Considering Cymbal Pack K Sweet Zildjian

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cracked my all time favorite cymbal this past weekend. Well, I say I cracked it.. I have a suspicion it was damaged in our band trailer which is my fault completely. Here’s a tip.. kinda embarrassed to even admit this but… Put your precious and expensive investment in a HARD CASE.. I had them in a cheap bag in our trailer and the bag took a tumble.

Anyways, I have never bought a brand new set of cymbals (or a brand new cymbal period). I like the bigger sizes. 15” hats, 17+ crashes, 21+ rides.. I come across the K Sweet just scrolling through online shops. I want to give my local store a shot but the prices are just way higher locally. I’m at a place where I might be able to spend a little more than in the past. I’ve usually wheeled and dealed or bought used just due to the extreme price of quality cymbals. My band plays a wide variety and my Istanbul Agop Sultans have been awesome and fit surprisingly well with our sound. In the past I’ve been a die hard Zildjian guy owning some K and A custom stuff. I’ve been surprised with some of the Paiste stuff I’ve heard but have never owned any. I’ve had some Sabian stuff too but have had issues with cracks, I’m not a light player but far from a basher.

We play some classic rock, 80’s rock, country (modern and classic), etc so I need something that covers a wide range. What can ya recommend?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
K sweet pack would serve well I’m sure. Otherwise, can pick up some nice used Zildjians. So many options, and some depends on budget. If you’re going with current made, I’d suggest new beats and I like 15s. Some type of ride 20 - 22 sized. Medium weight range is a safe bet. At least one crash. 18 inch is pretty common there. Many of the run of the mill cymbals from the standard K series work well. Don’t sleep on vintage A Zildjians from the 60s or 70s…they can be great too.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get the used options which is what I’ve done in the past. I have never experienced the feeling of buying cymbals brand new, is it even worth it? Based on a cost standpoint I’d probably say no but there seems to be magic in knowing you have owned them from the start.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To address the OPs post, I, too, have been looking at that cymbal pack. I for sure don't need another cymbal pack but I've heard so much good about them. Versatile, not the most expensive pack but by far not the cheapest. I'm not even gigging enough to justify it at this point in time but still, I believe that'll be my next cymbal purchase.

If you get them please let me know what you think.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to try a lightly used, several years old K Sweet cymbal "set" recently (17,19,21). While they were nice and all, I didn't feel they really added anything to my kit that the
1950's A's didn't already bring. If I had no K's or older A's......those new sweet K's would have been a nice set to own.

The 19" crash/ride in that set was really nice. The 17 and 21 didn't perform as well imo. I sort of felt that the unlathed bells shrunk the tonal range of the cymbals too much....making them a bit more
1 dimensional towards the mid-frequencies. Or maybe I was accepting other people's comments I had read about these???

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m sort of in your boat. In my entire life I’ve only bought two brand new pristine cymbals.

I see boxed sets as similar to decorating a room in one’s home all at once. I am more at piece by piece guy.

But that’s me. If brand new is a scratch that must be itched— a bucket list scratch—a set of K Sweets…that could be a path worth strolling, and I’d like to think by buying as a set Zildjian put some time into which ones go where.

Having heard a recording of your band and your playing, and the personal experience I’ve had tinking around Sweets in shops, I can see them fitting in nicely, and, while different, perhaps not too far from your Agops.

If you really, really need something of a different flavor from your Turkish, go Swiss.

But beware: The Rabbithole.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m sort of in your boat. In my entire life I’ve only bought two brand new pristine cymbals.

I see boxed sets as similar to decorating a room in one’s home all at once. I am more at piece by piece guy.

But that’s me. If brand new is a scratch that must be itched— a bucket list scratch—a set of K Sweets…that could be a path worth strolling, and I’d like to think by buying as a set Zildjian put some time into which ones go where.

Having heard a recording of your band and your playing, and the personal experience I’ve had tinking around Sweets in shops, I can see them fitting in nicely, and, while different, perhaps not too far from your Agops.

If you really, really need something of a different flavor from your Turkish, go Swiss.

But beware: The Rabbithole.
You hit on a part I’ve put a lot of thought into. I think by going local I could build a set and actually play a part in matching the sounds. Issue is, seems to be quite steep in price difference that way. Also, some of the packs will include a “free” cymbal.

One of the things I love about shopping online is the, what I call, “Christmas morning” feeling. After a long day at work I always look forward to getting home and seeing the package by my front door.

What is this rabbit hole you speak of ‍.. Worth noting I’ve had major G.A.S lately. I’m also looking at drum kits too.. Hopefully I’m still married after this process

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I get the used options which is what I’ve done in the past. I have never experienced the feeling of buying cymbals brand new, is it even worth it? Based on a cost standpoint I’d probably say no but there seems to be magic in knowing you have owned them from the start.
Generally not worth buying new. I have bought some new, but mostly used is the best way to go.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I had to buy new, I'd buy a once used "demo pack" from a major distributor or retailer. The ones that I got were indistinguishable from new.
Those are usually price discounted 20% or so. And can still come with a warranty in many cases.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
The advantage of buying new would be going to a large retailer like Memphis drum shop and being able to try a wide variety of the same model and picking the perfect one. If you don’t have that situation and are buying blind, not worth it.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Gospel Zildjy pack fall in my lap some time ago, and i have yet to open the box. Dont need them but if i keep them sealed for years they may bring a few bucks...or maybe not.
Make sure you are sold on the series in a pack before you buy them. Pretty hard to return one cymbal you might not like from the pack, but you cant really go wrong with Zildjian..good luck.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had really good luck hunting cymbals online through Memphis Drum Shop's video demo process. They were demo-ing a bunch of K sweet sets that I listened to front to back, all of them, and many other cymbal models and brands while I was at it.

