Coolest drummer you ever met?

markkarj

Reaction score
Definitely Dom Famularo. He was doing a clinic at a college in Victoria BC in 1995... we talked about Quebec separatism.

I remember he did his sound check but there was a nearby lecture going on. The instructor marched in and yelled, "How long do you intend to keep doing that?!?!?"

Dom replied with a smile, "Well hopefully for the rest of my life."

Although I didn't get any one-on-one discussion time, I'll also add Todd Sucherman. An amazing musician with a humble, down to earth approach.

D

Drummer1990

20200227_224643.jpg

Shannon Boone ex Puddle of Mudd Drummer now plays for 90s band FUEL

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rich Redmond is a great dude. I recently reached out to him for suggestions on cymbals and he let me know what he plays, which helped me decide on a new set up that I just ordered.

Wideglyd

Reaction score
I was living in the Bay Area for a few years in the early 90s. My wife (at the time) worked in the computer industry and her sales person (Linda) took us to a little jazz club just outside San Francisco one night. She knew I was a drummer and to my surprise David Garibaldi was playing with a trio at this club. It turns out that Linda and David dated years back and still remained close friends. Linda and my wife planned this outing to surprise me. I was absolutely awestruck and completely tongue tied the entire evening. He was just a great guy. Super down to earth, funny and zero ego. Wish I had been more comfortable.

Fat_asian

Reaction score
I met some drummer outside of the music store. We were both waiting to get in. He had a drumsticks necklace. I can't remember his name or anything like that but I promptly bought a sabian cymbal neckase because of his influence.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First let me say it's a privilege to follow up a post by Fat Asian, I mean we must be birds of a feather! By the way, welcome aboard FA, were glad your here!

As for the coolest drummer I ever meet... that is hard to pick just one. Through my previous life I had the opportunity of meeting and working with hundreds of well known players and almost all of them were nice. I can remember a few that were a little stand offish but even they were not rude.

But thinking back through my memory, honorable mention would go to Joe Smyth of Sawyer Brow and a personal favorite, Tris Imboden (at that time with Kenny Loggins). But if I had to pick THE COOLEST for myself, it would be Derek Pellicci from the Little River Band. I had the opportunity to have dinner with him in the last week of his last tour in the states with LRB and we sat for hours and talked like we had been life long friends.

But even as I am writing this, I feel bad for leaving so many wonderful folks out as they are flooding my mind. But those three do rise to the top of my memory right away!

Fat_asian

Reaction score
First let me say it's a privilege to follow up a post by Fat Asian, I mean we must be birds of a feather! By the way, welcome aboard FA, were glad your here!

As for the coolest drummer I ever meet... that is hard to pick just one. Through my previous life I had the opportunity of meeting and working with hundreds of well known players and almost all of them were nice. I can remember a few that were a little stand offish but even they were not rude.

But thinking back through my memory, honorable mention would go to Joe Smyth of Sawyer Brow and a personal favorite, Tris Imboden (at that time with Kenny Loggins). But if I had to pick THE COOLEST for myself, it would be Derek Pellicci from the Little River Band. I had the opportunity to have dinner with him in the last week of his last tour in the states with LRB and we sat for hours and talked like we had been life long friends.

But even as I am writing this, I feel bad for leaving so many wonderful folks out as they are flooding my mind. But those three do rise to the top of my memory right away!
What's up fats? Hope you have a good day!

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Coolest drummer I've ever met . . . Duffy Jackson! Very cool and personable.

Last edited:

TrickRoll

Reaction score
Randy Marsh.

Cool in that he lives and breathes music, is totally dedicated to the art, and is generous with his support and promotion of other musicians.

And he is an extremely hip harmonica play

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Airto.

Honorable mention to Dave Weckl. Very nice, very down to earth, and a great sense of humor.

kevin klever

Reaction score
Got to play and hang with the legendary Senegalese percussion master Doudou N'Diaye Rose for a couple weeks in 2015 in Dakar. Look him up if you're not familiar.

Took a lesson with Mark Guiliana that same year, super nice dude and a great teacher as well. Dave King, Marcus Gilmore, Joey Baron, Jeff Ballard, Ari Hoenig, Dan Weiss, all lovely people. Drummers are good people, overwhelmingly.

OffbeatDrumCo

Reaction score
I met Gavin Harrison at his drum clinic a few years back. I asked him what he thought of RUSH. He said "I don't listen to RUSH". :(
This made me chuckle. I got a chance to spend some time talking to Gavin Harrison and he was incredibly friendly and down-to-earth, but he was also very matter-of-fact and this sums that up perfectly.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Clyde Stubblefield. He gave me a two-handed handshake and seemed genuinely happy to be having a conversation.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to meet a lot of famous or semi-famous drummers, but the one that stands out is Rikki Rockett of Poison. Due to a group gathering, I’ve sat next to him a few times and hung out quite a bit.

I think he liked me because I am not a fan and treat normal. Being from the east coast near Philadelphia, I think he liked I broke his balls about sheeet. We connected on martial arts as well, never talking drums or music once.

F2CE59DE-5124-4F90-BB6B-329AB9A5A45E.jpeg
9C4EA61D-EEB3-442E-8521-CFDCE426F0D0.jpeg

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lewis Nash and Jeff Sipe top my list for super nice and humble guys who shared some deep and inspiring drum wisdom with me.
Jeff Sipe is a pleasure. I hung out with him a few times. He and Count Mutumbo (sp?) from AQRU as well almost played with my band until my band was thrown off stage due to the singer having a Jim Morrison moment yelling, “&$@: you, Mr. Soundman.

Latest posts