Consignment drum shops

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These shops typically tell you what you what you want to hear before they scoop your gear. When you decide to let the "experts" sell your gear, the let down begins. The sob story about the weak market, the exchange rate,,,delivery charges and added taxes, handling, advertising, which according to them is "justified"....You just lost a lot of money fellow drummer, and all you had to do was read the fine print, if they show it to you....These predators are worth AVOIDING....deal with a PRO DRUM SHOP, WITH PROS THERE, NOT ASSEMBLERS and who sell new gear like normal

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Or post some good pix and a price +shipping in various brand/instrument/used gear/regional FB drum fora. You'll be more likely to find someone interested in specific brands there.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did have a bad experience, but I actually expected it due to the nature of these operations, but that's ok. Yes they take a hefty slice of your money for sure, but its the sneaky things I cant stand. These guys are in business and are competing now with internet sales that were not a factor years ago.
I know a drummer who had been lied to and misled in a big way, and I wasn't there to help him because he felt it was "his problem"
If you send your gear a long way away to one of these shops, the ball is in their court now. If you live close enough to visit the store, that gives you the edge when the games begin because they cant lie about something damaged they claim that you did not disclose.
I don't want to start something here, but thanks for letting me vent.
Spend your hard earned drum money with someone who actually cares about your business.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a local shop that does consignment. I've sold three kits, a conga setup and a mess of cymbals through them with good results. I give them a high and a low price when I drop off the gear, they do the rest. They take 25% off the top. It's a far better deal than the 50% that I'd loose by selling outright to Guitar Center or Music Go Round. Currently I have one kit and two snare drums on consignment.

I used to flip a lot of gear on Craigslist. I no longer have the patience or energy to do that.

For me consignment, at least through this shop that I trust works for me.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I did have a bad experience, but I actually expected it due to the nature of these operations, but that's ok. Yes they take a hefty slice of your money for sure, but its the sneaky things I cant stand. These guys are in business and are competing now with internet sales that were not a factor years ago.
I know a drummer who had been lied to and misled in a big way, and I wasn't there to help him because he felt it was "his problem"
If you send your gear a long way away to one of these shops, the ball is in their court now. If you live close enough to visit the store, that gives you the edge when the games begin because they cant lie about something damaged they claim that you did not disclose.
I don't want to start something here, but thanks for letting me vent.
Spend your hard earned drum money with someone who actually cares about your business.
"These operations" sounds like one particular long time seller.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I hear ya Wayne ... I'll not get tangled up in previously undisclosed consignment shell game fees again .

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have a shop that works for you that's great, deal with the same person when you can. Personally, I,ll never deal with them again, but that's ok because im retired and have everything I could possibly need. Our industry is far to small to accommodate liars and con artists.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. Can someone give a specific example one of these outfits? Not a practice I have come across, aside from one decent shop I know of that takes in items on consignment in a non-predatory way (as far as I am aware).

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It really is not that difficult to put a kit, snare , cymbals or other Geer on one of the many e- Sites to sell your gear . I am surprised the brick and mortar shops still get as much gear on consignment as they do these days .