From that trip down the rabbit hole, I emerged into the sunlight with a K sweet set (21, 19, 17, 15) and a pair of Istanbul Agop 15" Xist Power hi hats (which don't fit the usual "power metal only" vibe at all... not even close really).

I don't think there's a way to go wrong with K sweet. Maybe if you're playing doom metal (which you're not) and have no experience or ear for buying cymbals, they wouldn't be the right choice... but that's what I mean. They'll work for almost anything under the sun.

I'm repeating myself from another recent thread but the ride in particular is a gem, blending into the band with a controllable wash and definition higher up toward the bell (which is also excellent) better than any cymbal I've pointed a stick at.

Last edited:

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had to buy new, I'd buy a once used "demo pack" from a major distributor or retailer. The ones that I got were indistinguishable from new.
Those are usually price discounted 20% or so. And can still come with a warranty in many cases.
Does anyone still do that? I used to see a lot of stuff from Interstate Music, but they folded.

They did clinics, and supplied a lot of stuff for the big music festival Summerfest.

Most of it looked like new still, and they were offered at a good discount.

Oh - about the boxed sets. I've bought a couple new ones - K Custom Dark, and an A Sweet set.
No real complaints about any of the included cymbals.
The fast crashes in the A set that I got are what I think crash cymbals should sound like.
I think the set comes with medium thin crashes now - I can't comment on those.
New Beats - kind of goes without saying. I like the KCD hats almost as much, and the KCD ride is great.
Not so hot on the KDC crashes, but they sound like what you would think they would.

Have a 21 K Sweet ride too. I would have no qualms about getting a boxed set of those.

Last edited:

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OP. A couple years ago I helped my brother pick out some Sweets on-line from Memphis Drum. To make it more manageable $ wise, it was spread out over a couple months. Well, just this afternoon I received those very cymbals from him. No question, of the wisest cymbal purchases I’ve every made!!
21” Ride, 17” Crash, 14” Hats

Phil

Attachments

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OP. A couple years ago I helped my brother pick out some Sweets on-line from Memphis Drum. To make it more manageable $ wise, it was spread out over a couple months. Well, just this afternoon I received those very cymbals from him. No question, of the wisest cymbal purchases I’ve every made!!
21” Ride, 17” Crash, 14” Hats

Phil
Thanks, those look great!!

Core Creek

Reaction score
Generally not worth buying new. I have bought some new, but mostly used is the best way to go.
I recently bought my first “set” of cymbals - HHX complex - and compared to the best prices I could find used, it was a better deal to buy the set new. An 18” crash used was at best $220 or so. Considering hi hats and rides are usually more ($275 each) my 14, 16, 18, 20 set would have cost about $975 used - not including shipping. I got them new with free shipping for less than that. The only issue was I wasn’t originally interested in a 16”, but they are voiced so well together and I’m glad I got it.

Something to note - on reverb the sets I got are listed at around $1200, with an occasional ”deal” around $1000, but I got two separate offers even lower than that on reverb and made a lower counter offer on one that was accepted. It seems sets are pricey and I doubt the high end ones sell often - dealers are happy to work out a deal.

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Unless you're set on K sweets, DCP has a great deal on a "K"ollosal cymbal set containing a complete set up of K lights.
I have this set plus an extra 20" K dark crash. Love them!!!

Reaction score
I cracked my all time favorite cymbal this past weekend. Well, I say I cracked it.. I have a suspicion it was damaged in our band trailer which is my fault completely. Here’s a tip.. kinda embarrassed to even admit this but… Put your precious and expensive investment in a HARD CASE.. I had them in a cheap bag in our trailer and the bag took a tumble.

Anyways, I have never bought a brand new set of cymbals (or a brand new cymbal period). I like the bigger sizes. 15” hats, 17+ crashes, 21+ rides.. I come across the K Sweet just scrolling through online shops. I want to give my local store a shot but the prices are just way higher locally. I’m at a place where I might be able to spend a little more than in the past. I’ve usually wheeled and dealed or bought used just due to the extreme price of quality cymbals. My band plays a wide variety and my Istanbul Agop Sultans have been awesome and fit surprisingly well with our sound. In the past I’ve been a die hard Zildjian guy owning some K and A custom stuff. I’ve been surprised with some of the Paiste stuff I’ve heard but have never owned any. I’ve had some Sabian stuff too but have had issues with cracks, I’m not a light player but far from a basher.

We play some classic rock, 80’s rock, country (modern and classic), etc so I need something that covers a wide range. What can ya recommend?
I recently purchased Zildjian K's. I bought Hats, two crashes, a ride, a splash, and a China. $1700 as they were all demo's from various stores across the USA compared to $2500 for brand new. Look on Reverb and select the best deals!

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy a cymbal or cymbal pack without either trying it in person or only if the on line dealer had good sound files. It’s frustrating with the number of local shops having closed in the past year. Rainbow Guitars closed in Tucson and there went the cymbal vault. We’re going to our daughters in Indiana Thanksgiving and I’ll do a cymbal run to Steve Maxwells in Chicago.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy a cymbal or cymbal pack without either trying it in person or only if the on line dealer had good sound files. It’s frustrating with the number of local shops having closed in the past year. Rainbow Guitars closed in Tucson and there went the cymbal vault. We’re going to our daughters in Indiana Thanksgiving and I’ll do a cymbal run to Steve Maxwells in Chicago.
I’m with you. I’ve gotten away from supporting local and feel somewhat part of the problem. That said, the stores around here are just not people focused anymore. I can deal with the price difference but it’s a hassle to try stuff sometimes. If you’re not in the “click” you can forget about good service. With some online retailers offering a return policy it’s hard to go wrong there.