Cool message from Alan White on FB

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Just read this.

“Forty eight years ago today I played my first public performance with YES at The Memorial Coliseum in Dallas, Texas. (The first three shows of that tour were cancelled due to my only having joined the day before and needed time to learn all the songs). Feels like YESterday!!

I was a bundle of nerves but somehow I got through it and it got better from then on.

Who’d have thought I’d be sitting in this same place so many years later?

It’s been my pleasure and an honor to occupy the YES drum throne and I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the many incarnations of this band throughout the years.

Many thanks go out to my band mates and the many dedicated fans for all their support.

Onward and upward!”

Sincerely,
Alan
July 30th, 2020

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just read this.

“Forty eight years ago today I played my first public performance with YES at The Memorial Coliseum in Dallas, Texas. (The first three shows of that tour were cancelled due to my only having joined the day before and needed time to learn all the songs). Feels like YESterday!!

I was a bundle of nerves but somehow I got through it and it got better from then on.

It’s been my pleasure and an honor to occupy the YES drum throne and I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the many incarnations of this band throughout the years.

Many thanks go out to my band mates and the many dedicated fans for all their support.

Onward and upward!”

Sincerely,
Alan
July 30th, 2020
- Wow! I was there.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Met Alan once years ago. Very nice and took the time to answer my thousand question. Signed my 90125 tour program.
One of my early influence.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was not blown away at the time; none of us knew it was the first gig, with 24 hours prep time. I was really hoping to see Bill; it was more as if Bonham or Ringo had been called to play in Yes. That said, there was a lot of detailed music to cover - and while many of the nuances I hoped to hear were not there, I didn't hear any flubs. They started and ended together, the hits were there, the pocket was there; to come in like that on short notice and nail it - he certainly gets my respect.

Reaction score
I met Mr White very briefly in '98 as my band opened 2 festival dates for Yes and The Allan Parsons Project. We were just snotty local kids back then and I was litteraly floored to be fortunate enough to meet such legends. I had the opportunity to shake mr White's and mr Squier's hands on the first night.

On the second night, my brother's guitar amp started go on-off-on-off during our last song's crescendo. Back in the dressing room he had his panties all up in a bunch so he plugged the amp right there, cranked it up to 10 struck a few furious chords and kicked the head in rage. It was so damn LOUD I had to leave the room. Just outside I run into Steve Howe and Jon Anderson who i hadn't met yet, they were investigating the source of the commotion, both quite horrified by all the noise comming from our dressing room. It was very obviously ruinning their pre-show zen moment. So I tried to mumble an explanation, an apology and an introduction all at once while being equally ashamed and amazed.

And that, folks, is how NOT to meet your heroes...

Anywho, congrats and happy 48th "Yesversary" to Alan White.

ludwigjim

Reaction score
Just read this.

Onward and upward!”

Sincerely,
Alan
July 30th, 2020
Alan, do you remember hanging with me and Chuck HEUCK at the Modern Drummer FestI around 20 or so years ago? You had bu5 your KAT machine in my truck and I took off to go home with it still in there?
The three of us had a very nice evening as I recall.
Congrats Alan on 48 wonderful years Sir.
Jim Ogle

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
alan white is somewhat local to me these days. sometimes he hangs out at donn bennett's drum shop. one time several years ago YES had some new music coming out with some long songs and we got into a discussion about how much music you could fit on the side of an album before the sound was compromised. then we got into 8 track tapes and songs fading mid tune so the track could switch. old school fun with a true pro. at the first woodstick event i loaded his glass drums into the back of his car in just packing blankets. i was nervous, but that's how he rolls.

and by the way, how many YES songs from the early albums could most of us learn in 3 days. yikes!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I never met him and I never saw YES live during those legendary days, but I sure do respect him. I did get to finally see him play with YES just a few years ago in Boone, NC. He wasn't able to play on all the songs so he had a fill-in drummer (a very good one) to give him some breaks. He was still great though. It was awesome to finally see him live behind the set, and he still nailed the music. It may well have been my favorite concert to date. My son who was 19 at the time tells me it's his favorite concert ever.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Huge influence. Fortunate to see him on the 90125 and Big Generator tours at the Worcester Centrum back in the day. Seems like a super nice dude as well.