Coolest drummer you ever met?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hands down, Matt Frenette from Loverboy back in the late 80s. One of the song writer's from my band wrote the title track to their 1987 album, Wildside, and we met up with them when they played Detroit. Matt was just so cool and down to earth. We talked drums for a couple hours. :)
He's a great drummer, by the way. Great feel, great taste, great chops.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Hands down, Matt Frenette from Loverboy back in the late 80s. One of the song writer's from my band wrote the title track to their 1987 album, Wildside, and we met up with them when they played Detroit. Matt was just so cool and down to earth. We talked drums for a couple hours. :)
Best guy in the band...

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Matt lives not far from me. I was in our local drum store one day when he came in. Super nice guy.

Gregg Bissonette, the late John Blackwell Jr., Bun E., Jason Patterson (Cry of Love), Rob Ladd (Alanis Morissette) are some of the kindest, most genuine people/drummers I've met. Jim Riley, Todd Sucherman (so funny!), too.

But I've found that drummers, in general, are very special. There's a real love for each other. Several non-drummers have commented to me that they can't believe how friendly we all are to each other.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I would have to say Louie Bellson. He was just so genuine and sincere. We shook hands, but he held on to my hand the entire time we spoke. One of the nicest people I have ever met.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy Aldridge - told this story a million times, in my teens I went a clinic he was doing and was the first one there, helped with getting the kit set.

Paul Leim - chatted with him a show Columbus percussion used to put on. He asked what kind of work I did and next thing I know he's asking me a million questions about fire and EMS.

Vinny Appice, Chester Thompson and my favorite, Rod Morgenstien all super nice guys.

Small world Amy, I talked to Jason a few times when he played with Chris Duarte. The band made a regular stop at a small blues bar down here in southern Ohio. Helped him set up once when they were running late to the club. Super nice guy and killer player. Actually Chris and the bassist then, can't remember his name were great as well.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would have to say Louie Bellson. He was just so genuine and sincere. We shook hands, but he held on to my hand the entire time we spoke. One of the nicest people I have ever met.
Louie for sure! I have a couple of personal stories. I briefly talked to him once at a clinic or a show someplace. Not too long after I was visiting Local 47 in Hollywood and in the parking lot there was Louie talking to a few friends, probably musicians. He spotted me and signaled for me to come over where he introduced me to his friends. He was so nice and didn't know my name but when introducing me he politely said, "I forgot your name." He didn't have to do any of that! Floored me.

Another time was funny. I was walking around the shopping mall in Pasadena, CA. Here comes Louie walking briskly towards me. I said, "Hi Louie! What are you doing here?" He was the musical director/drummer for wife Pearl Bailey's show that was happening in a couple of hours that night next door at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. He was frantically looking for a pair of black shoes to wear for the show. I pointed him to one or two shops that might accommodate.

Miss you, Louie.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Small world Amy, I talked to Jason a few times when he played with Chris Duarte. The band made a regular stop at a small blues bar down here in southern Ohio. Helped him set up once when they were running late to the club. Super nice guy and killer player. Actually Chris and the bassist then, can't remember his name were great as well.
Very cool! My bands have opened for Jason's bands several times and I chat with him every once in a while. He really is a great guy. And he still has that long hair! Haha. Yes, amazing player!

Latest posts