Considering a very small drum set and would like some advice.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But, as i commented before, for a compact kit the drums are “weighty” because of their construction.
Interesting -- for me, my Sonor Player is _much_ lighter than every other drum I've owned. The only thing that came close was a Ludwig Signet kit. But everything else has been significantly heavier -- the light weight is one of the reasons I like the Player kit.

What are you comparing yours to?

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The weight is a tell tale of what it's made of. The badge says select hardwood. If it's heavy it's basswood, if it's light it's poplar. Heard good things about the player. In Canada they had the Versagig

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting -- for me, my Sonor Player is _much_ lighter than every other drum I've owned. The only thing that came close was a Ludwig Signet kit. But everything else has been significantly heavier -- the light weight is one of the reasons I like the Player kit.

What are you comparing yours to?
My Previous Yamaha that had Luan Mahogany shells 20/12/14
The 10in Tom on the Player was heavier than the Yamaha 12in Tom. The 16in kick on my Safari is slightly heavier that the 20in Yamaha. What I’m saying and I’m sure I saw another remark in this thread about the weight of the Safari.The Sonor kits are Basswood which is significantly heavier than Luan and some Maples. Basswood is used a lot for low to medium cost sofa
furniture framing where I come from as it’s as dense and heavy as Oak but much cheaper.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Previous Yamaha that had Luan Mahogany shells 20/12/14
The 10in Tom on the Player was heavier than the Yamaha 12in Tom. The 16in kick on my Safari is slightly heavier that the 20in Yamaha. What I’m saying and I’m sure I saw another remark in this thread about the weight of the Safari.The Sonor kits are Basswood which is significantly heavier than Luan and some Maples. Basswood is used a lot for low to medium cost sofa
furniture framing where I come from as it’s as dense and heavy as Oak but much cheaper.
that lines up with what Frank was saying - I have a later model, which was poplar and super light. I love the sound though - the poplar makes these punch way above their size and price point.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have one so these kits! I even found a second floor Tom on eBay in the same finish and snatched it up. 16/10/14/14. I used it, mic’d up, a few times with a seven piece horn band in a strip-mall bar gig. The sound guy in the club loved that kit! It took some getting use to for me physically, being 6’ 1” tall. It was a heck of a difference adjusting from my other Sonor kits and my DW 24/12/14/16/18. But the “little Sonor” is a lot of fun and can get the job done.
I think folks that knock 16in kicks haven't played or heard the Sonor Safari. Heavy duty..8 lugs.. I use mine for Jazz, Soft Rock and yes Virginia...even Country. The only time I have to mike it is when I'm playing with some guys who don't understand band dynamics..IE; Guitar guys who love to crank the sound. I'm not an expert on drum shells but the Basswood that my kit is made of has great reasonance and punch. So I was using it open with a Vater Vintage Wool beater. I wanted a little more toneality so I swithed to a hard felt beater covered with a sport sock and installed a 6in wide felt strip in the batter head... Remo Pin Stripe and still lots of sound. In fact I have installed felt strip. As far as the Toms..10in and 14in I started with factory heads, went to Pinstripes and finally settled on Evans 56 Calftones. Unmuffled they are still big so on occasion I lay a 1/2 moon piece of thin rubber floor matting on the batter, cut to nestles into the rim. Granted I don't play heavy Rock but the Safari has lots of punch. For small venues I use the Safari snare...30 wire Puresound and Remo Diplomat Fiberskyn batter. For bigger venues I use my Mapex Brass Cat. But man those Safari drums can sing. And the hardware...cant believe Sonor put their top of the line on this bargain kit. It's every bit the equal of that on my Yamaha and that's among the greatest. And the wrap, both original Red and Balck sparkle is top drawer in thickness and finish. I'm a Sonor fan
N.B I note from pics that the Jungle kit appears to have much lighter, different style, somewhat lighter Bass spurs but I'm guess that as they are Sonor they'll be well made.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered:
The shallow 8x20 bass drum wins in this little room. Sizes are 20, 10, 13, 13. The FT has snares, which at first I wasn't a fan of, but after seeing some videos I'm starting to like it. I'll be replacing stock heads with a 20" Emad bass, Vintage Emps on toms, and Amb on snare.

I'm amazed that there are so many people who like small sizes. I honestly didn't expect so much response. I'll probably be putting together another set with a 16" bass drum over the next year if I can find some cheap vintage orphan toms that match. Thanks to all of you for the great ideas and encouragement.

Attachments

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered:
The shallow 8x20 bass drum wins in this little room. Sizes are 20, 10, 13, 13. The FT has snares, which at first I wasn't a fan of, but after seeing some videos I'm starting to like it. I'll be replacing stock heads with a 20" Emad bass, Vintage Emps on toms, and Amb on snare.

I'm amazed that there are so many people who like small sizes. I honestly didn't expect so much response. I'll probably be putting together another set with a 16" bass drum over the next year if I can find some cheap vintage orphan toms that match. Thanks to all of you for the great ideas and encouragement.

Didn’t know this kit existed. Looks cool. I’m sure if it’s Yamaha the quality will be there. What are shells made of ?

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t know this kit existed. Looks cool. I’m sure if it’s Yamaha the quality will be there. What are shells made of ?
Just looked at YouTube video. Unusual with snares everywhere.
I’m guessing you’ll like compact size and weight so much you end up “ taking them out on dates” !
A year ago I sold all my heavy chrome hardware and bought the
Aluminum Yamaha 4 piece Crosstown set. Comes in a carry bag and all in weighs just over 20lbs.
Groove on

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
They're all birch, and the set is basically a Stage Custom with shallow shells. It's called the "Stage Custom Hip".

