Coolest drummer you ever met?

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m shocked to hear bad things about Clem Burke, spent an evening partying with him at a music festival in Chicago. Had a ton of laughs!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I talked to Mike Portnoy on Twitter for a few seconds before he blocked me. We didn't agree politically. :)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I talked to Mike Portnoy on Twitter for a few seconds before he blocked me. We didn't agree politically. :)
AWESOME!!!
That has happened more than once with me.
One of my favorite songwriters went off on a very particular subject rant (that will not be disclosed here) ... that was the last we spoke.
He is one of the most important living songwriters ... and he and I disagree on a particular point such that he is unable to get over that wall so we can have future conversations.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read things about him, over the years, that he can be kind of cantankerous.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it’s tough to pick, but Andy Newmark and Greg Morrow.

Andy is great- super honest and had a blast talking to him last year. I email him occasionally and he’s always quick with an answer and freely gives advice when asked.

Greg is also super cool. Great drummer and couldn’t be a nicer human being.

Both of these cats are role models for sure

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
I met John Fishman of Phish before a Jazz Mandolin Project show in Pontiac MI. Super down to earth guy. Really talented drummer too.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most drummers I've met have been friendly and patient (especially when I was a youngster with loads of questions). Since the majority of them are Swedish you probably wouldn't recognize their names, but Per Lindvall (ABBA plus most Scandinavian and a whole bunch of international artists) has been very friendly.
Meeting Carmine Appice was a great experience! I had heard that he could be "special" but he was really nice and friendly.
Butch Miles - great drummer and a very friendly one!

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ed Thigpen (just a sweetheart) and Glenn Kotche both come to mind.
Back in 2000 I had a chance to meet Elvin Jones at the Toronto Jazz Fest, and he was as warm and humble and engaging as you could possibly ask for after playing an intense 2.5 hour show. He signed a head for me too.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dean Castronovo. Meet him after a clinic at my local GC at the time. Really nice guy starting out in his career at the time. He has had his ups and downs but good to see him playing again and moving forward.. :thumbup:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
One of my very best friends was a friend of Ginger Baker's while Ginger was living in the USA (all through the 1990s). While living in southern California during early 1992, Ginger had several drum students and invited them all to a barbecue one afternoon at his home, where Ginger would perform several unaccompanied drum solos. My friend got Ginger's permission for me to join them that day and record his playing (with the caveat that I not make copies, an agreement which I continue to honor).

Although Ginger was definitely rusty (he never touched the drums unless he was being paid to play, which is what made this such a unique gesture toward his students), by the end of the afternoon he had shaken off the rust and was playing things that had my head spinning. He definitely still had it.

After all the students had gone, my friend and I stayed for several hours, talking with Ginger and his then-wife Karen, playing games, listening to music, and through it all, Ginger was in great spirits, laughing and joking; making me feel quite welcome there. It was a day I'll treasure, and I'm eternally grateful to my friend for his thoughtfulness and to Ginger for his warm hospitality.

And of course, I have a souvenir of the occasion:

hsosdrum-and-GB-01_92.jpg

Maninblack

Reaction score
Dave Mattacks and Bruce Rowland, both of Fairport Convention and between them many other bands including Jethro Tull, Paul McCartney, Joan Armatrading, Joe Cocker.

Both absolute gentlemen.