Coolest drummer you ever met?

Santos

Reaction score
Coolest drummers I met was when I working part time at a drum store not too far from Ronnie Scotts jazz club.

Billy Cobham was super chilled, as was Abe Laboriel Jr. Both those guys were friendly and easy to chat with.
Otherwise, the percussionist Jody Linscott (The Who, David Gilmour, Stevie Wonder etc) was really sweet.
Also met Paul Cook from the Sex Pistols who was really polite!

Others I met were Mick Avory from The Kinks, Don Powell from Slade, Nicko McBrain, Patrick Carney from the Black Keys, Will Champion (Coldplay), Sean Moore (Manic Street Preachers), Jeremy Stacey (Sheryl Crow, Noel Gallagher etc), Ralph Salmins (Paul McCartney, Aretha, LSO etc) Philip Selway (Radiohead)... there was always somebody coming into the shop who we would recognise and they were almost always super nice.

The only drummer I remember as being straight up unfriendly was Clem Burke but in all fairness it was 10:00am on a Saturday morning and he was probably just jetlagged or something. Blackest hair ever though!

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m shocked to hear bad things about Clem Burke, spent an evening partying with him at a music festival in Chicago. Had a ton of laughs!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I talked to Mike Portnoy on Twitter for a few seconds before he blocked me. We didn't agree politically. :)

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I talked to Mike Portnoy on Twitter for a few seconds before he blocked me. We didn't agree politically. :)
AWESOME!!!
That has happened more than once with me.
One of my favorite songwriters went off on a very particular subject rant (that will not be disclosed here) ... that was the last we spoke.
He is one of the most important living songwriters ... and he and I disagree on a particular point such that he is unable to get over that wall so we can have future conversations.

REF

Reaction score
I've read things about him, over the years, that he can be kind of cantankerous.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it’s tough to pick, but Andy Newmark and Greg Morrow.

Andy is great- super honest and had a blast talking to him last year. I email him occasionally and he’s always quick with an answer and freely gives advice when asked.

Greg is also super cool. Great drummer and couldn’t be a nicer human being.

Both of these cats are role models for sure

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
I met John Fishman of Phish before a Jazz Mandolin Project show in Pontiac MI. Super down to earth guy. Really talented drummer too.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most drummers I've met have been friendly and patient (especially when I was a youngster with loads of questions). Since the majority of them are Swedish you probably wouldn't recognize their names, but Per Lindvall (ABBA plus most Scandinavian and a whole bunch of international artists) has been very friendly.
Meeting Carmine Appice was a great experience! I had heard that he could be "special" but he was really nice and friendly.
Butch Miles - great drummer and a very friendly one!

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ed Thigpen (just a sweetheart) and Glenn Kotche both come to mind.
Back in 2000 I had a chance to meet Elvin Jones at the Toronto Jazz Fest, and he was as warm and humble and engaging as you could possibly ask for after playing an intense 2.5 hour show. He signed a head for me too.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dean Castronovo. Meet him after a clinic at my local GC at the time. Really nice guy starting out in his career at the time. He has had his ups and downs but good to see him playing again and moving forward.. :thumbup:

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Coolest Famous Drummers I have met are :
Bun E Carlos - a truly gracious human being , a dry wit and very kind

Danny Seraphine - my personal hero - very kind and makes you feel like you are the most important person in the room when he talks to you .

Denny Seiwell - has the pleasure of sitting down to breakfast with him at the last Chicago Show . Told me dozens of the greatest stories and was so funny .

coolest Non Famous Drummers ai have met are DFO Members
Eyedrum
Treviso1
CSR
DrumKat
TroyH
Lperdomo13
WFLKurt
Drums2112
BBunks

all have become great friends and some I correspond with daily .