header.nohb.html

Copper Snare - Limited Projection on Stage

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Tama G series copper, cast hoops, 42 strand wires. It was like the Marshall amp of snares; it just didn't sound good until you played it LOUD. It's like it was the opposite of what you're describing. When I played the kit in a steel drum band, it was my go to snare for them to hear. Life happened, and I needed to sell it. Then, in an effort to replace that SOUND, I bought an Acro Copper. The Acro Copper doesn't sound anything like the Tama. I'd like to have the Tama hammered you have! It sure is a looker.

Last edited by a moderator:

KillinBill66

Reaction score
Of course for those of us that play mostly low volume gigs like small group, this volume issue is a feature not a bug. I ordered my first copper snare today!
Which one did you get? I've been looking at copper snares for a few years and will probably get one soon...

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grab a Pork Pie copper. Drum flip in CA has a brand new one right now. I absolutely love mine

fitzsy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just arrived today.
DF386407-8C9A-470B-935F-691B6A50FBD1.jpeg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Of course for those of us that play mostly low volume gigs like small group, this volume issue is a feature not a bug. I ordered my first copper snare today!
My first copper was a Music-Yo Slingerland, which I should never have sold. I loved the quiet attribute, but was more into wood snare drums. I now have a George Way 6.5x14 copper that I acquired from a fellow DFO member here. I knew it would be quiet, and it does not disappoint. I have not been using it much (wood snare drums are still my preference), but for a wine bar, acoustic gig I would not hesitate to use it. Plus, it would be my go-to snare for any brush-only gigs. It (like the Music-Yo snare) excels at that.

iruderman

Reaction score
I’ve been using a 6.5x14 Gretsch Coated Copper snare for about a year now. I have no issues with volume at gigs. Now, I do mic everything, but even without, that drums cuts. Sounds awesome too! My sound guys love it.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah my pork pie doesn't have a volume issue at all. It may not be AS loud as my black beauty, but no issues being heard.