And yes I expect the quality of everything to be excellent - I've been buying their stands for years, and I've never heard anything but good about their drums. I had a 20% off order coupon from GC so I got a good deal too. :)

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just looked at YouTube video. Unusual with snares everywhere.
I’m guessing you’ll like compact size and weight so much you end up “ taking them out on dates” !
A year ago I sold all my heavy chrome hardware and bought the
Aluminum Yamaha 4 piece Crosstown set. Comes in a carry bag and all in weighs just over 20lbs.
Groove on
Yes! I've got the crosstowns too, and I absolutely love them. I bought a longer stand bag that separates them and I can put them in at full length. I think the long bag weighs almost as much as the stands. lol

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're all birch, and the set is basically a Stage Custom with shallow shells. It's called the "Stage Custom Hip".

And yes I expect the quality of everything to be excellent - I've been buying their stands for years, and I've never heard anything but good about their drums. I had a 20% off order coupon from GC so I got a good deal too. :)
20% off is great. I had come to the conclusion that rather than put things on sale during Covid they stuck to full retail. I’m guessing that with so many musicians and average people sitting at home with time on their hands and no place to spend money, the music stores and on line sellers took advantage of the fact. I bought a new snare in May.. a Mapex Brass Cat from my usual Canadian supplier, and i was amazed it was $75 off retail. But when I was shopping for a new keyboard in August all retail stores and on line sites charged full retail.. no bargains. Amazon showed a package deal but couldn’t supply so when I presented same to dealers they said If Amazon can’t supply then they were under no obligation to price match. So, good on ya !

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20% off is great. I had come to the conclusion that rather than put things on sale during Covid they stuck to full retail. I’m guessing that with so many musicians and average people sitting at home with time on their hands and no place to spend money, the music stores and on line sellers took advantage of the fact. I bought a new snare in May.. a Mapex Brass Cat from my usual Canadian supplier, and i was amazed it was $75 off retail. But when I was shopping for a new keyboard in August all retail stores and on line sites charged full retail.. no bargains. Amazon showed a package deal but couldn’t supply so when I presented same to dealers they said If Amazon can’t supply then they were under no obligation to price match. So, good on ya !
I haven't seen as many coupons as usual this year, but recently I got an email from GC offering a one-time 20% off code because they haven't seen me in a while. Well it worked because I bought a new bag for my hardware.:-D
Today I noticed Woodwind Brasswind has a code for 20% off $99+ (BF20) with the usual brand restrictions, though I bet you could get more eligible products if you called.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't seen as many coupons as usual this year, but recently I got an email from GC offering a one-time 20% off code because they haven't seen me in a while. Well it worked because I bought a new bag for my hardware.:-D
Today I noticed Woodwind Brasswind has a code for 20% off $99+ (BF20) with the usual brand restrictions, though I bet you could get more eligible products if you called.
Yeah that's the same GC coupon I got. Yamaha was on the exclusions list, but when I called them I got the discount. The brand exclusions are usually just if you're buying online. Call 'em and get the discount.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
F2D, you’re gonna love that set. Just picked one up myself in the surf green finish. The second snare/floor tom adds a great deal of utility and the entire set sounds fantastic.

B8DBD941-3633-4FDB-A9FF-F425967D266A.jpeg

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
F2D, you’re gonna love that set. Just picked one up myself in the surf green finish. The second snare/floor tom adds a great deal of utility and the entire set sounds fantastic.

View attachment 471418
That's a super cool finish - it's what I almost went with. The only reason I didn't was that the natural finsh is the same as their other stage custom naturals. You never know - there might be the future possibility of finding other sizes to mix and match with it. I think the natural finish is much better looking in person than any pictures, and I'm betting the same is true with your surf green.

I just received mine yesterday and put them together with my preferrred heads. I jammed a few songs with my wife on keys after playing around with tuning, etc. I'm beyond impressed with the sound I'm getting from these shallow drums. I don't mean they "sound good for shallow drums" or "good for the money" - I mean they Sound Good. Very good. Even the snare drum sounds and plays great, which I wasn't really expecting.

We should really start a new thread reviewing the Yamaha Hip set and some similar offerings by other brands as well. I didn't know anything about them until I started this thread and started googling. These shallow sets check off a lot of the boxes I was looking for this time around, and I can see how they could fit the bill for a lot of different scenarios.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The lack of being able to add on to the surf green set was definitely a consideration, but ultimately the finish (it’s really more tiffany/robin’s egg blue) drew me in like an anglerfish. I got this specifically to work my duo gigs or where space was truly an issue. As you can see, I don’t use the mounted tom or hi-hats.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The lack of being able to add on to the surf green set was definitely a consideration, but ultimately the finish (it’s really more tiffany/robin’s egg blue) drew me in like an anglerfish. I got this specifically to work my duo gigs or where space was truly an issue. As you can see, I don’t use the mounted tom or hi-hats.
Understood - it's a beautiful color especially with those natural hoops! I would love to get to see that finish somewhere in person sometime.

I like the way you've got that cymbal boom mounted in the bass drum. It looks like it's meant to be, and having no stand legs sticking out means the world when you're trying to save space. I need my mounted tom and didn't want a stand for the ride, so I mounted a Gibraltar cymbal arm to the bass drum. I already had it in my drum parts, and the mount is round like the spur bases so it looks almost stock. I'll post a picture once the sun is out and the light is better in the room.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently picked up this used Tama Stagestar set to keep set up in my drum room at the house. The sizes are 10/12/14/18 and it came with a 13x5 steel snare that sounds really good. Gave just a little over $200 (shipped) for the whole set and they sound great. That little bass drum is a monster. Gotta get those stickers off that front head though. Lol

stagestar1.jpg