much bigger than it is. I play rock and blues mostly, not necessarily in that order.

We're planning to turn our home office area into a small music room just for my wife and me to mess around with keyboards and drums for the fun of it. We're keeping our main music room in our basement where my bigger gear is, but this office area needs a much smaller and somewhat quieter set.

Wow, there are some interesting options out there, from cheap to expensive. I like cheap but I want excellent.

I want to stay within the 16" to 18" (prefer 16 if possible) diameter range with depth from 10" to 12". ish. I'm not in a big hurry. I can wait for the right set.

What concerns me most is that I don't know much about small drum sets in the 16" bass drum range. Advice would be appreciated.
I totally agree with a previous post recommending not less than 18" BD. I often use a dinky kit for small rooms or rehearsal. This is the bass drum from an older, first gen Pearl Rhythm Traveler set. I bought it for $50 on eBay. It's 8x20". Only felt strips for muffling. Other than that, it's wide open and sounds pretty darn good. If I were to start over, I'd get a Sidekick or a Farmer 8x20" because they're 8-lug drums instead of 6, and the material and build quality is much better. But the Pearl RT is adequate.
20191117_025524.jpg

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Wow, that's perfect, and nice job on the hoops! Thanks for the pics - I think I'm now sold on going that route. I'll be on the lookout now for thin shell orphan toms.

BTW, did you rewrap or find matching drums?
I had them re-wrapped at Village Drum in RI. The kick was a 12x16 concert tom/tymp tom. 10” was also a concert tom. He also did the hoops. It has plenty of sound un-mic’d but in a bigger room you just need a kick mic. Very easy to transport also. I have a 19” Paiste Fo602 Med Ride that has a great bell and perfect crashability for a 1 cymbal set up. Good Luck, happy hunting.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love small kits. I made my first one from 4 of the 7 pieces of my Catalina Maple kit and then bought a used Cat Club Kit 18/14/12 in black marine pearl with matching snare. Then I bought a cherry burst Renown kit from a DFO guy and bought a new Renown 18" BD to create this beautiful 18/14/12 set up. This is the one! And then COVID 19 happned and I haven't been able to gig with it yet.

Cherry Burst Renown Kit.jpg

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Things I've learned so far that I wish:
I wish the Sonor Safari had a more shallow bass drum.
I wish the Sonor Martini had a wood snare drum.
I wish the Tama Club Jam had a deeper floor tom.
I wish the Tama Club Jam Flyer had a bigger diameter floor tom and came in more colors than just red.
I wish the Yamaha Stage Custom Hip had a little deeper floor tom without snares. (I know, that may be a little picky on my part)
I wish the Gretsch Catalina Jazz had a shallower bass drum (I still like it and I acknowledge that I'm wishing it were something it's not supposed to be)
I can identify with every single one of your points.

All I can add is:
I wish they made mini bass drums (14" - 16") available seperately and at an affordable price.
I wish they´d offer those kits without snare drums. Tama got really close with the Club Jam Mini but that snare ruins it for me.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

A few years back I was looking to downsize and after readings a lot of reviews I settled on the Sonor Safari kit - 14x5 snare, 10in mounted Tom, 14in floor Tom and 16in Kick. What attracted me to Sonor over other compact sets was the constant comments about the sound and quality of manufacture. Sonor used "selected hardwoods" which I'm guessing is Basswood. Their laminating process is a cross pattern - one verticle, one horizontal, one verticle. Whatever they did it gives a big sound to a compact kit. I've actually muted the kick with a felt strip and use a thin cut piece of hardware store bought floor matting on the Toms. The original heads were ok but as I play a lot of Jazz I went to Evans 56 Calftone batter heads on the snare and both Toms but stayed with a Remo Pinstripe on the Kick..not sure why I didn't go with a vintage head there but I liked the sharper sound and with muting it sounds great to me. A real bonus is the hardware. Even though this is a low priced kit, Sonor used their top line , h.d. chrome on the hoops, lugs and snare setup. The lugs feature Sonor's "stay where you set 'em" lugs, 8 to the snare, 6 on both Toms and...count 'em - 8, yes 8 on the 16in kick. Tuning is very easy and precise. The wrap is very high quality..mine is black sparkle and sparkle it does... I get a lot of compliments on the looks. Notice: this kit while small in size is h.d. construction and it "weighs" The kick is on the heavy side, almost if not as heavy, as the 20in kick on my former Yamaha medium price kit. The best thing was the price. I'm Canadian but wintered for years in Florida. The shell pack delivered to mt door there was $313.00 U.S. which was a steal. I'm not sure what Sonor kit replaces the Safari but I do see used Safari's for sale.
I'm been very happy since buying it in 2014. Take a look.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Smaller drums will want to speak in a higher note range.
With bass drums, you'll notice the drum has less head sustain, so you will tend to use a more open setup.
You'll also notice the feel tends to be a little bit more firm.
Its what I've noticed with the 18's I own.
Sometimes, there's a little adjustment to not having a deep thud or boom under your foot.
Some of us adjust almost immediately, some take a little longer, some never come around....none are wrong.
Past that, its a drumkit. Plain and simple.
If you're not gigging right now, you could take some of the toms off your big kit and assemble a small "trial kit", to see how you like playing with the smaller bass drum.
Good luck.

Elvis

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
...If you're not gigging right now, you could take some of the toms off your big kit and assemble a small "trial kit", to see how you like playing with the smaller bass drum.
Good luck.

Elvis
That's a great idea that I hadn't even thought about. It would answer some questions I've had about how much difference the diameter would make in my overall space-saving goal. I've got various drums ranging from 10" to 16" that I could work with. I don't have a riser but could improvise with something else enough to test 'em out. Thanks

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If I ever buy another kit it will be an Inde Wayfarer in Aluminum...
I've made no secret my love of INDe products. I've never played an aluminum set, but they do look interesting and cool. They're unfortunately out of my rather limited budget range for now.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea that I hadn't even thought about. It would answer some questions I've had about how much difference the diameter would make in my overall space-saving goal. I've got various drums ranging from 10" to 16" that I could work with. I don't have a riser but could improvise with something else enough to test 'em out. Thanks
You're welcome....btw, did you see the PM you recently received?

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made no secret my love of INDe products. I've never played an aluminum set, but they do look interesting and cool. They're unfortunately out of my rather limited budget range for now.
Out of my range right now as well .

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never played or heard a 16" or smaller bass drum. It scared me when I converted my 16x18 floor tom to bass but I love that drum. My only concern would be quality of a drum, if it has the capability of producing nice tone I'd say go for it.

sherm
I had a Player kit as well as the Safari. I donated the Player to my Grandaughters school band. it had better than stock heads and so sounded v.g. The band director was so pleased as it had a big sound for a small kit, much more that the Luan Yamaha kit they were using. The snare is same as my Safari and I had put better batter heads and 40 wire Puresound strands and sound was fine. Note Sonor calls their snare a 14 x 5 but they must have a different ruler than me because the shells are less than 5in on both drums. So sound wise the snares are very close to Piccolos.
The city band director who is a fine percussionist was very, very
pleased with the sound and Sonor build/quality and has thanked me more than once. Great product at affordable price. But, as i commented before, for a compact kit the drums are “weighty” because of their construction.