Cool Gretsch backline kit

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
"that 20" Zildjian Earth Ride"

I've been feeling Dat Big Kick Love the last few weeks, too.
"Clarity" and "punch" are y'know.... nice, and all. But sometimes you just want to have the kicker box in the trunk of a clapped-out old hoopty attached to your right foot.

I have a 3-ply Ludwig 26" set up in the music room right now, and a 26" SSB Gretsch shell on the bench in the lah-bore-a-tory. Good times.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
24-inch Gretsch USA bass drums are all awesome, irrespective of the year they were built.
That square badge indicates those shells are 80s or 90s.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
24-inch Gretsch USA bass drums are all awesome, irrespective of the year they were built.
That square badge indicates those shells are 80s or 90s.
Th is the truth. My Broadkaster 24 is the best sounding bass drum I've owned. Even better then my 40's rocket lug 24.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man. I'm a sucker for big bass drums. That sounds awesome.
Never played a 24" Gretsch.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cooper...............

I'm gigging a 1977 vintage USA SSB 14X24 (THE classic size, IMO)..............batter is Aquarian SK10.
I've had numerous soundmen over the years ask me after we play a set.............."What is that bass drum?"

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cooper...............

I'm gigging a 1977 vintage USA SSB 14X24 (THE classic size, IMO)..............batter is Aquarian SK10.
I've had numerous soundmen over the years ask me after we play a set.............."What is that bass drum?"
Nice man. How did you settle on the SK10?

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice man. How did you settle on the SK10?
I was going through heads (I have a heavy foot)................using a new Tama Speed Cobra double pedal.
So I was trying different batter heads -- the SK10 was the most durable and I liked the thump that came with it.
I replaced the Tama "hammers" with traditional medium-firm Yamaha felt beaters and now all is well.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love this era Gretsch! I've been looking for a 14x24 to match my 12,13,16,22 SSB for a while now. I definitely got the large kick bug...I just acquired a '66 Ludwig 10x26 to go with my Champagne Kit. Boooom!