Contemporary drum solos have changed... but I can't put my thumb on it

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
The drum solo here by Lenny Reece (beginning around 3:00) is great. Lots of interesting ideas. To me, this video is more proof that the solos of younger drummers have evolved beyond the convention of my generation. It's different, but I'm not quite sure exactly how.
  • nothing swung?
  • not many triplets
  • drums played more as individual instruments and less as an ensemble?
Thoughts?

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Different style of music results in a different style of drum solo. Just as the rock drum solos of the 1960s weren't like the bebop solos of the 1950s which weren't like the big band solos of the 1930s and 1940s etc. And be thankful for that. Sure would be boring if things didn't change.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
" Get off my lawn " Ha...

It's a certain style that produces a certain drum solo. I'll admit it's creeping into a lot of other genres but jazz drummers are generally playing jazz influenced solos and rock drummers the same..

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
Different style of music results in a different style of drum solo. Just as the rock drum solos of the 1960s weren't like the bebop solos of the 1950s which weren't like the big band solos of the 1930s and 1940s etc. And be thankful for that. Sure would be boring if things didn't change.
Right. I'm just attempting to analyze how this solo is rhythmically different from say ....one from 25 years ago.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You play what you hear, and even the least innovative young drummer today grew up hearing sounds that didn't exist before she was born. That said, my personal belief is that we are in a new golden age of jazz ("jazz") drumming.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've noticed that they're less structured than they used to be. They used to go someplace - they had a beginning, a middle and an end, Now they just seem to circle around a central theme for a given number of measures. Peter Erskine and Dave Weckl were the first ones I noticed doing it, then all the others seemed to fall into place behind them. Just my take.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny I came across this video the other day surfing, I couldn't watch it. The drummer sounds like he's playing a different song, I get playing "in the cracks" but to me this one is too much

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a solo but it's more a Ride. An interlude.
More like a "Dance Interlude'.

Two; if you are playing off the harmonics of the tune; then that tune (seems to be) two chords that alternate; So in the drum interlude you're holding that harmonic pattern. It's a dance solo or something. Adhere's strictly to the form of the song.

Now his little blips and blings are intense; but he's holding that groove; he's walking the walk of the tune.

It's an interlude solo.
I don't think I heard a bridge in the form. It's just a 2 chord walk

Last edited:

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
That's a solo but it's more a Ride. An interlude.
More like a "Dance Interlude'.

Two; if you are playing off the harmonics of the tune; then that tune (seems to be) two chords that alternate; So in the drum interlude you're holding that harmonic pattern. It's a dance solo or something. Adhere's strictly to the form of the song.

Now his little blips and blings are intense; but he's holding that groove; he's walking the walk of the tune.

It's an interlude solo.
I don't think I heard a bridge in the form. It's just a 2 chord walk
Interesting take ... thank you

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here the Jazzevolution -from the John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman form

the jazz solo (" ha
All I know is "these guys" are playing like "their lives depended" on it.
Like Elvin like Coltrane Like Ornette Like Max.

and they're the Vanguard of today
tips of the spear - both videos- in their respective genre's.

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Drum solos now remind me of guitar players in the 80's Hair Metal days; shred-fests. Lottsa BPM's.

As James Brown said "Talking Loud and Sayin' Nothing"

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't see it as saying nothing I see it as I want to know what they're doing.
And I hear some intense marching band in there; accent-cross-rhythms , lots of seeming 7s 9s 11s or just 64ths played blazingly; and I like to to see/hear/ how it's 'fit in' without interrupting ' a flow' (when it should'_ So there's some quick polyrhythms going by fast- and I think that's interesting- to shave a little of it off- and utilize- when you feel it- in your own playing.
It's an extension of Elvin&Tony..transition in phone terms from land-line wall dial up to digital iphone (or..modem implant..).
there's charm in the old dial up but nothing wrong incorporating the latest transmissions.
I think both these guys (and their bandmates) would respect what came before them. I'm certain of it.
They are just living and playing in- playing to- a different - next level- data flow.
amazingly still two sticks and four limbs.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drum solos now remind me of guitar players in the 80's Hair Metal days; shred-fests. Lottsa BPM's.

As James Brown said "Talking Loud and Sayin' Nothing"
- That depends on the soloists and the tune they play over. Some folks just play the drum set; other play from the music. Those are the guys I check out. Marcus Gilmore, Chris Dave, Justin Tyson, Ari Hoenig, Zach Danziger, Mark Giuiliana, Dana Hawkins, Greg Clarke, Dan Hawkins, Dennis, Ralph Peterson, Tain - are all great musicians who play the instrument at a high level. I'm sure I've missed some folks - mea culpa.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I find the song the style the drum sound and the player nothing but damm boring.
Best part of the vid is the Z vault, pies everywhere lv it lol

I’m doing just fine in my perfect music world of yesteryear.
There’s still so much good stuff I haven’t even explored yet, don’t need any of this new crap

Now get off my lawn.com !

cozy4ever

Reaction score
As a hard rocker I am no expert in this style, but what I think I am hearing here is a heavy influence of "gospel chops" and stomp/drumline/marching stuff, more so than jazz or rock. It's not my thing, but it takes some serious technical skills to pull off these kinds of beats, so I have a lot of respect for these players!

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a modern R&B solo, with very modern production. Nothing really different, style-wise. I hear a damn good drummer.
What can I learn from him?

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
As a hard rocker I am no expert in this style, but what I think I am hearing here is a heavy influence of "gospel chops" and stomp/drumline/marching stuff, more so than jazz or rock. It's not my thing, but it takes some serious technical skills to pull off these kinds of beats, so I have a lot of respect for these players!
+1 on this. Not denying the skill needed just the not into the end result.

Latest posts