Coolest drummer you ever met?

hsosdrum

Reaction score
One of my very best friends was a friend of Ginger Baker's while Ginger was living in the USA (all through the 1990s). While living in southern California during early 1992, Ginger had several drum students and invited them all to a barbecue one afternoon at his home, where Ginger would perform several unaccompanied drum solos. My friend got Ginger's permission for me to join them that day and record his playing (with the caveat that I not make copies, an agreement which I continue to honor).

Although Ginger was definitely rusty (he never touched the drums unless he was being paid to play, which is what made this such a unique gesture toward his students), by the end of the afternoon he had shaken off the rust and was playing things that had my head spinning. He definitely still had it.

After all the students had gone, my friend and I stayed for several hours, talking with Ginger and his then-wife Karen, playing games, listening to music, and through it all, Ginger was in great spirits, laughing and joking; making me feel quite welcome there. It was a day I'll treasure, and I'm eternally grateful to my friend for his thoughtfulness and to Ginger for his warm hospitality.

And of course, I have a souvenir of the occasion:

hsosdrum-and-GB-01_92.jpg

Maninblack

Reaction score
Dave Mattacks and Bruce Rowland, both of Fairport Convention and between them many other bands including Jethro Tull, Paul McCartney, Joan Armatrading, Joe Cocker.

Both absolute gentlemen.

markkarj

Reaction score
Definitely Dom Famularo. He was doing a clinic at a college in Victoria BC in 1995... we talked about Quebec separatism.

I remember he did his sound check but there was a nearby lecture going on. The instructor marched in and yelled, "How long do you intend to keep doing that?!?!?"

Dom replied with a smile, "Well hopefully for the rest of my life."

Although I didn't get any one-on-one discussion time, I'll also add Todd Sucherman. An amazing musician with a humble, down to earth approach.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rich Redmond is a great dude. I recently reached out to him for suggestions on cymbals and he let me know what he plays, which helped me decide on a new set up that I just ordered.

Wideglyd

Reaction score
I was living in the Bay Area for a few years in the early 90s. My wife (at the time) worked in the computer industry and her sales person (Linda) took us to a little jazz club just outside San Francisco one night. She knew I was a drummer and to my surprise David Garibaldi was playing with a trio at this club. It turns out that Linda and David dated years back and still remained close friends. Linda and my wife planned this outing to surprise me. I was absolutely awestruck and completely tongue tied the entire evening. He was just a great guy. Super down to earth, funny and zero ego. Wish I had been more comfortable.

Fat_asian

Reaction score
I met some drummer outside of the music store. We were both waiting to get in. He had a drumsticks necklace. I can't remember his name or anything like that but I promptly bought a sabian cymbal neckase because of his influence.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First let me say it's a privilege to follow up a post by Fat Asian, I mean we must be birds of a feather! By the way, welcome aboard FA, were glad your here!

As for the coolest drummer I ever meet... that is hard to pick just one. Through my previous life I had the opportunity of meeting and working with hundreds of well known players and almost all of them were nice. I can remember a few that were a little stand offish but even they were not rude.

But thinking back through my memory, honorable mention would go to Joe Smyth of Sawyer Brow and a personal favorite, Tris Imboden (at that time with Kenny Loggins). But if I had to pick THE COOLEST for myself, it would be Derek Pellicci from the Little River Band. I had the opportunity to have dinner with him in the last week of his last tour in the states with LRB and we sat for hours and talked like we had been life long friends.

But even as I am writing this, I feel bad for leaving so many wonderful folks out as they are flooding my mind. But those three do rise to the top of my memory right away!

Fat_asian

Reaction score
First let me say it's a privilege to follow up a post by Fat Asian, I mean we must be birds of a feather! By the way, welcome aboard FA, were glad your here!

As for the coolest drummer I ever meet... that is hard to pick just one. Through my previous life I had the opportunity of meeting and working with hundreds of well known players and almost all of them were nice. I can remember a few that were a little stand offish but even they were not rude.

But thinking back through my memory, honorable mention would go to Joe Smyth of Sawyer Brow and a personal favorite, Tris Imboden (at that time with Kenny Loggins). But if I had to pick THE COOLEST for myself, it would be Derek Pellicci from the Little River Band. I had the opportunity to have dinner with him in the last week of his last tour in the states with LRB and we sat for hours and talked like we had been life long friends.

But even as I am writing this, I feel bad for leaving so many wonderful folks out as they are flooding my mind. But those three do rise to the top of my memory right away!
What's up fats? Hope you have a good day!

Latest posts