Contemporary examples of “tonal” drum sound

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Going off of Ron’s recent NAMM perspective thread, I’d love to get some recent examples of recordings featuring a “tonal” drum sound. To be clear, I mean bass drums with a sustained note, not just “click” and sub-bass. Toms that are far away from the sound commonly associated with pinstripe heads and just-above-wrinkle tuning. Snares that breathe, not a Big Fat Snare sound.

Nothing wrong with the stuff I’m using as a contrast, of course, I just find it easier to come across those sounds.

Any examples come to mind?

Last edited:

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look up anything by Dafnis Prieto, Freckle Legend, Jeff Williams, etc. Bernie Dresel's new record has it, too.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look up anything by Dafnis Prieto, Freckle Legend, Jeff Williams, etc. Bernie Dresel's new record has it, too.
The Prieto stuff I found was definitely nice and organic. It made me realize that a “tonal” sound to me requires minimal and distant mics. The Freckle Legend album I found (The Long Walk Home) was rather punchy and fat, not quite what I was thinking.

This stuff is all very subjective!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
what's contemporary, time wise - 2 years 5 years ...?

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stanton Moore, Carter McLean instantly come to mind.
I’ve enjoyed Carter’s video demos, but wow, his Ghost Bridge album is awesome! Wonderful drum sounds, along with everything else. Who knew he was a great singer, too?!

Stanton’s “With You In Mind” is a great example of the “tonal” drum sound. Helps that he has a killer feel!

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

This is what a bass drum should sound like to me. Even though it's got a pretty low note here, it's still got a note. Nice open sound. But Mark will change how he plays the bass drum to get different sounds. Usually getting the beater off the head, but sometimes burying it.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
From my personal viewpoint "Tonal" drum sounds don't mean squat unless they're accompanying good music or a good song. Personally, I like how the drums & music mesh together wonderfully in this clip. Old American drums (Leedy? RK?) mic'd simply and reverberating off a wood floor. Probably more "retro" than what you're looking for.
To me this is warm & tonal and it feels good.

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Patrick Keeler has some great open drum sounds with the Raconteurs. Consoler of the Lonely is a great tune and his snare is wide open.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listen to some Spyro Gyra. Lee Pearson's Toms sing beautifully with a pretty well defined pitch, which is what I think you're talking about.
Sorry I'm too lazy to search out examples and post or link.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lee gets a great sound and plays his butt off.

That said, check out the toms, especially the smaller ones, here:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Real tone in the bass drum means complete front head to me. I don't hear that a lot with "in your face" drum sounds. More ambient, distant sound, yes.
There are many productions with huge bass drum sounds, using all kinds of things to beef up the sound, but if the drum is portedit'll never have the same round quality. Sometimes sinus tones are added after the fact. I think you get this using internal mic'ing with complete heads, but it doesn't offer the flexibiloty needed in the studio most of the time.

boomtat2.0

Reaction score
Gavin Harrison....check out Sonor youtube promo of the Prolites...listen to the toms with the snares off...pure tone....

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From my personal viewpoint "Tonal" drum sounds don't mean squat unless they're accompanying good music or a good song. Personally, I like how the drums & music mesh together wonderfully in this clip. Old American drums (Leedy? RK?) mic'd simply and reverberating off a wood floor. Probably more "retro" than what you're looking for.
To me this is warm & tonal and it feels good.

I keep coming back to this. Man what a great sound!

Latest posts