Cool Trick With iPhone SLO MO video setting.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was taking video yesterday of my snare to post on FB to show someone the sensitivity of the instrument and accidentally recorded it in the SLO-MO setting. When I played it back, it was the coolest damn thing. Then I figured out how to edit it to make the slow-mo as long or as short as I wanted too.

Then if occurred to me that this would be a great tool to analyze and work on buzz rolls and doubles. I'll have to try this playing the kit.

Edit: DFO wont post up short vid clips...I'll instagram link it later

http://instagr.am/p/B8yrKzPnwE_/

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's very cool! I need to study my iphone settings and see if it's available. Thanks for posting your experience.

GeeDeeEmm

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You should have it. I have an iPhone 8 plus. When you turn the camera on, just use the Slow Motion selection. It's between Time Lapse and Video. It records video at normal speed (but likely a higher frame rate) and when you play it back the first 2 seconds and the last 2 seconds are played back at normal speed, but everything in between is slow motion. However, you can change the duration of the slow motion part by adjusting the slow motion slider that shows up under the video in Edit mode.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Awesome accidental idea! It’s like the mirror thing but so much more analyze-able. I can definitely use this to improve my buzz roll. I’m struggling to get that super smooth white noise effect with zero pulsing. This could be the tool! Thanks man.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome accidental idea! It’s like the mirror thing but so much more analyze-able. I can definitely use this to improve my buzz roll. I’m struggling to get that super smooth white noise effect with zero pulsing. This could be the tool! Thanks man.
Me too. I am constantly working on my Art Blakey "Press Roll of Death" He places them whereever and whenever he feels like and they are always perfect.