Coolest drummer you ever met?

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I recently saw the Aristocrats and met Marco Minneman. What a beast and a really nice guy. I met Dom Famularo a couple times. Dom was a great guy and was very inspiring. Billy Cobham. Tommy Aldridge. My favorite though was Louie Bellson. I got his autograph one time and the second time he gave me a pair of sticks from his seat throne-Mike Balter 5A nylon tips.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Barrett Deems. Or if you mean nicest, that would be Bellson, and more recently Blade.

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
First one that comes to mind is the late Bruce Gary.

Bruce was a dear friend and an absolute prince of a man. He introduced me to many others in the industry.

Easygoing, likable, and most of all....loyal.
He's greatly missed.

Attachments

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Terry Clarke. And once I got to talk on the phone to Jim Keltner. Lenny White was pretty damn cool, too. Bernard Purdie, as well.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For myself, without a doubt, I'd have to go with Roy Burns! A great drummer AND a cool guy to talk to! I took some drum lessons from Roy. Here's the picture, taken by a photographer for Modern Drummer Magazine, showing us both with checkbooks in our shirt pockets! How geeky was that?!!! Decades later, I took that picture to Aquarian Drums where Roy autographed it and we talked at his desk for 20 minutes. Roy was just a real pleasure to talk to!

-Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pat Mastelotto. I've met him a number of times when his band Stick Men come through town. He is always very generous with his time. One time I got my picture taken with him and as he was signing a CD for me, I asked him about one of his projects. He started chatting about it for a good 5 minutes which was great for me, but not perhaps for those waiting behind me!

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stanton Moore, Todd Sucherman, Jim Riley, and Marvin Smitty Smith.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Out of all of them that I've met, and I've met so many, I'd have to say Jim Fox. What a real nice and friendly guy. Also, the only "famous" drummer I've ever met.

My girlfriend is good friends with his wife, so I've met him several times. They've been over several times and we've been to their place a few times. Great people!

Last edited:

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Purdie, just because I bought his book at a clinic, chatted about Hummingbird for a couple of minutes.
The coolest drummer I've met was playing in a bowling alley in Eldorado Kansas. A Wurlitzer piano instead of a floor tom, heads as old as hell. country band. But this guy could play piano and drums , great dynamics and sang with a whiskey and smoke soaked voice any blues player would envy. A tasteful player on drums or keys, the guy was a car salesman, he sure got my respect.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I met Jeff Hamilton at a clinic last year. He was great playing and very nice speaking with every one who wanted to talk after the clinic. Saw him at a show a couple days later. Really a nice down to earth guy.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Elvin Jones. He signed a cd for my wife and I (our wedding song on there) and gave us a nice big sweaty hug. The following year(s) saw him a few more times- and he remembered us and always gave a hug.

Adam Nussbaum is also one of the coolest people you could ever meet.

Mike B