Convince Me I'm Wrong -- REM's "It's the End of the World" Obviously Inspired "We Didn't Start the Fire."

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's obvious Billy Joel owes all the REM guys a sandwich for chanting about a bunch of historical events in "We Didn't Start the Fire" less than two years after REM had an indie radio hit with "It's the End of the World (and I Feel Fine)."

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's obvious Billy Joel owes all the REM guys a sandwich for chanting about a bunch of historical events in "We Didn't Start the Fire" less than two years after REM had an indie radio hit with "It's the End of the World (and I Feel Fine)."
You seem to believe that REM sort of originated "The List" lyric - or at least, that their application of "The List" approach to "historical events" is profound enough for them to deserve a nod of the head for any and every future use, no matter how cursory the similarities might be.

You're of course welcome to your opinion. I would say it was at all obvious as far as the degree of appropriation you are suggesting. Heck the form and cadence of Joel's verse's are more similar to "My Favorite Things" as the REM song.

And even if it is as you say.... so? We work and create in a derivative art form. Everything bit of musical creation is built in part on something that happen before it.

I think I get your point - but I can't imagine why you or anyone else would care.... it's really a big... so what? IMO

Oops - forgot to link the article..

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You seem to believe that REM sort of originated "The List" lyric - or at least, that their application of "The List" approach to "historical events" is profound enough for them to deserve a nod of the head for any and every future use, no matter how cursory the similarities might be.

You're of course welcome to your opinion. I would say it was at all obvious as far as the degree of appropriation you are suggesting. Heck the form and cadence of Joel's verse's are more similar to "My Favorite Things" as the REM song.

And even if it is as you say.... so? We work and create in a derivative art form. Everything bit of musical creation is built in part on something that happen before it.

I think I get your point - but I can't imagine why you or anyone else would care.... it's really a big... so what? IMO

Oops - forgot to link the article..

And there were about five songs in the article that I like so much better, if not more.