converted Vintage nickelodeon 7"x22" bass drum,anyone ever use

rock roll

Reaction score
I bought a Vintage nickelodeon 7"x22" wood bass drum a couple years ago figuring the old wood would sound better...it really booms in a quiet room But I have yet to try it out live.

It's very light.
I'm not sure wether to put another head on the other side. I would have to add some lugs which I have in parts bin.
Maybe I'll start a new thread and see what others think.
I play some small clubs , very little room , so I'm always looking to go smaller on the bass drum, as long as it still sounds good of course.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is very cool! Perfect for a small acoustic gig. There are a number of companies selling those for that type of application. In fact, I just ordered an 8x20 for an acoustic low volume project.

I wish I would have found an original like yours!

rock roll

Reaction score
That is very cool! Perfect for a small acoustic gig. There are a number of companies selling those for that type of application. In fact, I just ordered an 8x20 for an acoustic low volume project.

I wish I would have found an original like yours!
I've seen a lot of the thinner "pancake" ones for sale but they cost a lot. They look great tho.
I've got a couple stencil sets that I might thin a bass drum on. If this doesn't work well enough. I am going to try it out next month at a acoustic mostly gig. I will update this thread then as to how it worked in gig setting.
I don't think I'm going to find a back wood rim for it since its 21 1/2" round. That would help it resonate better. I tried a spare 22" on it and no go, too big.
Congrats on ordering yours , that will fit nicely in the middle age crises corvette. Lol. Whenever you reach that age.that is.
Post a pic when you get it.
Thx, Jeff

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will have the 8x20 and to try out next week. I should add, it is a two head version. I was looking for a little more than a suitcase bass drum sound, but for that type of application. My drums keep shrinking in purportion to my advancing age.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Nickelodeon! Like, Spongebob?! Where's the green slime??

Killer drum. I'd do coated Emp on batter and smooth Amb on reso, felt strips front and back.

cplueard

Reaction score
I bought a Vintage nickelodeon 7"x22" wood bass drum a couple years ago figuring the old wood would sound better...it really booms in a quiet room But I have yet to try it out live.

It's very light.
I'm not sure wether to put another head on the other side. I would have to add some lugs which I have in parts bin.
Maybe I'll start a new thread and see what others think.
I play some small clubs , very little room , so I'm always looking to go smaller on the bass drum, as long as it still sounds good of course.
Why add lugs? They look double-sided in the picture. Just need a hoop, tension rods, and a head.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one of those that somebody costum built. Mine has both heads and it's powerful like that. Add the other head, by all means.

rock roll

Reaction score
I have one of those that somebody costum built. Mine has both heads and it's powerful like that. Add the other head, by all means.
. I have a spare 22" hoop but it's too big.
I didn't try it with a head maybe that's why it was so loose, I'll have to try it to make sure. I assumed since it was old that it would have a weird size, we'll see.

I would like to have the 2nd head for more resonance.

Last edited:

rock roll

Reaction score
Nickelodeon! Like, Spongebob?! Where's the green slime??

Killer drum. I'd do coated Emp on batter and smooth Amb on reso, felt strips front and back.
The guy I bought it from didn't know how old it was...he just said it was from an old nickelodian.
Thx for the head suggestions,
Jeff

rock roll

Reaction score
I will have the 8x20 and to try out next week. I should add, it is a two head version. I was looking for a little more than a suitcase bass drum sound, but for that type of application. My drums keep shrinking in purportion to my advancing age.
How did your new thin bass drum do?