Considering my first 'professional' kit but wanted to ask a few opinions first...

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, after playing drums for 3 years solely on my Yamaha Rydeen 22 12 14 kit (a beginner kit), I've been looking around for drums in big sizes (24 to 26 BD, 14, 16, 18 toms) to better suit my music (Led Zep, Big band swing, Black Sabbath etc.) Yesterday I found and played a used Sakae trilogy kit, in green sparkle which is great for Bonzo vibes, in sizes 24, 12, 18. It's going for roughly half the price it'd be new (£1200 vs £3000) and I'm really close to pulling the trigger. Has anyone had any experience with the Sakae trilogy line? Any issues or praises?
I'm also unsure because it's only a 12'' tom tom, not a 13 or 14 but do you guys think that's a big enough issue to pass on the kit? Or would the inch or two difference have a smaller effect than I'm afraid of?
I loved the sound of it and the shell construction is a major pro (3 ply maple poplar maple with re-rings) as I'm going for vintage, loud, open sounds but I'd definitely feel a lot more certain if it was 24 13/14 18. Does it really matter or should I go for it? Thanks

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that is a pretty big spread on paper, and I probably wouldn't buy it without hearing it, but since you played it, how did it sound in real life?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that obtaining additional on drums for a Sakae Trilogy Kit will be near impossible . Korg has taken over Sakae and the Japanese made kits look to be discontinued with production moving to China .

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Well, that is a pretty big spread on paper, and I probably wouldn't buy it without hearing it, but since you played it, how did it sound in real life?
It did sound great, especially loved the kick, but I've never played another kit like it so I can't compare it to anything

harry.evanz

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that obtaining additional on drums for a Sakae Trilogy Kit will be near impossible . Korg has taken over Sakae and the Japanese made kits look to be discontinued with production moving to China .
I was thinking about just buying a 16 FT and a 13/14 TT from any brand but with the same shell and refinishing the whole kit in gold sparkle later on with re-lugging if possible. I can't see the mismatch of brands having a massive impact when it's the same shell.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I was thinking about just buying a 16 FT and a 13/14 TT from any brand but with the same shell and refinishing the whole kit in gold sparkle later on with re-lugging if possible. I can't see the mismatch of brands having a massive impact when it's the same shell.
I personally wouldn't do this. Rewrapping and -lugging has its costs even if you're planning to do it by yourself. I would go for a complete kit ready to play.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do this. Rewrapping and -lugging has its costs even if you're planning to do it by yourself. I would go for a complete kit ready to play.
Yeah, listen to this. Don't do it. Go price out lugs and wrap, and you'll see that you can't make it work economically. Even if you could, those drums won't ever completely "fit in" with the others.

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Yeah, listen to this. Don't do it. Go price out lugs and wrap, and you'll see that you can't make it work economically. Even if you could, those drums won't ever completely "fit in" with the others.
If I didn't rewrap or relug what would be the verdict?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would offer $800. Will these drums fit into your car?
I'd say, if you can, go back and play them and if you still feel really good about this kit, buy it. But if the doubts remain about the configuration, then better to pass.

But in any case, talk him down, like MrYikes said, because of the somewhat odd size issue. Use that to your advantage.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I didn't rewrap or relug what would be the verdict?
You won't be happy with it in the long run.

I take it you're in the UK. I don't know about the used drum supply is over there, but at least here, there are too many kits for sale to not wait a bit to get exactly what you're looking for.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Since you like that Bonham vibe, have you considered a Ludwig Zepp set?
I know your in the UK but here is an example from a store here in the US:
I was looking at them for a long time but I can't try out a set anywhere near me and from the demo's on YouTube (some of them unprocessed and not mic'd) they seem very boxy and average. The review I read on Music Radar (https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/drums/ludwig-centennial-drum-kit-170269) also noted the lack of sustain so I'll pass

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Hmm thanks for the suggestions but i only really wanna play a one up two down kit

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was looking at them for a long time but I can't try out a set anywhere near me and from the demo's on YouTube (some of them unprocessed and not mic'd) they seem very boxy and average. The review I read on Music Radar (https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/drums/ludwig-centennial-drum-kit-170269) also noted the lack of sustain so I'll pass
So try looking for other Ludwig's like Classic Maple's if you want that Bonham vibe. Can't go wrong with those! The Sakae's look and sound nice and I hear great things about them but the issue is "as mentioned before", that they are no longer made. It's fine if you get what you want and don't care about future expansion but if later on you decide to add pieces, then you're out of luck. You'll have an issue finding parts as well. Honestly though, the price that they are selling them to you for is really good. If I liked something and they would be priced cheap like that, I'd buy it. If you like the sound, look and finish and you aren't worried about expansion, buy them! At least you know that those Sakae's are super well built so they should make you happy for a long time.
Good luck, LRod

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hey everyone, after playing drums for 3 years solely on my Yamaha Rydeen 22 12 14 kit (a beginner kit), I've been looking around for drums in big sizes (24 to 26 BD, 14, 16, 18 toms) to better suit my music (Led Zep, Big band swing, Black Sabbath etc.) Yesterday I found and played a used Sakae trilogy kit, in green sparkle which is great for Bonzo vibes, in sizes 24, 12, 18. It's going for roughly half the price it'd be new (£1200 vs £3000) and I'm really close to pulling the trigger. Has anyone had any experience with the Sakae trilogy line? Any issues or praises?
I'm also unsure because it's only a 12'' tom tom, not a 13 or 14 but do you guys think that's a big enough issue to pass on the kit? Or would the inch or two difference have a smaller effect than I'm afraid of?
I loved the sound of it and the shell construction is a major pro (3 ply maple poplar maple with re-rings) as I'm going for vintage, loud, open sounds but I'd definitely feel a lot more certain if it was 24 13/14 18. Does it really matter or should I go for it? Thanks
Trilogy was probably the most successful series Sakae made.
Reinforced thin 3-ply shells. Maple/Poplar, I believe. Rounded edges.
Sound very "American Vintage", maybe even a little better than most of the originals.
If you think you can live with 24/12/18, go for it.
They were fantastic drums....and if you ever feel the spread between 12 and 18 is too much, you can still find Sakae Trilogy drums on the used market to fill in the void.

Elvis
P.S. I don't know if you can find them in your neck of the woods, but if you feel unsure about the Sakae set due to availability of additional drums, a similar shell is the Ludwig Legacy. A modern rendering of their famous 3-ply shell.
Available in Maple or Mahogany, these drums are in current production and also sound absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

harry.evanz

Reaction score
Trilogy was probably the most successful series Sakae made.
Reinforced thin 3-ply shells. Maple/Poplar, I believe. Rounded edges.
Sound very "American Vintage", maybe even a little better than most of the originals.
If you think you can live with 24/12/18, go for it.
They were fantastic drums....and if you ever feel the spread between 12 and 18 is too much, you can still find Sakae Trilogy drums on the used market to fill in the void.

Elvis
P.S. I don't know if you can find them in your neck of the woods, but if you feel unsure about the Sakae set due to availability of additional drums, a similar shell is the Ludwig Legacy. A modern rendering of their famous 3-ply shell.
Available in Maple or Mahogany, these drums are in current production and also sound absolutely fantastic.
I'd absolutely love a Ludwig Legacy but there are none on the used market and they're WAY too expensive new. my budget is <£1500