Corder vs Austin Fibes drums

pete2016

Reaction score
I exchanged few messages with someone who owns a Corder snare, Gretsch snare and drums as well as Fibes Austin snare and drums. He stated that his corder snare had the same shell as his gretsch toms and fibes toms however his Fibes snare had the same shell as his Gretsch snare which both have a thicker shell. So if this is the case then Jasper made 2 different Maple/gum shell one thin and one that is thicker (thin maple quilt inner and outer ply and thicker gum and maple ply inside.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
I only have one bop kit and two snare drums in my collection but, I'm a "Austin" era fan... IMO because of that beautiful 6ply Jasper sound and strong top shelf well made craftsmanship of each drum.

Trust me if, I could have found anymore Austin era snare drums & bop kits especially with old style railmounts, I would have purchased every one of them but unfortunately Fibes used big ugly tom mounts so, I passed on several of them.

As you can guess my bop kit was made somewhere around the 1999 to 2000 timeframe when Aqua Sparkle wrap was popular.

Attachments

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can anybody help me identify the era of these fibes? Considering buyinf them from a family friend, just trying to see if they’re worth buying and what might be a good price
i bought a basket case set of old Fibes at about $75 a shell. While those might be finished and the mounting hardware isn't fibes (tama?)...its at least worth what I paid (and it does have the bass spurs which are expensive to replace. Does it have a floor tom? Snare? Do you like how it sounds? Sizes... I'd like to think Fibes is a little like real estate...buy it...cuz they ain't making more...

Jolo

Reaction score
Hi pete2016,
Nice research. It's good to see my Amber Fibes snare went from the Minneapolis Craigslist to a good home.
I have Camco Oaklawn 8 lug snares covering my 60's Jasper shell sound which match my kits.
Your snare was part of a 16x22, 8x10, 10x12, and 12x14 for sale at a Minneapolis pawn shop. I love that Amber Finish.
The owner obviously didn't use the snare much but he or she sure were rough on the other drums.
The 16x22 has some nasty nicks and the bottom of the 10x12 was gouged out so I had it cut down to an 8x12, which I prefer.
I've been looking for a 20" with issues that could be cut down to a 12x20 for my 10, 12, and 14 but no luck yet.
A couple Oaklawn 20/12/14/snares are pictured.
Cheers,
Joe

Attachments

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Ive had three Fibes kits, all Austin. Just outstanding drums and I’m sorry I’ve unloaded any of them.

41E0BC99-DA1C-40FE-9368-B83A69C975DD.png
43D61FAC-09C8-4DDD-AB8D-E541BE44C817.png
675DF170-2B23-48D7-B0B1-9304856960B5.png

pgm554

Reaction score
Can anybody help me identify the era of these fibes? Considering buyinf them from a family friend, just trying to see if they’re worth buying and what might be a good price
Well it looks like a rewrap and it's got a Tama mount which isn't original.
Judgeing from the BD spurs ,I'd say it's a fiberglass shell which puts it late 60's / early 70's.

Under $500 would be a good price.
If there's too many extra holes or rust .play it by ear.
If a SFT 690 snare came with it, add $250 plus to the price depending upon condition of snare.
VG condition Fibes snares are often more than the price of the set.

Last edited:

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
i bought a basket case set of old Fibes at about $75 a shell. While those might be finished and the mounting hardware isn't fibes (tama?)...its at least worth what I paid (and it does have the bass spurs which are expensive to replace. Does it have a floor tom? Snare? Do you like how it sounds? Sizes... I'd like to think Fibes is a little like real estate...buy it...cuz they ain't making more...
Thank you for this, it’s only the 12, 13 toms and a 22” bass.

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
Well it looks like a rewrap and it's got a Tama mount which isn't original.
Judgeing from the BD spurs ,I'd say it's a fiberglass shell which puts it late 60's / early 70's.

Under $500 would be a good price.
If there's too many extra holes or rust .play it by ear.
If a SFT 690 snare came with it, add $250 plus to the price depending upon condition of snare.
VG condition Fibes snares are often more than the price of the set.
Thanks for the information, definitely re-wrapped and yes tama hardware. The guys wanted 80$ for the whole thing and some miscellaneous hardware, I don’t think he knew anything about drums let alone fibes. Look forward to re-heading them and getting a sound. Any tips for bass drum head?

2and4

Reaction score
I used to work at Tommy's Drum Shop in Austin through most of the 90's and at the time when Tommy bought the machinery/equipment from Darwin and moved it all to Austin. There was definitely no continuity in the shell design from Darwin, Tommy was going for a Gretsch style shell. He thought there would be value in the Fibes brand, even thought there was not initially the thought of making fiberglass drums (he later made fiberglass snares and crystalite sets), so he bought the rights to the name and the parts/ mechanisms (like SFT) that went with it. The SFT was a good strainer but could be pesky to deal with sometimes. It was a while back, but I do remember Tommy putting his all into those drums and I think the reason you don't see too many for sale these days is a testament to the quality and sound. People tend to hang on to them!