Coolest Drums I've Ever Heard!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's also called "Loose Walk" sometimes. Lots of great players have recorded that one. That Lyle and Large Band version is great though I don't like that super modern drum sound on a swing/hard bop classic (his playing in general and his breaks are amazing anyway though!)

Lou Donaldson has a completely different tune by the same name

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
It's also called "Loose Walk" sometimes. Lots of great players have recorded that one. That Lyle and Large Band version is great though I don't like that super modern drum sound on a swing/hard bop classic (his playing in general and his breaks are amazing anyway though!)

Lou Donaldson has a completely different tune by the same name
I've never heard the old, "traditional" iterations of this song until now. (Since I've been enlightened here.) Took a listen to them and, in retrospect, they sounded more primitive (but, albeit, classic performances).

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never heard the old, "traditional" iterations of this song until now. (Since I've been enlightened here.) Took a listen to them and, in retrospect, they sounded more primitive (but, albeit, classic performances).
I know what you mean, though I would have to respecfully disagree on the choice of words. It's usuly treated as a bit of a jam/blowing piece for soloists to play the blues on, rather than as an arranged showpiece for a band.
Dexter Gordon recorded it a bunch of times, check out this one for a clear precursor to the Lovett arrangement

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HA! I see what you did there.

Kit sounds great... he must be using only select "old growth" ice... you know... 'cause tonally it's the bestest!
I hate to say it but that deep blue OLD and super dense polar ice probably would be ever so slightly better...