Coolest drummer you ever met?

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, met a ton of super cool drummers and nobody here would know their names...just working musicians that were travelling or personal friends.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a lot of name guys too. Top 3...
I think my teacher Mr Jim Blackley was the deepest and the coolest.
Also had the absolute pleasure of hanging with Louie for a day. He was a true gem. Will never forget it and will always be grateful.
Then there was Elvin, sweaty hug and all.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
The most memorable famous drummers I have met were: Buddy Rich in 1976, Phil Collins in 1977 and Carmine Appice in 1969 and again in 2010. The coolest person was Carmine but Buddy was super cool to me as well. Phil was very intense and more uncool to me as I probably caught him off-gaurd.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've worked with quite a few "famous" names ... had the pleasure of sharing some very nice evenings with some heroes ...

But I've not met the coolest drummer yet ... that would be @Bandit. I am biting at the bit to fly up there and play my way through his barn.
Thanks buddy! Just let me know when you are coming?

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found a couple of chances to talk to Tomas Haake in the early 00's. When I asked him how he was able to play such complex parts, he told me that he will zone out, perhaps staring at a wingnut on his kit or something in the back of the room, and let his body do all of the thinking. He said he didn't count at all while playing. It was not what I expected to hear at that time but I understand now.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I meet him daily, every time I look in the mirror!

Just kidding of course! I'm barely serviceable as a drummer. Just ask my guitarist!

Reaction score
Like a few others here, I have had the absolute pleasure (and great luck) to have worked with many of today's and yesterday's greats while I was writing for Modern Drummer, and Percussive Notes. Believe it or not, it's actually more than I can often remember sometimes.

It is heartening to see that most here have had such wonderful experiences with fellow drummers who happen to be well known inside "our world." Through this work, I have also had some great interactions with "rock stars," and have found most of them to be wonderful as well.

Most of the drummers (whose names we all know) are really good guys and charitable with their time. They all know the grind of "first in, last out," and the drag of schlepping gear through kitchens, and loading up your gear while dripping wet with sweat.

I have had similar experiences with many guys that have already been mentioned, while others have invited me into their professional (and personal) lives. Some have even become good friends.

One thing I often tell people about is if you have had a "bad experience." Please consider the context of the meeting. If it's after a gig, is there a long trip waiting to get to the next town? Are they fresh off of a long drive and gig and need to get some sleep? Is there a club owner waiting to pay them (or maybe give them a hard time about getting paid?) Are they being forced to deal with bandmates "issues?" Are they trying to sell merch (which these days, many musicians depend on?) Are they in an airport ('nuff said!) Are there a countless amount of "selfie waiters" hanging around?

Many of us can relate to these (and other) conditions. So if you didn't receive that BIG Elvin hug from someone, and got a casual or fleeting hello instead, PLEASE consider the context. There is never an excuse for rudeness, but often there are other "factors at play."

I love hearing all these positive stories about our hard working heroes.
Keep 'em coming!
MSG

davidh

Reaction score
I met Art Blakey one Sunday afternoon in London in the 1980s, he was wearing a beautiful very expensive-looking overcoat, I said "good afternoon, sir".
A very dignified old man.

davidh

Reaction score
I also met Philly Jo Jones in Alkmaar in Holland in 1969 when he was doing a TV recording at a nightclub. He played amazingly but was very stoned and fell off the drum stool at one point, and was very friendly and talkative... he landed a kick on the oyster Premier drums and said "these are f...ing sh.. drums.." - so much for endorsements!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I found a couple of chances to talk to Tomas Haake in the early 00's. When I asked him how he was able to play such complex parts, he told me that he will zone out, perhaps staring at a wingnut on his kit or something in the back of the room, and let his body do all of the thinking. He said he didn't count at all while playing. It was not what I expected to hear at that time but I understand now.
I caught a Haake drum stick! He's a beast.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Stephen Perkins. The Jane's Addiction drummer did a clinic in my small town as a favor to a friend who runs the community college's music production music program. Anyway, there may have been 100 people there. Perkins played a bit, talked about his background and described how he developed his singular style.

When it was over, he took time to speak with every person who stayed after -- taking pictures and just being a good dude.

Drm1979

Reaction score
None of you have probably heard of Mark Kramer. He was the drummer for the band pain. Coming up in my band back when I was 19-21around 1999-2001 my band would open for pain all the time and we all became fast friends. Mark not only was a phenomenal drummer but was also a drum instructor at the university he worked at in Tuscaloosa which is where pain was from. We really thought that if any of the bands we played with were going to go somewhere it would have been pain. They were just so unique in their sound. But mark always took the time anytime we were on the same bill to talk drums and a few times he showed me some cool stuff from his lesson plan from his job. Especially about linear drumming which he was really exceptional at. Pain disbanded in 2001 and they reunited last year under the name salvo in case any of you wanna check them out.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I met Gavin Harrison at his drum clinic a few years back. I asked him what he thought of RUSH. He said "I don't listen to RUSH". :(

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I met Gavin Harrison at his drum clinic a few years back. I asked him what he thought of RUSH. He said "I don't listen to RUSH". :(
My local music store regularly has big name players in for clinics. The staff said GH was the most snobbiest and closed off of any drummer they had.

On the other side of the spectrum, I've met MANY famous drummers and all have been cool in one way or the other. Gregg Bisonette stands out as someone who was really warm and friendly.

Todd Suchermann's coolness and down-to-earthness is well known.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's always surprising, even though it shouldn't be, when someone we admire doesn't turn out to be a jerk. And when they are a genuinely good person, it's a really impactful experience. I think most famous drummers get this. Too bad all celebrities don't.