Contact cement drip inside shell… worth trying to remove?

DD

Reaction score
A shell I’m considering suffered previous owner drip of some contact cement inside… I guess during past rewrap attempt gone bad. It’s a Gretsch RB so globed onto the silver sealer paint. Think it’d be worth trying to remove? Or would that just make things worse? Curious if anyone has tried such and had any luck?

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Acetone will remove old contact cement, we used to use it all the time when I was working in a cabinet shop with a lot of laminates, but will probably remove silver sealer as well. Thin areas I would probably leave well enough alone. Thicker globs you can probably warm up with a hairdryer or very carefully with a heat gun on low and roll up off the shell with the edge of an old credit card or similar as long as your careful not to gouge the wood

A_T_P

Reaction score
+1 with jptrickster and 1988…you get too deep and you risk removing the original paint. I’d personally just leave it. It’s on the inside, probably doesn’t affect the sound, why bother?

Reactions: DD

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d try gently warming that big glob on top with a hairdryer (not hot enough to burn you or the glue) and try rolling it towards the rest of the glue with my finger. The straight lines of glue almost look more like tape residue that might not be all that strongly adhered to the shell. If you have any success there then I would consider doing anything to the rest

If its completely hard to the touch, do nothing unless you want to just take the high spots down with fine sandpaper. If its at all gummy/tacky feeling you might get it to roll off the shell. If it really bothers you, try a little naptha (zippo/ronson lighter fluid) on a rag and see if it removes the silver sealer under whatever the biggest washer in the shell. If it doesn’t remove the sealer, it would likely remove any still tacky glue with enough time and gentle rubbing.

On the other hand, unless this is for a Charlie tribute kit, who runs clear heads on vintage gretsch?

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks a little off center, but any chance that shell is missing its paper tag? That could explain the two parallel lines of glue

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
good grief! just be glad they're not Kent's with glue everywhere!
play 'em as is, it's inside the shell, never to be seen by anyone but you...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When it comes to restoring vintage drums, I have as much OCD as anyone here! But, as many have said, this is one issue I would just leave alone and enjoy that "great Gretsch sound"!!

-Mark

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don’t have shell in hand. But here’s pic from seller:
The shell has patched holes and been re-drilled…plus it looks like one set of the holes has been elongated, so it ain’t original anymore. Coated heads and you’re done. Play the mess out of it.

Reactions: DD