Corner Riser - how big?

jmato

Reaction score
The owner is putting a corner riser in our practice space for the drums. They want to know how far out from the corner the stage should be to accommodate a 5 piece kit with 5-6 cymbal stands (including hats). If you have ever figured out such a problem, what is your recommendation?

Thank you in advance.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say more than you'd think. When not in a corner my set takes up about a 5x6 foot area so figuring on some unusable area right behind you I'd say a min 7 foot from the corner out, 8 or 9 if room.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The math for this is fairly simple. Measure the space you need for your set, allowing room to get out from behind it. My set takes up a 6'x6' space, so say 7' wide by 6' deep. Tight, but doable.

Using my geometry from high school says that for a 7'x6' space you need to come out about 13.5' along both walls, assuming a rectangular space.

jmato

Reaction score
So, as is typical, the owner had already started building the riser when they thought to ask me. After I answered using the good input above, they sent me a photo, and fortunately the riser is quite big so there should be no issues.

Thank you for all the responses.

Browny

Reaction score
Make sure you factor in some healthy room behind the kit too... nothing worse than hitting your elbow on a back wall or having to move part of the kit to get in behind it.

Latest posts